What's going on here????

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a pristine D-Lux 7 a couple of months ago from an (apparently) well respected dealer.

Camera seems super, and I am really happy with the results so far.

However I was giving it a clean and noticed that part of the "O" and a complete "F" have disappeared from the word "OFF" at the on/off switch..... photo attached.

I don't for one minute think a company like Leica would produce a camera where the text wears off so quickly?

The seller sent me lots of close-ups before I bought, and the full word "Off" is clearly there. I've taken maybe around 1000 shots only, but won't have switched it on/off anything like that many times, I'm sure.

Everything else seems fine (except for a missing "Wi-Fi" section in the menu but Fotos works OK so assume that's me not reading the manual well enough yet.)

Has anyone else had experience of this..... or have I bought a copy/fake??? I can't believe it's a copy because it works so well.... but equally I can't believe the text has rubbed off so quickly either!

Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

I posted same on DP Review forum too.... any insights from anywhere would be great!

Thanks.

8021df377190422f965c6965501f03c6

You do realize that the -Lux cameras (C-Lux, V-Lux, D-Lux, Digilux) are in no way "produced" by Leica?

They are produced entirely by Panasonic in Japan, or China. Even the LEICA-branded lenses are Panasonic designs "authorized by Leica" to carry that label - and are used in the Panasonic-branded versions as well.

They do get their own firmware programming, so that the splash screen on startup says    Leica  , and possibly to adjust the image processing to Leica's taste.

The "D-Lux 7" is a Panasonic DC-LX100 II, made with a slightly different casing and color, to Leica's specs. In Panasonic's factory in China, as the CE label on the bottoms declares.

(Which of course does not mean it is not a fine camera for its specs, with nice analog control rings/dials.)

(You will have to copy/paste the first link below to your browser, for some reason).

https://leica-review.com/leica-d-lux-7-camera/

https://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dclx100ii

Edited by adan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, adan said:

You do realize that the -Lux cameras (C-Lux, V-Lux, D-Lux, Digilux) are in no way "produced" by Leica?

They are produced entirely by Panasonic in Japan, or China. Even the LEICA-branded lenses are Panasonic designs "authorized by Leica" to carry that label - and are used in the Panasonic-branded versions as well.

They do get their own firmware programming, so that the splash screen on startup says    Leica  , and possibly to adjust the image processing to Leica's taste.

The "D-Lux 7" is a Panasonic DC-LX100 II, made with a slightly different casing and color, to Leica's specs. In Panasonic's factory in China, as the CE label on the bottoms declares.

(Which of course does not mean it is not a fine camera for its specs, with nice analog control rings/dials.)

(You will have to copy/paste the first link below to your browser, for some reason).

https://leica-review.com/leica-d-lux-7-camera/

https://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dclx100ii

Yes I do realise the camera is a Panasonic made in China. And I also realise that LEICA have decided to endorse the camera by putting their name and logo on it.

A consumer like me assumes, reasonably, that if LEICA endorse a product it meets their standards. This is reinforced by the fact that the DL7 has a 2 year warranty but the Panny has 1.

If LEICA are going to approve such sh***y workmanship, their reputation is going to go down the toilet pretty damn fast.

Can't print letters on metal that last more than a couple of thousand tactile wipes? What garbage.Even Panasonic are better than that.

I have taken it up with the German office and have yet to receive a reply. I will update when / if I get one. That's if I haven't been banned - I get the feeling this is a pretty insular forum. 🤣

Edited by Geoff777
  • Haha 1

And after a few more swipes, the whole word has gone. 

Astounding..... so much for the superlative engineering.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

David, I share your pain.

Our experience with lettering on the Miele equipment we used in our kitchen installed in 2005: gas hob (illegible but no problem it’s fine as controls are obvious) , dishwasher (still legible), oven & steam oven (just legible) but the microwave lettering was illegible within 5 years. No surprise that there was no faceplate replacement part available so we had to replace the microwave oven 😡 with no goodwill discount.  Having said that, it has all been very reliable now 16 years old.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

@Geoff777, perhaps a little perspective might be useful.  

It’s a second hand item. You have no idea what the previous owner’s habits were with the camera. Perhaps they cleaned it with a corrosive substance after every use and the “off” started to lift. Perhaps, more likely, they habitually turned it off between shots, and after thousands of cycles, their thumb rubbing on the “off” caused it to lift.

None of these matters are within Leica or Panasonic’s control, and neither is it so unreasonable that an item should show wear, particularly it it’s limited to the stencilled “off” lettering. You can still see which is “off” and which is “on”. 

