Leica Q Repair Estimate

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My son pulled the Leica Q that was mounted on a tripod and it dropped on the asphalt ground at a National Park.
The camera body experience 2 small dings, no dings on the lens and I thought that was it, yet when I turned on the camera, it displayed SYSTEM ERROR OIS.
The error message shows up around 10 seconds after I turned on the camera and nothing is allowed after the message shows up, not even the accessing the menu or reviewing photos in the SD card.
Prior to the error message showing up, I can still get to the menu and review photos within that 10 seconds.

I brought it to the Leica store and it was sent back for repair estimate.
The estimate came back to be replacing the entire lens ($1250.00) plus labor ($312.50), and if I want to get the two dings fixed, it would also require new parts, top plate ($265) and bottom plate ($275). A $2100 to basically replace all the parts, include the lens, basically not a repair.

I am wondering if there are other options out there, since I basically can buy a used Leica Q with that price tag.
The Q have served me well, and I have taken a lot of photos with it during family trips.
I really want to get it fixed so don't end up with a useless piece of metal in the house.

@en604550 welcome to the forum!  I think we can all commiserate with your dilemma over your dearly departed Q - it's not a fate I would wish on a mortal enemy.  There is  only one course of action:  Consider your dead Q a total loss. 

Then take $5500 USD out of your son's college fund and buy a Q2. 

Like most of today's youth, it's likely he wouldn't take college seriously in the first place.  Then when your son turns college age, you can gift him your dead Q. 😎

Edited by Herr Barnack

Man, my condolences. Hopefully, maybe insurance or homeowener's policy might cover some of it?

If not, you may be able to get a few bucks on ebay for a dead one. I fell on my Canon 80D with the flash in the hotshoe and the flash went into the prism top of the camera and left a big hole where the flash she used to sit. Flash was fine, camera was not.  Ended up selling it like that on ebay with the charger and the battery for almost $200. It's worth a try if you ebay.

Edited by higa
17 minutes ago, higa said:

Man, my condolences. Hopefully, maybe insurance or homeowener's policy might cover some of it?

If not, you may be able to get a few bucks on ebay for a dead one. I fell on my Canon 80D with the flash in the hotshoe and the flash went into the prism top of the camera and left a big hole where the flash she used to sit. Flash was fine, camera was not.  Ended up selling it like that on ebay with the charger and the battery for almost $200. It's worth a try if you ebay.

6 hours ago, en604550 said:

My son pulled the Leica Q that was mounted on a tripod and it dropped on the asphalt ground at a National Park.
The camera body experience 2 small dings, no dings on the lens and I thought that was it, yet when I turned on the camera, it displayed SYSTEM ERROR OIS.
The error message shows up around 10 seconds after I turned on the camera and nothing is allowed after the message shows up, not even the accessing the menu or reviewing photos in the SD card.
Prior to the error message showing up, I can still get to the menu and review photos within that 10 seconds.

I brought it to the Leica store and it was sent back for repair estimate.
The estimate came back to be replacing the entire lens ($1250.00) plus labor ($312.50), and if I want to get the two dings fixed, it would also require new parts, top plate ($265) and bottom plate ($275). A $2100 to basically replace all the parts, include the lens, basically not a repair.

I am wondering if there are other options out there, since I basically can buy a used Leica Q with that price tag.
The Q have served me well, and I have taken a lot of photos with it during family trips.
I really want to get it fixed so don't end up with a useless piece of metal in the house.

if you had your Q scheduled on your homeowners/renters/condo policy it may be covered for accidental damage and loss... call your insurance agent and ask..

this is a very good reason to schedule your cameras on your home policy...

Edited by prk60091