CL - regular service or repair when needed?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can one even send a fully functional CL back to Wetzlar/ elsewhere for regular servicing? I can’t seem to find it offered anywhere. Or, should one wait for it to develop an actual fault or become broken by other means before considering any maintenance?

After either, does it come back with a renewed all-risks warranty?

Modern cameras, with mostly electronic functional bits other than the shutter, better sealing against weather and crud (even the not officially stated to be sealed ones), etc, don't need anywhere near as much servicing as older, mechanically timed cameras do. If you shoot a lot in very dusty, damp, or otherwise nasty environments, sending a digital camera in for a cleaning is still a good idea, but you'd need to do it about 20x more infrequently than for any film camera I ever owned.

A digital Leica CL has few moving parts other than the dials, buttons, and shutter mechanism so the usual precautionary, regular servicing is rarely required. I haven't had a digital camera that needed any service other than to fix a problem that surfaced through abuse yet.

G

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1