Sigma 150-600 dg dn f5-6.3 [merged]

Virob

Caught this one that picked up a spider for breakfast ! The 600mm reach is so convenient. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

On 9/21/2021 at 9:26 PM, lawman said:

Mike - this came out really well.  I tried the same shot with identical camera/lens/TC but I couldn't duplicate your sharpness. I used a tripod and switched off the OS; I tried auto and manual focus. Would you please detail how you set the focus, OS, exposure and post. Thanks a lot, Larry

Thanks Larry.

Did you use the Electronic Shutter?  

My settings are as follows:  hand held, ISO400 f9 1/640s Electronic Shutter, OS setting #1. Focus is set to Spot, AFS & Exp Compensation -3.

Post processing & crop to taste & then run through Topaz AI Denoise Noise reduction= 5 & Sharpness= 20.  As Jaap says atmospheric conditions also play a role.

I took this shot last night hand held w/the SL2-S & Sigma 150-600mm & 1.4x TC. Settings: ISO400  f9 1/160s Electronic Shutter, Exp Compensation -3.

Post processed as above. (please click for better res.)

Edited by michali
  • Like 6

On 9/25/2021 at 7:22 AM, michali said:

Thanks Larry.

Did you use the Electronic Shutter?  

My settings are as follows:  hand held, ISO400 f9 1/640s Electronic Shutter, OS setting #1. Focus is set to Spot, AFS & Exp Compensation -3.

Post processing & crop to taste & then run through Topaz AI Denoise Noise reduction= 5 & Sharpness= 20.  As Jaap says atmospheric conditions also play a role.

I took this shot last night hand held w/the SL2-S & Sigma 150-600mm & 1.4x TC. Settings: ISO400  f9 1/160s Electronic Shutter, Exp Compensation -3.

Post processed as above. (please click for better res.)

Mike - that’s a great result - I love the upper right craters! I got a relatively nice shot of the Harvest Moon but not the details- which I’m putting down to atmospherics 😳 thanks for sharing- Larry 

• Like 1

This is a photo of a very rare white female roe deer (albino). Taken today in Tyrol / Austria with SL2-S, 600mm, f6.3, 1/200 sec, ISO 800, edited with LR and cropped (Click on image for better result).

I have a question about your experience with the OIS on the Sigma 150-600. With my lens, the autofocus point always moves back and forth a little with the OIS switched on and the image in the EVF trembles with my arms. With my other lenses, on the other hand, the viewfinder image is relatively calm when the OIS is switched on. I have a feeling that some images are getting blurry due to the OIS. From the tripod with the OIS switched off, I get very sharp images. Do you have a similar experience?

Which shutter speed is the longest that you have used to get sharp images handheld? My experience is that you should not use any shutter speed longer than 1/125 or maybe 1/60 of a second.

Thanks, Marco

Edited by mschuette
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, mschuette said:

This is a photo of a very rare white female roe deer (albino). Taken today in Tyrol / Austria with SL2-S, 600mm, f6.3, 1/200 sec, ISO 800, edited with LR and cropped (Click on image for better result).

I have a question about your experience with the OIS on the Sigma 150-600. With my lens, the autofocus point always moves back and forth a little with the OIS switched on and the image in the EVF trembles with my arms. With my other lenses, on the other hand, the viewfinder image is relatively calm when the OIS is switched on. I have a feeling that some images are getting blurry due to the OIS. From the tripod with the OIS switched off, I get very sharp images. Do you have a similar experience?

Which shutter speed is the longest that you have used to get sharp images handheld? My experience is that you should not use any shutter speed longer than 1/125 or maybe 1/60 of a second.

Thanks, Marco

Can't help since I haven't the lens, but looking forward to responses/experiences. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rush warbler, Brittany, France.

Edited by Capnord
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, mschuette said:

Thanks, Marco

Never seen one of these, nice capture.

I'm wondering if you are just seeing the effect of the contrast detect autofocus, I can't say I have noticed much difference between my lenses and my experience of the OIS on the Sigma 150-600 is good.  This couple of shots were taken on the CL indoors low light, and shutter speed handheld was 1/30 for both, at 600mm or given crop factor 900mm.  I was pushing to see what I could manage, I wouldn't rely on always being able to achieve that. 

