Got an M-P 240 & Summicron 50mm f/2

Camaro5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Picked up an M-P 240 & Summicron 50mm f/2 today.  It's in really nice condition except for some very minor brassing along a couple of edges.  The sensor needed cleaning and it needed a firmware update, which I attended to, but other than that it works perfectly.  The few photos I took around the yard are very nice.  Even my wife commented on how clear & sharp the photos are.  I did some basic Lightroom adjustments to them, but not much.  It only took a little while to get it cleaned, updated, and set up the way I wanted it.  

I also shot a few on my 21mm Super-Elmar-M f/3.4 which I was using on my CL but I may trade this for a 28mm Elmarit-M f/2.8 ASPH.  The 28mm is more practical for the type of shooting I do and the 21mm is just too wide on the M-P.  That would give me two lenses to work with for now.  

Overall, I'm happy with it.  Really like the rangefinder and I find the focusing to be fast and easy.  My only complaint (and I'm being picky) is that to see what the exposure compensation is doing you have to be in live view or have an EVF.  Not sure abut using an EVF on this, but I am used to using the EC on the CL a lot, so that will take some getting used to.  

• Like 3

Guest BlackBarn

I’m very pleased with my 240 MP too. Surprised how nice it feels in the hand. There is/was a lot of chatter about it being a brick compared to the m10 but there is hardly any difference and I prefer the shape and weight  of the 240 compared to the M10M and I love that camera.  I also find the focusing very easy. I do have the evf and sure both this and the one for the m10’s need to be improved but they are useful when using my 1.4 , 1.2 and .95.  

Congrats - the camera has character and wishing you lots of special moments using it.

11 hours ago, david strachan said:

The Exposure Compensation is show in the viewfinder as LED numbers in 1/3 stop increments, plus and minus EV's. 

I should have explained it better.  I know the EC values are displayed in the viewfinder but what I meant to say was you need the EVF (or live view) to see the effect EC is having on the exposure.   

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 6:08 AM, kivis said:

Another happy M-P 240 user. I have my Summicron 50mm f/2  on it 95% of the time. Other times I use a CV 21 f3.5 Asph lens. Feel no need for an EVF. I also use a Match Technical black on brass Thumbs Up.

I love my thumbs up on my 240 but when using my 24mm I've been using the finder, which negates the thumbs up unfortunately. I might ditch the finder and just keep using the thumbs up. Do you use a finder with the 21mm?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love the M240; I compared the rangefinder with the one of the M10, but really, there is no ‘great’ difference. 
The 50mm cron is great. Great in its capability to isolate things. With the M240 I can focus within the mm with this lens.

I like to underexpose manually; the exposure indication (the triangles) work well to give me an indication of the half stop I want. But I do it by hand, not by setting it as preset.

The next most used is 35mm, and recently, 24mm. I have the 21 but indeed it feels too wwide.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:41 AM, bdolzani said:

I love my thumbs up on my 240 but when using my 24mm I've been using the finder, which negates the thumbs up unfortunately. I might ditch the finder and just keep using the thumbs up. Do you use a finder with the 21mm?

No. I just switch to Live View.

• Like 1

While Thumbs-Up is a fine accessory, I replaced mine (for both M9 and M-P) with a Thumbie. The Thumbie does not use the accessory shoe, it is attached with an automotive  double sided tape (I gather the type used to attach car name symbols). I have had mine attached for a few years now and they never moved. Contact Steve Barnett at barnet@globalnet.co.uk

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 8:41 AM, bdolzani said:

I just sold my 24 to fund a 21 . I use the EVF-2 for my 75 , I used the EVF-2 occasionally with the 24, it’s really not required in my opinion. For the 21 it’s pretty much required if you want to see the full frame….. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rsolomon said:

I just sold my 24 to fund a 21 . I use the EVF-2 for my 75 , I used the EVF-2 occasionally with the 24, it’s really not required in my opinion. For the 21 it’s pretty much required if you want to see the full frame….. 

and the EVF2 allows you to easily use the level feature, which is most useful. At the time, I opted not to trade the M-P for an M 10 because it lacked that feature, of course the M10P does have it.

• Like 1