C-Lux v's Iphone 12 Pro?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Im a newbie to any kind of photography, i work in media and attend food and drink tastings a lot where i sometimes need to take quick shots to be uploaded to social media and very occasionally our print mag as small food news kind of snippets. I was eyeing up the C-Lux as wanted something thats easy to carry in a small bag but wondered if i would get much more from the camera than what i would taking snaps on my iphone 12 which i have been doing upto now. Comments and reviews from those who are using both the C-Lux and iphone are welcome. Many thanks

To meet your stated requirement, your smartphone should meet that need.

Incidentally, welcome to the forum.

Should your ambitions grow, to include travel photography for example, then that would be the time to consider a C-Lux camera which would be more versatile and cover other situations. The two instruments could work well together. Do tell us what you decide to do.

One of the key differences compared with cell phones is that traditional cameras have larger sensors. They will therefore perform better in low light. Also, the C-Lux has a useful zoom.

I am getting an iPhone 12 for work soon, and I am sure it will be great, but cameras are still useful.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 9:39 AM, AndresonJemmie said:

Im a newbie to any kind of photography, i work in media and attend food and drink tastings a lot where i sometimes need to take quick shots to be uploaded to social media and very occasionally our print mag as small food news kind of snippets. I was eyeing up the C-Lux as wanted something thats easy to carry in a small bag but wondered if i would get much more from the camera than what i would taking snaps on my iphone 12 which i have been doing upto now. Comments and reviews from those who are using both the C-Lux and iphone are welcome. Many thanks

xender

thank you my issue has been solved

On 8/31/2021 at 2:54 AM, NZDavid said:

One of the key differences compared with cell phones is that traditional cameras have larger sensors. They will therefore perform better in low light. Also, the C-Lux has a useful zoom.

I am getting an iPhone 12 for work soon, and I am sure it will be great, but cameras are still useful.

You'll find that for social media use, but also for the occasional (modest) print, the results are amazingly good. In fact, sometimes better than a regular camera in low light.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, jaapv said:

You'll find that for social media use, but also for the occasional (modest) print, the results are amazingly good. In fact, sometimes better than a regular camera in low light.

Sometimes but not always. I have some examples -- one from an architectural designer who did an ultra wide-angle shot of a house at dusk -- nice composition but blotchy details, especially for magazine reproduction but still noticeable at lower resolution. (It was used small.) Other pictures submitted for online publication showing award presentations are of varying quality. 

Another point to consider is the lack of DOF with distracting background details annoyingly sharp. True, software can help here to some extent and small sensor cameras produce limited background separation in any case.