I tend to increase shutter speed for longer subject distance and anything that breathes😉.   Of course on the SL2/s you should have dual image stabilisation.

• Like 1

Lens arrived today and am just getting used to it.  These three were taken with the TC 1.4 attached. 

The Willet with crab in mouth was 1/1600 f/10/ ISO 1000 840mm.  The egret ditto except ISO 320.  The Norwich was 1/400, f/7.1, ISO 2500 212mm.  The last two are full frame, the first just very slightly cropped.  Electronic shutter.  Am interested in hearing how others are setting this lens as it's the longest I've used.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, mschuette said:

Thanks, Marco

For the first time yesterday I also noticed a slight horizontal movement in the focus point. I wonder why that is?

I haven't been out in the field with the lens yet. I have a week's trip coming up to Benguerra Islands in Mozambique next week & looking forward to finally trying the lens in the field. However the little bit of shooting I've done in my garden has been hand held & I find the images extremely sharp.

Are you using the Electronic Shutter? I previously had sharpness issues with all of my long lenses & initially though it was the camera IBIS. It turned out that the image sharpness has more to do with the shutter. It's a known issue that these cameras have an element of shutter shock/slap which is amplified when you use doing lenses with the Mechanical Shutter. I always use the Electronic Shutter & have no sharpness issues since.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michali said:

For the first time yesterday I also noticed a slight horizontal movement in the focus point. I wonder why that is?

Can you remember what mode you had your lens stabilisation set to Michali.   I just had a play around with the lens again this morning, looking for that movement but only really see it when I have the stabilisation set to 2 (panning mode).  For sure I see movement when my arms tire, plenty of it🙂.  Hope you have a great trip.. looking forward to seeing your images.

• Thanks 1

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Boojay:

Never seen one of these, nice capture.

I'm wondering if you are just seeing the effect of the contrast detect autofocus, I can't say I have noticed much difference between my lenses and my experience of the OIS on the Sigma 150-600 is good.  This couple of shots were taken on the CL indoors low light, and shutter speed handheld was 1/30 for both, at 600mm or given crop factor 900mm.  I was pushing to see what I could manage, I wouldn't rely on always being able to achieve that. 

I tend to increase shutter speed for longer subject distance and anything that breathes😉.   Of course on the SL2/s you should have dual image stabilisation.

I haven't seen any white roe deer in 40 years either 😉

I'm not able to take such sharp images with my SL2-S and the Sigma lens with OIS turned on. It's no problem with all my other lenses. And it's no problem when I'm using a tripod (without OIS). I always use the electronic shutter. The lens itself produces really sharp images but only when OIS is turned off. I think I will contact Sigma to check the OIS of my lens. 

@michali: I have horizontal movement when I set OIS into mode 2. I have vertical movement in mode 1. I realize no differences using C1, C2, or C OFF. If I switch to continuous shooting  with electronic shutter, the focus point stops moving after a couple of pictures. It stays steady for a short time (even with single shots) before it starts moving again...

Enjoy your trip to Benguerra Island. I went there for honeymoon ten years ago. For sure it's one of the nicest spots on earth!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crows @ 600mm.  Somewhat noisy due to pushing the silhouetted figures.

• Like 5

I gave my SL2 + latest version  of the Sigma 150-600 for L mount.  Most of the shots were of static birds and ships in a range of lighting situations around Galveston Bay.    Pixel peeping of birds at about 20 meters at wide open (f6.7) yields a high fraction of sharp images, not 100% by a high fraction.    Infinity shots of ships hundreds of meters away were all pixel peeping sharp.     

Edited by Manicouagan1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

SL2 Sigma 150-600

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

S5.

• Like 6

On 9/17/2021 at 1:41 PM, Boojay said:

I'm quite sure this lens will not compete with the Canon 600 f/4, however, it is significantly better than the DSLR version and is a definite bonus for L mount.  Few on the SL2.

All the photos are good, but the crop of the mallard hens is STUNNING.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

This was at 550mm, but that was with the 1.4 TC on.  Golden hour sunset with unusually dark sky

• Like 5

Next morning, 166mm without 1.4 TC

• Like 9