problems after resale of a CL

cirke

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Totally agree with @Boojay and @LocalHero1953 and many others here, the reason you buy a used item privately is to get a better price than a dealer, but you take more of a risk...risk/ reward .

I have sold and bought dozens of bodies and lenses on a photo forum here in the US over 17 years, I only had one lemon in all that time and accept it as part of the risk. For me 5 months is way too long. you have no idea if the camera was dropped, knocked abused or just plain broke...it happens to most electronics at some point. Sorry but I would not buy it back or pay for any part of a repair.

• Like 3

There would have been no warranty with this camera. From a legal perspective the vendor has no obligations. If the camera was unsatisfactory at the start then it should have been reported to the vendor at that stage and returned. 5 months later that 'right of rejection' no longer exists with a private vendor.

There is no more to this than that.

William 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I buy anything on the used market that is very expensive I usuall film myself opening the package and testing the unit, camera, lens whatever. If I find any faults or unreported damage, I contact the seller directly on the same day with images to back it up.

As a buyer, if I waited 3 months and found an issue I would consider it to be my responsibility and take it on the chin myself.

I think it is very kind of you to be considering offering towards the repair. I would not offer a % but wait for the repair sheet with total cost and then decide if you wish to make a donation.

• Like 1

Even the buyer is a nice person, this is really not a common request and sounds like to take advantage from a nice seller.

If we are not sure, It may be always better to state the warranty no longer available. It is a private sale. As-is, but guarantee as described and not D.O.A. 

Also after a week or two, I sincerely feel there is no moral obligation. If I were the first owner, I would only assist the warranty repair if Leica requires. I would not do anything more than that, and I never encountered or read on the forums that any reasonable person (the buyer) could request anything more than that.

If the buyer has this potential desire, we sincerely remind the buyer to pay the full price or find a demo with warranty from the dealers. 

Edited by steve.chang
  • Like 1

So...if I'm reading this correctly, you sold camera in April and 5 months later the buyer says it's not working? Well, there is no way I would buy back camera or anything else. Totally unreasonable for this buyer to ask for your assistance to repair or refund them for purchase. The buyer's had it for 5 months!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Now I have to say Hello

I bought the Leica CL.

1. Bought the camera for a journey to Italy in April ( inkl. 3 Batteries) ( very good packed) ( Very good outside) 

2. Bought a new lense end of May ( 1.4 /35 )

3 My first Digital Camera . Using M5 for normal

4. Asked before buying , How many pictures are been taken. Told me. Not so many , because used the camera for walking along the near river . About 600

5. First check in May. About 40 pictures . ( Was surprised an not amazed) Asked the Local dealer in Düsseldorf . ( Told me not ok)

6. After a month there were only 30 pictures possible. ( Phoned Leica. The told me not ok)

7. I informed the seller. I told me , Probably a problem with the charger.

8. Before i bought 2 new akkus and after Nr 7 I bought a new charger ( about 300 euro together)

9. Before my journey there where only 25 pictures possible ( Made the most pictures with the camera from my wife)

10. During my traveling I had to change the akku after 20 pictures 

11. I informed the seller again after the travel

12. He informed the community and wrote me regards to my bad luck

13. I  had the choice to throw the camera away or to send it to Leica

14 I I sendet the camera to Leica.

15. By the way . I am Dipl. Ing  Electronic. If a failure had this timeline 40 / 30 / 20 . It had before the 40 a beginning

16. I write this not for the money. I wrote it for the truth, from my side

17. Using Leica cameras since 45 years. So you can imaging I am quite old and jumping not through the jungle

18. I am courios for the comments

19. I will will informe you what Leica is writing

20 Regards Peter

Still, if you buy privately you buy without guarantee. It is on the buyer to check out the camera as soon as it arrives, an honest buyer will take it back within a reasonable time, say a week. After five months there is no comeback. BTW, there is no way to get a reliable number for shutter actuationson the CL. Also it has an electronic shutter so that number is useless anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karlgitarre said:

1. Bought the camera for a journey to Italy in April [...]
5. First check in May. About 40 pictures . ( Was surprised an not amazed) Asked the Local dealer in Düsseldorf . ( Told me not ok)

Sorry for your problem Peter. You knew that your camera was not OK in May if i understand well. Did you warn the seller then?

2 hours ago, Karlgitarre said:

Now I have to say Hello

I bought the Leica CL.

1. Bought the camera for a journey to Italy in April ( inkl. 3 Batteries) ( very good packed) ( Very good outside) 

2. Bought a new lense end of May ( 1.4 /35 )

3 My first Digital Camera . Using M5 for normal

4. Asked before buying , How many pictures are been taken. Told me. Not so many , because used the camera for walking along the near river . About 600

6. After a month there were only 30 pictures possible. ( Phoned Leica. The told me not ok)

7. I informed the seller. I told me , Probably a problem with the charger.

8. Before i bought 2 new akkus and after Nr 7 I bought a new charger ( about 300 euro together)

9. Before my journey there where only 25 pictures possible ( Made the most pictures with the camera from my wife)

10. During my traveling I had to change the akku after 20 pictures 

11. I informed the seller again after the travel

12. He informed the community and wrote me regards to my bad luck

13. I  had the choice to throw the camera away or to send it to Leica

14 I I sendet the camera to Leica.

15. By the way . I am Dipl. Ing  Electronic. If a failure had this timeline 40 / 30 / 20 . It had before the 40 a beginning

16. I write this not for the money. I wrote it for the truth, from my side

17. Using Leica cameras since 45 years. So you can imaging I am quite old and jumping not through the jungle

18. I am courios for the comments

19. I will will informe you what Leica is writing

20 Regards Peter

As i said you later , I used this camera for 3 events (2 weddings and  a climbing competition)  outside these 3 events I did very few photos, I sent you 3 screenshots of Lightroom that prove without a doubt that during these 3 events the batteries could do at least 250 or 300 frames, therefore it was not from the beginning at all

I can send you another screenshot from February with 72 pictures (with only one battery and it was not empty)

you said that the camera was working in P mode only, I never use P mode , I use M mode only , with M SL or CL

I will NEVER sell a broken camera , I see 4 possibilities : 1) the camera was shocked during shipping, 2) you did something wrong with it, 3) bad luck, 4) it comes from the reset

I have sold many M gear from the M9 to your CL without any problem with nobody

Once again I am very sorry for what happened

Edited by cirke

Well, Leica will sort it I'm sure. I am sorry for your bad fortune, but it is a risk of buying privately - return immediately as "not matching description", if you don't you are on your own. The seller cannot be responsible for whatever happens after the sale.  Buying from a dealer or professional seller will get you a guarantee for a stated period of time, but that is what you pay for.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello together

Now the end of the story ( Happy end)

The camera returned from Leica. 

They cleaned the camera , even the lense. There was no failure found.

I had several calls with the service. It was all very friendly and helpful. 

Now, I can take more than 200 pictures with the camera. The camera is working proper now.  The batterie symbol is now on the screen.

Nobody knows the reason.

I did not have to pay for cleaning, testing and shipping.

Thanks to all

• Like 12