which will be the first Leica with flippy screen ? What do you think ? (and don't drink something when you read the post!)

Pelu2010

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey, 

do you think there will be a Leica (any) with flippy screen? 

And which will this be? 

Will it be the M11F (4flippy and community flipped out screen) 

Or the Q3 with everything (ibis,BSI, flippy screen) Calle Q3 IBF

Or the SL3 F 

I am curious if your sense of humor is strong enough to "hold that thought" 

Or maybe it will be some chinese frankenleica that will introduce a flippy screen and new 

processor for the Leica M9 F 

See you 

and kind regards .... 

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2021 at 1:33 PM, Pelu2010 said:

do you think there will be a Leica (any) with flippy screen? 

When it comes to Leica, there is the right way, the wrong way, and the LEICA way.

"The LEICA way" is usually to solve a problem more elegantly - in the engineering sense - than the mob. A moving or flippy screen with a hinge that can break is inelegant.

While also offering an opportunity for users to spend money. ;)

The Leica FOTOS app already allows remote live-viewing (in any direction one wants) via a smartphone. How well it works I leave to FOTOS users to comment on.

When the M-10 was introduced, I suggested Leica make a top-mounted accessory viewing screen that slides into the accessory shoe and uses the EVF contacts to display a "waist-level" live-view. Off-set to the left so it doesn't cover the shutter dial.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(I know, I know. The EVF Visos already flip up for close eyepiece viewing - but I want to see the framing from 1m or more away.)

It is the one thing I miss from the large, heavy Pro film SLRs of the 60s-90s - the ability to pop off the prism for low- or high-angle shots. Even the best SLRs don't offer that anymore (except via fragile flippy-screens).

I'd pay Leica the price of a Viso 020, for one of those instead. Solid, removable, larger than the SLR screens of yore (and right-way around) while being Leica-light. = elegant.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As someone who needs reading glasses TBH  flippy screens etc have no appeal as I can never see the screen properly while shooting anyway (Hence the Edition 60s)

I can use an M with the OVF (or hateful EVF if necessary via its diopter correction) or actually a TL2 since the icons on the rear display are large enough to see and select without glasses  (a feature along with the tilting of the Visoflex 020 that means for me it’s easier that the CL).

I never use LV via the rear screen though as I would have to put my glasses on to see it and then take them off to see “real life”. I’m sure there’s lots of glasses options to allow both but I wear contacts all day so for me screens don’t work very well as it’s reading gasses on / off / on / off / on  etc.
If it’s all about shooting at odd angles then maybe - but with digital I’m sure the “Leicaman” could just shoot blind till he/she got the shot.

I have owned cameras with articulating screens - some Canons etc  (I generally used that to turn that screen back into the camera 🙄) but I was always worried they were mechanically vulnerable and at some point would “snap”

YMMV

13 hours ago, NigelG said:

As someone who needs reading glasses TBH  flippy screens etc have no appeal as I can never see the screen properly while shooting anyway (Hence the Edition 60s)

I can use an M with the OVF (or hateful EVF if necessary via its diopter correction) or actually a TL2 since the icons on the rear display are large enough to see and select without glasses  (a feature along with the tilting of the Visoflex 020 that means for me it’s easier that the CL).

I never use LV via the rear screen though as I would have to put my glasses on to see it and then take them off to see “real life”. I’m sure there’s lots of glasses options to allow both but I wear contacts all day so for me screens don’t work very well as it’s reading gasses on / off / on / off / on  etc.
If it’s all about shooting at odd angles then maybe - but with digital I’m sure the “Leicaman” could just shoot blind till he/she got the shot.

I have owned cameras with articulating screens - some Canons etc  (I generally used that to turn that screen back into the camera 🙄) but I was always worried they were mechanically vulnerable and at some point would “snap”

YMMV

The sharpness of the picture is not the problem. I can control that. 
with the flip screen I can compose better. I get around with the camera. I get my low and high shots. But it’s not controlled. 
so i have the best lenses with a very good camera. And if I want to shoot low or high, I have to rely on guessing. 
And people get old. And old people like photography. But the knees hurt. So I am just guessing that there will be a market in future. 

But let’s play a bit: 

who wants or need a faster connectivity to the Leica Fotos App? 
would you pay for a faster connection and how much? 

with the evf you can go low but not high. 

….. 

1 hour ago, Pelu2010 said:

so i have the best lenses with a very good camera. And if I want to shoot low or high, I have to rely on guessing. 
And people get old. And old people like photography. But the knees hurt. So I am just guessing that there will be a market in future.

There is indeed a market for that. Some people are more interested in efficiency than elegance. Although i believe the flip screen of my Epson R-D1 was miles ahead from this view point. Pity it could not do live view then but it was 17 years ago. Now in spite of my squeaky knees i need to shoot overhead from time to time. To take this pic for instance. Sony A7s mod + Summilux 35/1.4 v2. Impossible to do that with my Leica cameras.

Edited by lct

On 9/3/2021 at 4:56 PM, stuny said:

All generations of V-Lux had them.

They were around long before the V-Lux, Stuart.

The Ur-Leica had a sort of flippy screen and some variants of the 0 Series had one. Some of the ALBADA type viewfinders from the 1930s had a flippy element as well. So there is nothing new for Leica here.

William 

• 4 months later...
On 9/2/2021 at 5:30 PM, lct said:

Doubtful on a rangefinder but an EVF-M would be a good candidate. EVF, IBIS, silent shutter and flippy screen, a modern digital camera dedicated to M lenses at last...

Scratch the word dedicated and my XT4/VMX fits the bill admirably.

No idea on which and when it will finally ring the bell in LCAG heads.

After getting my first camera with articulated screen, I did what I always wanted to do. It turned this thing away from me.

If it is well developed mirrorless camera here is nothing, I repeat, nothing you can not do with EVF what screen could do.

So, instead of hipsta statement on digital M, LCAG could easily do CL-D and Q-D special editions.  And it is going to be 100 % same functionality as CL and Q with flippy or not screens.