How good is the focusing on the SL2-S with the new firmware?

Laertes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just finished up a concert shoot, Indigo Girls, using the SL2 with the latest firmware installed.  Came away very impressed. With pre-focus enabled, field, AFs, shooting with Lumix glass, 16-35 and 70-200 F2.8 + STC1.4, I can't recall any significant hunting nor more than a handful of shots missed out of 500+ due to focus issues despite the rather challenging conditions. Tremendous improvement, particularly with non-Leica glass which previously was more problematic under similar shooting conditions.  I'd add, perhaps all in my imagination as I don't recall any discussion on the subject, but noise levels seemed slightly improved as well. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 4:43 AM, hansvons said:

This is right, of course. But I want to point out that the SL2-S shows only in AF-C a mediocre performance. In any other mode, it does what one expects an AF to do when it was 2018. So what you get is a solid AF that doesn't leave questions when shooting portraits in action, plus the fabulous Leica colour and all the other merits that come with the brand. BUT, if you want to shoot birds in flight or fast sports action, get the flagship of one of the Nippon manufacturers. AF is their domain, and no one comes close to what Canon, Nikon and Sony (A1 is supposed to be an AF monster, so is the R5, from my experience) offer. But none of them delivers colour as Leica does. It all depends on your preferences. Choices, choices...

I managed to get sharp focus with my Minolta 5000AF back in the 1980's when AF was like a slower version of R2-D2 and we were still using film, so I don't see any problem with  the SL2s which is plenty fast enough for most things. I've managed birds in flight no problem with slower AF systems than the SL2s which I'm using now.You don't need the fastest AF system, just need to practice with the one you've got.