For that matter, what did you use to clean it? I ask because I used an alcohol wipe on my M2 once, which removed the “AUF” on the baseplate. Yes it’s 60 year old paint, but it had survived that long until I attacked it with a corrosive substance. My mistake. Big deal. 

Maybe just calm down and enjoy the camera for its utility. In the scheme of things, is it really worth obsessing over the word “off”?  Better to focus on what it does when it’s “on” :)

Enjoy!

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Geoff777 said:

Can't print letters on metal that last more than a couple of thousand tactile wipes? What garbage.

The markings on the lens of my Digilux 2 crumbled and fell off while the camera was still under guarantee. It spent the next five months at Milton Keynes.

On 9/5/2021 at 5:24 PM, roydonian said:

The markings on the lens of my Digilux 2 crumbled and fell off while the camera was still under guarantee. It spent the next five months at Milton Keynes.

Most were missing on mine when I bought it.  But the setting is visible on the screen/EVF so I just went out and used it. :)

• Like 1

Update for those that may be a little interested....

The Head Office of Leica in the country where I live eventually got back to me.

This is apparently a known issue..... they have a "few" other similar cases, specifically with the OFF text in the D Lux 7 and this is "due to our manufacturer in China".

So this is a known defect. I have not seen any recalls by Leica. I pointed out that Apple have been making stuff in China for years with very few issues because they have rigorous quality control. Leica obviously don't. If they're rebadging and putting their name / reputation onto a product, they really should.

They have offered a pretty rubbish price for the 7 as a trade-in for a Q2. That's it. I told them to shove it.

The "Customer Care" team in Germany haven't bothered to respond. So much for Leica being a high-end brand.

Understand the comments about forgetting the print defect, just enjoy the camera..... but if the outside is manufactured so poorly, what's going on inside? 

Dave, Mark P..... print on the Miele lasted 8 years.... that's great! Our Miele coffee machine was on its third repair at 4 years old (and it was going to be so expensive we ditched it).

Anyway, although the pictures the camera produces continue to be good for now, I will be getting shot of the thing before the thing breaks down completely. 

I would have loved to upgrade to a Q2 but this has completely soured my opinion of Leica and I am loathe to give them any more money after this.

Thanks for reading, have a great day! 

• 1 year later...

Wow. I've been waffling back and forth between a FijiFilm x100 V and the Leica D-Lux 7. So this thread has been extremely helpful. I wanted a large sensor compact and was leaning to the Leica for the zoom lens vs. the FijiFilm prime lens. Now my mind is made up. I really like the Leica, but I am going to purchase the Lumix DC LX100 2 since it the same exact camera (except for a few cosmetic difference) and saving $350. Thanks everyone who is on this thread.  

On 9/5/2021 at 5:24 PM, roydonian said:

I had the same problem, and the repair took as long as yours did.

Edited by roydonian

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2021 at 10:51 AM, Geoff777 said:

Yes I do realise the camera is a Panasonic made in China. And I also realise that LEICA have decided to endorse the camera by putting their name and logo on it.

A consumer like me assumes, reasonably, that if LEICA endorse a product it meets their standards. This is reinforced by the fact that the DL7 has a 2 year warranty but the Panny has 1.

If LEICA are going to approve such sh***y workmanship, their reputation is going to go down the toilet pretty damn fast.

Can't print letters on metal that last more than a couple of thousand tactile wipes? What garbage.Even Panasonic are better than that.

I have taken it up with the German office and have yet to receive a reply. I will update when / if I get one. That's if I haven't been banned - I get the feeling this is a pretty insular forum. 🤣

I know this is old but, after reading this histrionic-filled rant from the OP, I just had to reach out to see if Geoff is okay.  At first, I thought it was a joke or that G was pulling our legs but, it appears that he (assuming from the name) actually felt that a recall for defective product would be in order for letters rubbing off his camera.  As Mute-On correctly stated,  "It’s a second hand item. You have no idea what the previous owner’s habits were with the camera. Perhaps they cleaned it with a corrosive substance after every use and the “off” started to lift. Perhaps, more likely, they habitually turned it off between shots, and after thousands of cycles, their thumb rubbing on the “off” caused it to lift.

The camera was purchased used with NO way to know what it came into contact with by the original owner.  Geoff, have you never used a camera enough to wear off the paint on the edges, bottom or even flat surfaces of a camera?  Have you never seen a 10-year old Leica M black-paint body?  I'm not sure I would notice if my on-off switch lost its lettering because....... well....... it's either on or off.  We don't have letters on my light switches in my home, or anywhere else, and we seem to operate them just fine - even in the dark.  Either way, Geoff, I hope you got your issue resolved before any long-lasting harm came to you.  Good luck with consumer products in the future, they're not getting better. 🫣