M10-R Baseplate

scroy

4 minutes ago, Jeffry Abt said:

You might want to try the base plate from Really Right Stuff. Works perfectly! (I don’t use the “L” component )

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/m10-plates?quantity=1&custcol36=1
“The BM10 base replaces the Leica base.”  

It is not the same. It is thicker and heavier. I have it as well, but use it only with tripod. 
It cannot be used with a leather case.

But why not order a new one with the Leica dealer?

11 minutes ago, Gobert said:

It is not the same. It is thicker and heavier. I have it as well, but use it only with tripod. 

I will as soon as the Boston Leica  store is open :), but I noticed on the Miami Leica store that it was a back ordered part so I thought I would ask.

3 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

You can still use the camera if you put a small magnet where the baseplate magnet met the body.

Such a terrible design.  The camera should have a setting in the menu that allows it to work even if the baseplate is missing.  I've never heard of it actually happening, but imagine losing the baseplate on an important shoot and not being able to use the camera at all.  Seems like a really easy thing to remedy with a menu setting.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, John Ricard said:

Such a terrible design.  The camera should have a setting in the menu that allows it to work even if the baseplate is missing.  I've never heard of it actually happening, but imagine losing the baseplate on an important shoot and not being able to use the camera at all.  Seems like a really easy thing to remedy with a menu setting.

Yes, indeed. That is why most digital M shooters that are aware of this issue carry spare magnets that can be obtained a "dime-a-dozen". Search the forum for the size.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John Ricard said:

An interesting comment but what would you do if the baseplate went missing on a film Leica M?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I've lost lens caps, filters, even an 020. I came close to losing my 'lux BC when I left it on a tree stump while changing lenses. Not trying to be an ass, but I'm genuinely curious, if it's not too embarrassing or painful, to learn how one manages to lose a base plate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Ricard said:

You should be more respectful to traditional design. I love the baseplate. Enough reason not to subscribe for the waiting list of an M11, where the baseplate is probably gone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, John Ricard said:

I wouldn't care because I haven't shot a roll of film in about 20 years ;)

Probably just as well if you think that a removable baseplate is a terrible design. Perhaps you think it would be a good idea if there was a setting on the menu that tells you that you have left your lens in the car. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Ricard said:

Such a terrible design.

I agree !

I have had four cameras (M1, M6, M10, and Nikon F) with the same terrible design.

Thank goodness I have never lost my base-plate or been tempted to eat my young. However, I prefer using cameras that do not require me to remove my camera from a tripod just to change film, access a battery, or change memory cards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tailwagger said:

I've lost lens caps, filters, even an 020. I came close to losing my 'lux BC when I left it on a tree stump while changing lenses. Not trying to be an ass, but I'm genuinely curious, if it's not too embarrassing or painful, to learn how one manages to lose a base plate.

Well, basically the excuse he gave me was he popped out the SD card to review the images while out in CT (Fife and drum event), and then couldn't find the plate after. He didn't realize it was a big deal until he couldn't take anymore pictures. I'm hopeful that one of the other folks on the trip found it, but no luck so far.  

Lesson learned for him => review in the field using the Fotos App vs a computer, and whenever you take off a baseplate put it back on immediately so you don't carelessly lose it. Lesson for me perhaps loan him the CL instead.

It looks like the Boston Leica Store has one, so I'm going to grab it later today.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, scroy said:

Well, basically the excuse he gave me was he popped out the SD card to review the images while out in CT (Fife and drum event), and then couldn't find the plate after. He didn't realize it was a big deal until he couldn't take anymore pictures. I'm hopeful that one of the other folks on the trip found it, but no luck so far.  

Lesson learned for him => review in the field using the Fotos App vs a computer, and whenever you take off a baseplate put it back on immediately so you don't carelessly lose it. Lesson for me perhaps loan him the CL instead.

It looks like the Boston Leica Store has one, so I'm going to grab it later today.

Sigh... poop happens, I suppose.  Hopefully less expensive than the 020 I managed to lose. 

18 minutes ago, scroy said:

https://www.luigicases.com/a000-M-Mates-Battery-SD-change.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gobert said:

This is all true. But I see this as beneficial, making the  M a bit more robust and durable.It does not look bad at all.  As to a leather case it only matters if you use a case

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matlock said:

...Perhaps you think it would be a good idea if there was a setting on the menu that tells you that you have left your lens in the car. 😄

Word on the street is that the M11 will have that feature.

The M11 will also have a warning pop up on the rear screen to warn you when your wife is outraged after she finds out how much the M11 costs.  It will also have a GPS function that displays a map showing the location of the nearest Holiday Inn with vacancies.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Word on the street is that the M11 will have that feature.

The M11 will also have a warning pop up on the rear screen to warn you when your wife is outraged after she finds out how much the M11 costs.  It will also have a GPS function that displays a map showing the location of the nearest Holiday Inn with vacancies.

All depends on who wears the pants. 🤑

• Thanks 1