Thoughts on the C-Lux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We're considering a C-Lux as a replacement for our D-Lux 5, which is 11 years old and hasn't missed a beat. Only a snuff of dust in the lens which worked its way out again. This would be mainly for my wife whose camera brief is simple: It must be easy to use, compact, and produce first-class results in all situations. That includes gardens and flowers, people, scenery, and buildings. Not too hard then! She really doesn't want fixed lens camera. Me, I'm happy with my M10 and am still deciding on another fixed lens compact (see X thread).

All reviews are positive and affirm the C-Lux as a can-do take anywhere camera. The D-Lux 7 of course has a faster lens but limited zoom range and is slightly bulkier.

I have three main questions: 

1) Is IQ adequate? 

2) Is it easy to use? We don't want to be delving constantly into menu settings or nudging the touch screen by mistake. 

3) Is there any perceptible difference (build quality, colors) compared with the Panasonic TZ220?

Keen to hear your thoughts.

8 hours ago, NZDavid said:

We're considering a C-Lux as a replacement for our D-Lux 5, which is 11 years old and hasn't missed a beat. Only a snuff of dust in the lens which worked its way out again. This would be mainly for my wife whose camera brief is simple: It must be easy to use, compact, and produce first-class results in all situations. That includes gardens and flowers, people, scenery, and buildings. Not too hard then! She really doesn't want fixed lens camera. Me, I'm happy with my M10 and am still deciding on another fixed lens compact (see X thread).

All reviews are positive and affirm the C-Lux as a can-do take anywhere camera. The D-Lux 7 of course has a faster lens but limited zoom range and is slightly bulkier.

I have three main questions: 

1) Is IQ adequate? 

2) Is it easy to use? We don't want to be delving constantly into menu settings or nudging the touch screen by mistake. 

3) Is there any perceptible difference (build quality, colors) compared with the Panasonic TZ220?

Keen to hear your thoughts.

I just acquired a C-Lux and I'm still reading the full manual. Unfortunately the Dutch language manual that came with the camera, or can be downloaded at the Leica website is just the short (QuickStart) manual. I now downloaded the Dutch language manual of the Panasonic TZ200. Also have the English manual at the Leica website, the full version. I'll try to answer your 3 main questions:

1) IQ just for now looked at the screen of the camera looks good. I compared it with the C Typ 112 that starts at f 2.0 28mm but a smaller sensor. I don't see much difference. 

2) At first I found the handling more difficult compared to the C Typ 112 but you can make different settings so diving into the menu is not always necessary. It should be possible to turn off the touch screen but I've not read the complete manual yet. There is a button on the camera that allows to turn off the screen so only the viewfinder is active.

3) Build quality is very good, same compared to the Panasonic version, only some cosmetic changes of the buttons on the back and the 2 color choices of the Leica C-Lux. Compared to my C Typ 112 it's quite heavy.

I try to sent you a PM with some additional information.

Roger

• Like 1