SL2s lens mounting/removing issue?

V23

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just purchased brand new SL2s after using SL for number of years. Love the camera, but there is one issue that I would like to ask fellow SL2s users. Mounting and removing SL lenses (all Leica brand) is very tight, noticeably tighter than what I remember the SL use to be, this is especially noticeable with Leica M to L adapter. Have you noticed anything similar with your camera/lens combo?

V23,  I have the SL2-S,  SL lenses and M to L adapter.  Both SL lenses and adapter are tight but not overly tight when mounting to the SL2 or SL2-S.  I am not sure if the L portion of the adapter makes it more water resistant but as you know the M lenses are not water resistant.  Just a tight seal for the adapter to the SL body.  I consider it normal.  I owned the S system for a decade and found the S bodies and S lenses were tight like the SL system.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark 

I can confirm that my original M to L Adapter (18771) was very tight when first used. I even thought that it was impossible to get off the camera at the first use. After using it regularly it has settled and is now tight but at the same time smooth.

Edited by ing_rippi

Remember that the SL series are all weatherproof to a standard that the M-mount is not. The SL has a seal that, when new, is probably a bit constricting. There have been whole threads here on light leaks through the M-mount during long exposures - such conclusions as there were suggested that's what you should expect from a design spec that is 70 years old! So while you shouldn't get fore-and-aft play in a M-mount, you might not have the perfect contact across the full surface that would make for a tight fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I too have discovered that mounting anything onto my SL-2 feels overly tight. I am getting used to it, but it takes noticeable effort
and it doesn't seem to be "breaking-in" or getting easier over time. I have had mine for 3 or 4 months now. In fact, mine starts
to turn to install and then hits a "tighter" spot which i can overcome, but not without effort.

My SL-2 is FAR tighter than any M or other Leica i have owned including my L mount TL camera. I don't know if there is any adjustment
possible or it's just built this way, but i don't feel it's worth sending it in for service for just this.

Yes the mount feels very tight. My first time mounting the 24-90 on the SL2 was a bit nerve wrecking because the amount of force required did not feel natural. Interestingly, mounting the 90-280 feels quite a bit better -- perhaps due to the weight of the lens, the twisting force is subjectively not as prominent.

on the other hand, the sense that the mount has zero play is a good one.