Value of Boxes/Packing Materials

BKimelb1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i decided to throw away my boxes as a commitment to my gear.  The only reason i need a box is for resale.  If i ever find myself desperate for money, then i am pretty sure the lack of box is not going to make a difference because I will be in a must sell situation (and will likely price to move the item).  The boxes take up so much space - i own noctilux lenses and for some reason there is all kinds of unnecessary presentation in the packaging.

I should also point out that any temptation to sell has disappeared since I tossed the boxes.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, LeicaS2 said:

I have kept the boxes just to keep bits and pieces organized. I done use lens shades with my M lenses so they stay in the box.

I keep the boxes for resale too. I have more than ten boxes so that’s $1,000?

But with M lenses I have learned the hard way, never to sell an M lens. So frankly, I should throw away the boxes?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Drmat said:

The boxes take up so much space - i own noctilux lenses and for some reason there is all kinds of unnecessary presentation in the packaging.

Hmmm…might get a whole extra closet if I chuck my M60 boxes 🤔….😀

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 6:10 AM, rsolomon said:

I think that the bottom line is that it’s important to some, so yes there is some value, pert the real question is how much value 

For reference, I sold a Summicron 50mm v5 box for $125 two years ago. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, plaidshirts said:

Do they maybe wanna buy a couple of very (very) large clamshell boxes with some hardback folios and white gloves....😉??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I always keep boxes, purchase and service receipts as it comes useful during a subsequent sale.

If you intend selling items as mint, or near mint, boxes would be useful.

On the other hand if you intend selling them as used, or well used, it would matter less as the lack of packaging would be factored into the transaction price.

Note also that most lens boxes can be flattened for easy storage. Not so, the styrofoam.

Edited by rramesh

On 3/16/2022 at 1:46 PM, Drmat said:

But with M lenses I have learned the hard way

Yes indeed a lesson I just learned. Never sell M lenses! I have currently one box, for the new 35mm. The 90mm I bought without box, at least it had the leather bag for it. I up to now have always kept the boxes for everything, except for the chargers.

On 3/16/2022 at 5:52 PM, plaidshirts said:

I’ve looked for boxes only, $125 seems high but I suppose if you really want it , it’s worth it. 

In the recent past I have sold number of Leica M, Zeiss ZM, Fujifilm and Voigtlander lenses as well as Leica camera bodies. Myself purchased all of those new. In my opinion it gives the buyer more confidence when they read that the item for sale is in excellent condition and included is original box with documentation and it does have a matching serial number. But, that is just I. 

I bought several very good lenses without box. I'm used to attach the lens to my M camera, not the box since it doesn't work. 
I'm very happy with the no-box lenses I bought, since they worked absolutely the same way as the same lenses out of their boxes.
Besides, I buy lenses to use them, not to keep them in a box so I do not really mind if they haven't one. They even are a little bit cheaper.

• Like 1