M10-D production numbers?

Datsch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, petermullett said:

Great, good to hear!

Totally agree about Fotos, it's pathetic........But once the camera is set up with Fotos you can pretty much never use it again until there's a change you want to make. I've not changed my M10-D's setup for two or more years and I never use Fotos for viewing the images, ( what's the point? ).

100%. But the wifi icon is still there and bothers me. It adds an ugly touch of modernity I’m a timeless design. Such a pity. 
My biggest gripe with the camera is that I cant format the card without using the app. 

1 minute ago, Steven said:

100%. But the wifi icon is still there and bothers me. It adds an ugly touch of modernity I’m a timeless design. Such a pity. 
My biggest gripe with the camera is that I cant format the card without using the app. 

With you in all of that too.....It should have been more like the original MD but in the M10 body size and shape with no Wifi stuff at all.

I've had intermittant troubles formatting SD cards in camera........Sent the camera back to Wetzlar twice for attention and it's still not 100% with that function....Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. So now I just format the SD cards on my Mac, or even format a few of them in my M10-P, then use them on the M10-D, that works fine. Better than trying to kickstart the flakey WiFi connection, quicker too! 

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2021 at 5:46 AM, sinjun said:

I got the one from MPB - sorry to have pipped you!  I've been watching them come up occasionally for some time, and the price on this one was too good to pass up. I'm sure there'll be other opportunities for you.  Condition is virtually mint but I can't get it to work with Fotos on my phone, which will be a problem if I can't get it resolved.

For connecting to Fotos, first, before starting the Fotos App,

1.) enable the WiFi setting on the back wheel.

2.)Wait for the blinking light at the bottom righthand corner to stop (no more light). 

3.) Startup the Fotos App, You should see your camera's identity spinning to access. If not you will have to register the QR code that is associated with your camera. This is located on the bottom side of the camera, once you remove the bottom plate.

On 9/14/2021 at 10:43 AM, petermullett said:

With you in all of that too.....It should have been more like the original MD but in the M10 body size and shape with no Wifi stuff at all.

I've had intermittant troubles formatting SD cards in camera........Sent the camera back to Wetzlar twice for attention and it's still not 100% with that function....Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. So now I just format the SD cards on my Mac, or even format a few of them in my M10-P, then use them on the M10-D, that works fine. Better than trying to kickstart the flakey WiFi connection, quicker too! 

You can format your card using the Fotos App

On 9/8/2021 at 2:51 PM, Datsch said:

@humerc @benqui  thanks for the serial numbers

@fabior   @egrossman thanks for that, another two new batches ...

Here is the current list of M10-D Batch numbers, implying a total production run of 1400 units:

53265xx    
53323xx        
53324xx
53325xx    
53326xx
53327xx
53332xx
54883xx        
54885xx        
54908xx        
54911xx    
54925xx
55003xx    
55004xx

Anyone who has an M10-D with a serial number not in those series then please do let us know about it ...

55014xx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/14/2021 at 3:40 AM, Datsch said:

@Steven is that net sales you're talking about?

Call it 2000 units, at $/E/£7000 each retail. Half goes to the VAT and the retailer. That's 2000 * 7000 / 2 = 7million for Leica's production and marketing and profit.

Sure margins may be low, they may be high, but let's say 10% net profit on 7m which is 700,000

Of course, there are pretty much fixed startup costs of introducing a new model -- R&D, design, testing, tooling, sourcing parts (eg rotary backplate ISO dials ...😄 )

So it's more like 'how many units before it starts to wash its face' and then after that you're churning them out with a decent profit per unit.

We might get a clue from limited edition runs which we must presume are profitable ... they often have extremely small R&D and startup costs as changes are mostly cosmetic (eg sourcing a batch of different coloured leather, setting up the CNC machines for a different engraving, etc), plus they charge more for the product. So even a little change is expensive to make.

The -D's have much harder stuff to produce -- new firmware, new backplate, new dials, so would need to be sold in more than limited edition numbers?

I think the whole chasis is different from the other M10's. The only thing they can source from the bins are the genius thumb rests recycled from the M2's. That nickel Helier 50 f2 LTM was limited to only 600 units.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by OfeyKalakar
sp error
  • Like 3

Am 8.9.2021 um 14:51 schrieb Datsch:

@humerc @benqui  thanks for the serial numbers

@fabior   @egrossman thanks for that, another two new batches ...

Here is the current list of M10-D Batch numbers, implying a total production run of 1400 units:

53265xx    
53323xx        
53324xx
53325xx    
53326xx
53327xx
53332xx
54883xx        
54885xx        
54908xx        
54911xx    
54925xx
55003xx    
55004xx

Anyone who has an M10-D with a serial number not in those series then please do let us know about it ...

55002xx

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/25/2021 at 7:29 PM, wimdev said:

I found at least one M10-P on ebay with a similar serial number (5488592), so perhaps not all of the batches were solely assigned to M10-D's.

My M10-D is 5488428 by the way, filling in the gap between 54883xx and 54885xx.

Willem

Thanks for the serial number, that now makes 27 batches or a theoretical 2700 units.

And even more thanks for finding that 54884xx contains an M10-P! That really does question the idea that all batches are fully built out (ie 100 made per batch) and that they are exclusively one type of camera. The M10-P in question is/was for sale at Leica Lisse in Holland and is a Royal Selangor Pewter Edition.

Perhaps Leica squeezed it in that batch as there were only ten of the Royal Selangors made?

I've looked at 9 other M10-Ps today and so far none of them share an M10-D batch, but I will keep looking ...

Enjoy  your new -D!

Edited by Datsch

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...