M10R sleeping

jtm10R

Advertisement (gone after registration)

after a while of not shooting, say about 15 minutes (though the camera has remained on), I suddenly saw something to click but missed it because the camera was asleep and the first press of the shutter button only woke up the camera but didn’t trigger the shutter. 

is this normal and has anyone else experienced this? if so, any suggestions on how this can be circumvented?

Tap the shutter button before you raise the camera to your eye. by the time you have framed and focused the camera will respond instantly. Better still, tap the shutter button as soon as you see a photographic situation developing. Film users have learned to advance the film this way.

• Like 1

Ya, just give the shutter release a tap as a situation starts to evolve.  Typically my M10P is ready to work by time I’ve got the scene framed.  

It’s quick enough in my opinion, can’t think of a “decisive moment” I’ve missed because of the camera.

I have my sleep setting at 2 minutes, I’d set it shorter if I could.

17 hours ago, jtm10R said:

after a while of not shooting, say about 15 minutes (though the camera has remained on), I suddenly saw something to click but missed it because the camera was asleep and the first press of the shutter button only woke up the camera but didn’t trigger the shutter. 

is this normal and has anyone else experienced this? if so, any suggestions on how this can be circumvented?

That's normal and that's how power saving works.

You could try Main Menu -> Auto Power Saving and either increase the timer or set it to off.  

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Kwesi:

Great workaround suggestions from both Jaapv and KFo.

Here's hoping that the M11 will join the ranks of a few other top notch cameras that don't require the work around.

This is no „workaround“, that just the way it works, also for a lot of other „top notch“ cameras - some time is always required for wake-up. Here it is so short that I never faced any issue if I do what has been recommended.

3 hours ago, jtm10R said:

although not sure what takes up power when auto power saving is off? 

Second battery may be the right answer 😉.

Depending on how many frames one takes.

I don't have M10-R, but as seen from day one that M10's battery life was very short, I ordered second battery.

So with second fully charged battery in one pocket, I leave the M10 "on" without power saving.

Only when the second battery in use that I know from there I would not use Visoflex 020 or LCD ...

Digital M must be learned to use in one's own style.

I'd tap the button anyway when taking the M10 to eye level to have the framelines ready.

Edited by a.noctilux

10 hours ago, Helge said:

This is no „workaround“, that just the way it works, also for a lot of other „top notch“ cameras - some time is always required for wake-up. Here it is so short that I never faced any issue if I do what has been recommended.

Yes,

I understand that with digital M's this is normal and not considered a workaround.

On the other hand, the OP like so many others before him/her, have been caught off guard by this.

Anyway not Leica bashing or intending to prolong this, just pointing out that not very other digital camera does this and quite frankly it would be nice if Leica addresses this in a future model.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My recollection is that this was not a problem with the M9, or much less of one - can any one with a M9 confirm? I don't remember finding it irritating till I got the M240; it was another reason for not getting the M10 when I found it was not improved.

Not all of us are paying attention all the time with our fingers on the shutter button, especially if we're playing with small entertaining and photogenic children. Also, I did some tests with the M240, to see if I could sweep the camera quickly to my eye and take an instant shot while waking it from sleep as I did so. I could not - it still needed a slight extra delay for the camera to wake up.

Perhaps this is a CMOS characteristic, but not CCD.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Kwesi:

... just pointing out that not very other digital camera does this ...

EVERY digital camera I know of does this. Else, you have people whining about the battery going dead after too few shots etc. Just do what Jaapv had suggested and everything is fine.

vor 21 Stunden schrieb Helge:

If you have switched-off LV and w/o EVF: the sensor and all other electronics 

With current digital M cameras, another source of power consumption is the LED used to lighten up the brightline frames in the viewfinder.

• Like 1

vor 51 Minuten schrieb LocalHero1953:

to see if I could sweep the camera quickly to my eye and take an instant shot while waking it from sleep as I did so. I could not - it still needed a slight extra delay for the camera to wake up.

I currently do not own an M10 (used one over the last weekend though), but isn't it possible to turn power saving off entirely? Or set it to, say, 15 minutes or so, such that the camera won't enter the sleeping mode prematurely?

6 minutes ago, wizard said:

I currently do not own an M10 (used one over the last weekend though), but isn't it possible to turn power saving off entirely? Or set it to, say, 15 minutes or so, such that the camera won't enter the sleeping mode prematurely?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2 hours ago, wizard said:

My tests were with the M240, and IIRC it was possible to turn off power saving on it as well. This workaround works, but its value depends on how much you want to save power.

This is a design fault - perhaps unavoidable and inherent in CMOS sensors - for which we can always find workarounds. And it is not up there with major design flaws. Just an irritating behaviour I would rather not have had.

The CL, which I moved to as my casual camera for quick shots, behaves the same way - but then it has never been Leica's performance flag carrier (it has other merits), so I'm willing to excuse it.