Sigma 150-600 dg dn f5-6.3 [merged]

Virob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One more image with the SL2 & 150-600mm @ 600mm & Sigma 1.4x TC = 840mm.

Romeo was in better light & closer than the Ibis above, no loss of IQ. . FWIW I've read that the 1.4x TC is only available for the L mount & not on the Sony mount lenses. (please click for better res.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, michali said:

I also tried the Sigma 1.4x TC on the lens. This Ibis was on the roof of my house in the shade, there's a certain amount of IQ loss, nothing that can't be tweaked in post. 

SL2 & 150-600mm @ 600mm & 1.4x TC = 840mm (please click for better res.)

Thanks for these images, Mike! Great rendering at short distances (your can and ibis). Two questions regarding the ibis image: Have you excluded the possibility that the (small) unsharpness is caused by the extender, not camera shake/movement? And does the SL2 correctly use 840mm for the image stabilisation when the extender is used? (posted before your latest cat image; the extender seems to work very well!).

Edited by helged

10 hours ago, helged said:

Thanks for these images, Mike! Great rendering at short distances (your can and ibis). Two questions regarding the ibis image: Have you excluded the possibility that the (small) unsharpness is caused by the extender, not camera shake/movement? And does the SL2 correctly use 840mm for the image stabilisation when the extender is used? (posted before your latest cat image; the extender seems to work very well!).

Hi Helge - Thanks for your feedback. The Lens Profile on the camera correctly identifies the lens as well as the 1.4x TC  when attached. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, michali said:

Hi Helge - Thanks for your feedback. The Lens Profile on the camera correctly identifies the lens as well as the 1.4x TC  when attached. 

Goodie - and very convenient (setting correct focal length for a prime is doable, but way to forget; doing the same with a zoom is impractical).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

Does your cat have African Wild Cat ancestors? 

Hi Jaap, two of my cats came from the game reserve & I'm sure are a hybrid between a domestic & Wild Cat. This was accidental, not intentional. Interestingly both are naturally sterile, I believe it's called "Hybrid Sterility".

Edited by michali
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, michali said:

One more image with the SL2 & 150-600mm @ 600mm & Sigma 1.4x TC = 840mm.

Romeo was in better light & closer than the Ibis above, no loss of IQ. . FWIW I've read that the 1.4x TC is only available for the L mount & not on the Sony mount lenses. (please click for better res.)

Nice and plenty sharp. Are you using mechanical or electronic shutter?

I'm absolutely astonished at the performance of this lens! The AF is quick and accurate, the sharpness is nothing like the 100-400mm. I think if I bought this lens first, I would not have bought the 90-280mm. The only thing is that when zooming in and out there is alittle squeak, maybe its still new. 

• Like 6

The bokeh is pretty nice too! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ktsa5239 said:

The bokeh is pretty nice too! 

I beg to differ on the bokeh. The fringing in the OOF areas is quite distracting although not all shots exhibit the phenomenon. It's more noticeable in your previously posted photo. It's especially noticeable in the photo posted by @jaapv where you can see double or triple repeats of the OOF gulls in the background. The foreground OOF areas seem to be much better controlled than the background.

Edited by Reggie

On 9/4/2021 at 9:47 PM, michali said:

Some shots of my cats after I received the lens this AM-  SL2-S Sigma 150-600mm L @ 600mm  (please click on image for better res.) 

Was this close focus ? Looks excellent. Could you try to show something even smaller (like beetle or butterfly ?) ?

The lens makes a good impression, almost too good 😉. It seems that 600 is better than 400 in the 100-400. Correct ?

On 9/4/2021 at 9:06 AM, Phil A said:

As a 90-280 owner, for me it's about the extra 320mm, not having to crop to fill the frame and still having 47mp. The trade-off is the slower speed.

I think we are seeing a serious competitor for the 90-280 here. Maybe Leica will get their finger out and finally offer an extender.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, caissa said:

Was this close focus ? Looks excellent. Could you try to show something even smaller (like beetle or butterfly ?) ?

The lens makes a good impression, almost too good 😉. It seems that 600 is better than 400 in the 100-400. Correct ?

Correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caissa said:

Subject distance was about 8m. No question that this is a superior lens to the 100-400mm and yes, so far based on what I'm seeing, it is better at 600mm. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ktsa5239 said:

I'm absolutely astonished at the performance of this lens! The AF is quick and accurate, the sharpness is nothing like the 100-400mm. I think if I bought this lens first, I would not have bought the 90-280mm. The only thing is that when zooming in and out there is a little squeak, maybe its still new. 

Nice shots. I've also picked up the little squeak. It's only there when you rotate the zoom ring very quickly, it's not present when you rotate at normal speed or pull to zoom. 

I feel like there’s no need for extender for me. I’m used to using the 90-280 so 600 feels too close sometimes.

in terms of the busy background I think my other shot actually has a busy background so it’s more my poor composition then the lens :p

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Two little uk garden birds.. both at 600mm on the CL

• Like 13