M10-D production numbers?

Datsch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Using the same method as in the M-D thread https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/297947-m-d-type-262-production-numbers/ I had a quick go at seeing how many batches of 100 might have been made using serial numbers. (We gathered serial numbers and found only 15 batches, implying 1500 M-D's in existence. )

For these M10-D numbers I took only serial numbers that have been published, either as an image, eg in a review or for sale picture, or from EXIF info shared on flickr.

So that makes 11 batches I have found so far, which implies a production of 1100 cameras. I expect a few more batches to be out there.

If you have a serial number that is not in these series, please post it (you can xx out the last 2 digits if you are shy) ...

Thanks

Edited by Datsch

How do you extract batch numbers from the serial numbers?  Leica’s camera serial numbers are apparently not sequential within a batch - we’ve been told here a number of times that the hotshots, with the serial numbers, are just released  in bulk and then fitted to the cameras are they come out of the box.  I don’t think we’ve ever known how many numbers are released with each batch of production …

Does that makes sense?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

How do you extract batch numbers from the serial numbers?  Leica’s camera serial numbers are apparently not sequential within a batch - we’ve been told here a number of times that the hotshots, with the serial numbers, are just released  in bulk and then fitted to the cameras are they come out of the box.  I don’t think we’ve ever known how many numbers are released with each batch of production …

Does that makes sense?

Yes, on the M-D thread we found about 90 serial numbers and some with dates and did find that dates are not at all sequential with the serial numbers.

For the batch numbers we did however find a good set of ranges to indicate that it is fairly typical for all 100 to be built out, for example, there are serial numbers ending 00 as well as 99 and many imbetween. I appreciate that that is only speculation and there is a possibility that much less were made and not all batches were fully produced.

It's just to get an idea of relative rarity and helping people decide on value and whether it's worth getting a spare camera etc etc

Edited by Datsch
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, lucy63 said:

Hey thanks for that, another new batch, bringing us to an estimated 1300 units.

BTW, not being nosey (OK, I am being nosey) but did you get the M10-D instead of the M10-P you were interested in? Congrats! Was it the one on mpb? I saw it too on Thursday evening and slept on it, decided to go for it, went down for breakfast and fired up the computer to find it had already sold! A really great price I might add; I hope you bond with it and enjoy it.

Edited by Datsch

1 hour ago, Datsch said:

Hey thanks for that, another new batch, bringing us to an estimated 1300 units.

BTW, not being nosey (OK, I am being nosey) but did you get the M10-D instead of the M10-P you were interested in? Congrats! Was it the one on mpb? I saw it too on Thursday evening and slept on it, decided to go for it, went down for breakfast and fired up the computer to find it had already sold! A really great price I might add; I hope you bond with it and enjoy it.

Hi..No problem.

I got the M10-D from London Camera exchange. It's mint and beautiful, I'm very pleased.

I got the one from MPB - sorry to have pipped you!  I've been watching them come up occasionally for some time, and the price on this one was too good to pass up. I'm sure there'll be other opportunities for you.  Condition is virtually mint but I can't get it to work with Fotos on my phone, which will be a problem if I can't get it resolved.

1 hour ago, sinjun said:

I got the one from MPB - sorry to have pipped you!  I've been watching them come up occasionally for some time, and the price on this one was too good to pass up. I'm sure there'll be other opportunities for you.  Condition is virtually mint but I can't get it to work with Fotos on my phone, which will be a problem if I can't get it resolved.

I hope you can resolve that, hmm?..can't think of a reason why Foto's wouldn't work.. How much was your M10-D? If you don't mind me asking. 

8 hours ago, sinjun said:

Ha, no worries, you saw it and acted; I'm sure you will get a lot of use out of it. Is it part of one of the existing batches we have found, above?

9 hours ago, sinjun said:

The most common mistake is turning on WiFi on the camera, then not waiting for the green light to stop flashing before connecting to the camera on your phone.  Good luck - it can try your patience, but it does work.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Datsch said:

Is it part of one of the existing batches we have found, above?

Yes - I'm assuming you got the SN off the MPB photo.

11 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

The most common mistake is turning on WiFi on the camera, then not waiting for the green light to stop flashing before connecting to the camera on your phone.  Good luck - it can try your patience, but it does work.

Thanks for the suggestion but that's not it. I can get it to work on my wife's phone (also Android) so it's a bit of an odd one. It connects then crashes on mine before I can do anything.