Jump to content

Sigma 150-600 dg dn f5-6.3 [merged]


Virob
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

Dim, overcast skies kept the temperature reasonable and brought out several of my little friends this afternoon . . . 

(As always, please click each image once for best viewing)

My Red-Whiskered Bulbul pal put in another appearance today . . . 

 

A few Pied Imperial Pigeons (mostly frugivores, NOT a part of the "flying rat" pack) enjoyed some shade, one mugging for the camera . . . 

 

A White-Throated Kingfisher went about his business in a very focused way . . . 

 

 . . . while his Stork-Billed cousin borrowed the same branch later, and appear to grow impatient while waiting for his afternoon tea . . . 

SL2-S/Sigma 150-600mm . . . 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

A few more with the SL2-S and Sigma . . . 

(click for best view)

Olive-Winged Bulbul . . . 

 

Yellow Bittern on the hunt . . . 

 

Pink-Necked Green Pigeon being lazy, as usual . . . 

 

 . . . and a Yellow-Vented Bulbul taking it all in . . . 

 

 

Edited by tritentrue
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/9/2022 at 12:51 PM, tritentrue said:

 . . . while his Stork-Billed cousin borrowed the same branch later, and appear to grow impatient while waiting for his afternoon tea . . . 

 

All excellent Rob, my favourite is the Stork-Billed Kingfisher. Gorgeous!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SL2-S & Sigma 150-600mm L   Zuka Game reserve S. Africa

(please click on image for better res.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hummingbird silhouette against morning light reflecting off the ocean.

Do you like the out of focus areas or not? I'm still very new to this lens and this is the first time I've gotten such an exaggerated effect. I think it works because the composition is simple and near monochromatic and accentuates how small these birds are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Virob said:

Hummingbird silhouette against morning light reflecting off the ocean.

Do you like the out of focus areas or not? I'm still very new to this lens and this is the first time I've gotten such an exaggerated effect. I think it works because the composition is simple and near monochromatic and accentuates how small these birds are. 

Nice shot, I like the silhouette of the Hummingbird. The OOF areas can be a bit harsh & busy at times, it's all light & background dependent of course.

If I may make a suggestion, try taking the highlights down in post processing, reduce the exposure slightly & add a little more contrast. It should reduce the harshness.

 

Edited by michali
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/3/2022 at 11:30 PM, michali said:

Nice shot, I like the silhouette of the Hummingbird. The OOF areas can be a bit harsh & busy at times, it's all light & background dependent of course.

If I may make a suggestion, try taking the highlights down in post processing, reduce the exposure slightly & add a little more contrast. It should reduce the harshness.

 

I

Thanks for the comment. I get what you are saying, and yes I think you are right, I tried softening the background and it does look better. This shot was taken  shortly afterwards, slightly different position and focal length which results in a much softer background that also works better with the bird in a more dynamic position. I also warmed up the background. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2022 at 3:45 AM, michali said:

 

Woodland Kingfisher (Halcyon senegalensis) @ Zuka Game Reserve S. Africa

SL-2S & Sigma 150-600mm L @ 512mm 

(please click on image for better res.)

 

 

 

This is very sharp. What focus method are you using? Spot?

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jim B said:

This is very sharp. What focus method are you using? Spot?

Thanks. Yes always Spot & I aim for the eyes. I get about a 99% success rate. I find the other focusing methods too hit & miss with birds & wildlife.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sigma @ 600 and 575mm on Leica SL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...