Sigma 150-600 dg dn f5-6.3 [merged]

Virob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Boojay said:

Two little uk garden birds.. both at 600mm on the CL

The yellow feathers on the (wet) Blue Tit in the lower image is impressive; highly resolved without aliasing. Good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couple more, light was poor so ISO 6400, SL2 and was testing the 150-600 + 1.4TC

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Boojay said:

Couple more, light was poor so ISO 6400, SL2 and was testing the 150-600 + 1.4TC

Excellent detail Jayne, despite the light. Thanks for sharing these images.

I haven't had a chance to take the lens out into the field yet, what are your impressions so far?

Best,

Mike

Edited by michali
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, michali said:

Excellent detail Jayne, despite the light. Thanks for sharing these images.

I haven't had a chance to take the lens out into the field yet, what are your impressions so far?

Best,

Mike

Mike I have only used the lens at home so far, I've been dog and cat sitting for family ever since the lens arrived, so 4 dogs at home including one puppy, and a twice a day trip to medicate a cat, it's been fun!   I delivered dogs home last night so I'm hoping to get out and about and do a bit more with it in the next few days, but first impressions for me are good.  Happily surprised at how it handles given the size, stabilisation seems to work well within the specs, and AF speed is as good as it gets on the SL2/CL.  I sold my Sig 100-400 a while ago, and have been using an adapted Canon 100-400 plus 1.4 TC for occasional tele work on the SL2 but I'm hoping to see some advantage having AFC.  Tried AFC and tracking yesterday on the dogs running round the field, lens + TC and it did as well as any lens I've tried on the SL2, mind you, our daughter's whippets take some tracking😁.  

I think I can be guilty of getting over excited when a new lens arrives but ignoring that you can't fail but be impressed at what Sigma have put together here, I remember trying briefly the SLR version of the lens which was mammoth and a definite no from me.  I have found myself using this lens indoors for portraits, and at 150mm the minimum focus distance is wonderful for garden images.  

I am hoping to hear from @jaapv if he has felt the need to use the dock for any changes, I'd like to know if there is a benefit to having it.  

Anyone that wants to build a complete system in L mount must be very thankful for Sigma, it's filling in the gaps and at a price point that's more digestible.  I think I'm still happy that I bought the Panasonic 70-300 but this lens confirms that it's well overpriced!

Really looking forward to what you can show us from the lens in your part of the world Mike.

• Like 1

Macro at 150mm is pretty nice ! So far I really this lens

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

I might have shocked this little fella with this bazooka lens, I've over exposed on this shot but I really love her expression

Edited by Ktsa5239

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is another shot

Edited by Ktsa5239
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Boojay said:

Mike I have only used the lens at home so far, I've been dog and cat sitting for family ever since the lens arrived, so 4 dogs at home including one puppy, and a twice a day trip to medicate a cat, it's been fun!   I delivered dogs home last night so I'm hoping to get out and about and do a bit more with it in the next few days, but first impressions for me are good.  Happily surprised at how it handles given the size, stabilisation seems to work well within the specs, and AF speed is as good as it gets on the SL2/CL.  I sold my Sig 100-400 a while ago, and have been using an adapted Canon 100-400 plus 1.4 TC for occasional tele work on the SL2 but I'm hoping to see some advantage having AFC.  Tried AFC and tracking yesterday on the dogs running round the field, lens + TC and it did as well as any lens I've tried on the SL2, mind you, our daughter's whippets take some tracking😁.  

I think I can be guilty of getting over excited when a new lens arrives but ignoring that you can't fail but be impressed at what Sigma have put together here, I remember trying briefly the SLR version of the lens which was mammoth and a definite no from me.  I have found myself using this lens indoors for portraits, and at 150mm the minimum focus distance is wonderful for garden images.  

I am hoping to hear from @jaapv if he has felt the need to use the dock for any changes, I'd like to know if there is a benefit to having it.  

Anyone that wants to build a complete system in L mount must be very thankful for Sigma, it's filling in the gaps and at a price point that's more digestible.  I think I'm still happy that I bought the Panasonic 70-300 but this lens confirms that it's well overpriced!

Really looking forward to what you can show us from the lens in your part of the world Mike.

Thank you Jayne. Sounds like you've got your hands full! Good to read your feedback, by many accounts it appears that we've got a winner here with Sigma. I've become a big fan of Sigma lenses and have amassed a small arsenal of their L mount lenses, so far not one has disappointed. I traded my 100-400mm L when I picked up this lens, there's no point in overlapping focal lengths.

I've not yet had the opportunity to get out with this lens, am planning to sneak off to the bush next week for a few days and really itching to try it out properly. 

Best,

Mike

• Like 2

My brief and overall impression on the Sig 150-600mm has been nothing but positive on IQ and it's AF speed and accuracy like most other users have reported.

Through testing the Sig 150-600mm on a daily basis specifically on capturing fast moving subjects since I've gotten the lens a week ago, I do notice consistently on the successfully sharp focused images from AFC tracking continuous frames to be much lower than my SL90-280mm. I concluded this observation from frequent use of both lenses mentioned shooting at fully open. Further breakdown on AFC success rate of Sig 150-600mm, I found the AFC focus (tracking) locking success rate is lower ie focus tracking box does not turn 'green' when the shutter release button is triggered and analysising those pics in LR that were successfully focus locked also show a much lower success rate for sharp focus. ie soft focus were on most successfully focus locked frames.

So I can safely say that the true AFC success rate from the SL2 (or any Mirrorless or/and DSLR) is indeed dependent on which AF compatible lens is mounted.

I do look forward to the next SL2 firmware update and custom firmware adjustments on the Sig 150-600mm in coming months. But then again there are limitations on how much improvements and fine tuning can do and the rest of the imperfections may have to be lived with. The limitations might not be due to the design and performance of Sigma but perhaps more on such a long focus range telephoto zoom lens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, sillbeers15 said:

My brief and overall impression on the Sig 150-600mm has been nothing but positive on IQ and it's AF speed and accuracy like most other users have reported.

Through testing the Sig 150-600mm on a daily basis specifically on capturing fast moving subjects since I've gotten the lens a week ago, I do notice consistently on the successfully sharp focused images from AFC tracking continuous frames to be much lower than my SL90-280mm. I concluded this observation from frequent use of both lenses mentioned shooting at fully open. Further breakdown on AFC success rate of Sig 150-600mm, I found the AFC focus (tracking) locking success rate is lower ie focus tracking box does not turn 'green' when the shutter release button is triggered and analysising those pics in LR that were successfully focus locked also show a much lower success rate for sharp focus. ie soft focus were on most successfully focus locked frames.

So I can safely say that the true AFC success rate from the SL2 (or any Mirrorless or/and DSLR) is indeed dependent on which AF compatible lens is mounted.

I do look forward to the next SL2 firmware update and custom firmware adjustments on the Sig 150-600mm in coming months. But then again there are limitations on how much improvements and fine tuning can do and the rest of the imperfections may have to be lived with. The limitations might not be due to the design and performance of Sigma but perhaps more on such a long focus range telephoto zoom lens.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

On a trip I did last week I used the SL2 & SL2-S side by side with the VE 90-280mm L mounted on both cameras at different times. There was a discernible difference in focus accuracy and speed between the 2 cameras, with the SL2-S being superior. Let's hope that Leica is eventually able to provide the same FW update for the SL2.