At last, the 2021 Not "The One Challenge" Challenge details

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Date: 16th October 2021

Time: 14:00 hours start, in your own Time Zone, anywhere on the planet.

After much deliberation and cogitation, it has been settled that the second "Covid" virtual "One Challenge" will take place in lieu of the previously planned (x2) Athens one. One day, we will get to see the wonders of Ancient Greece, but for now, for most of us, unfortunately that's not an option.

Let's hope that we can all get together in Athens next year for a real One Challenge.

Therefore, all Forum Members, young, old, new or "been here for ages", are cordially invited to take part in a virtual challenge.

The rules are simple, and obviously on a trust basis (as they always are, to be fair).

1. You may use only ONE camera body
  2. You may use only ONE lens on that body.
  3. If your camera has a zoom lens, you may only use ONE focal length within that range
  4. You may only use ONE 36 exposure film, or shoot 36 digital shots. 
  5. The competition starts at 14:00 hours in your own time zone. You have TWO hours from the time you have taken your first shot until your time is up, regardless of whether you have taken all 36 shots. The purpose of the challenge is to shoot in the daytime, of course, so starting after the afternoon has passed isn't allowed. See Night Challenge below.
  6. You then process your film (if that's what you are using) and then choose your ONE best shot from those you have taken on the afternoon.
  7. You send your ONE shot to me at an email address that I will share after the event.
  8. You send me details of the camera/lens/film/ISO combination that you have used, plus a location, so that later, people can know where the shot was taken and with what equipment.
  9. Entries must be with me by 22:00 GMT/UTC on Saturday 30th October 2021.
  10. I will collect and collate all of the entries and put them all into one thread and every member, whether they have submitted a shot or not, may vote for their three favourites - 3 points for the best, 2 points for the second and 1 point for the third.
  11. All shots will be anonymised for the purposes of voting.
  12. Votes with fewer than three scores will not be counted.
  13. Voting will be open for two weeks, with the winner being announced on Saturday 13th November 2021.
  14. There is no entry fee for this Challenge and therefore no prize, apart from a warm glowing feeling from all the kudos that winning a competition brings.
  15. There is NO theme this year - take and submit whatever you fancy, wherever you are.

As usual, we will also have a Night Challenge - same rules apply with regards to number of shots, but they can be taken at any time after dark. 

If anyone has any questions, please ask.

Thanks!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 10

• andybarton changed the title to At last, the 2021 Not "The One Challenge" Challenge details

Can I make the same suggestion as I did for last year's "Not" the One Challenge. The original "One" version had a €10 entry fee from everyone, to form the prize pot for the winner. I suggest that those who might like to do so could donate the equivalent (€10 or whatever in their local currency) to their favourite charity in lieu of the entry kitty?

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Andy, 

Thanks for the clear instructions!

Charles (Bateleur), Veronique and I will meet up at 13h local time next Saturday at the pier in Scheveningen (NL) for the "Not the Athens One Challenge 2021". Likely starting with a cup of coffee or a wee bit of lunch, but definitely continuing with finding proper photo opportunities afterwards. If anyone is happy and willing to join, you are welcome - and please let me know.

Best regards

Christoph

• Like 4

1 hour ago, octo said:

Not sure I can do it this time; back to work on one side and on the 16th I am preparing for another type of competition and leaving in the afternoon but I'll cheer from the aisles!

I look forward to seeing you again next year, Philippe, the best of luck with your other competition, and I'm glad you're enjoying your retirement. ^_^

Pete.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Andy, 

Thanks for the clear instructions!

Charles (Bateleur), Veronique and I will meet up at 13h local time next Saturday at the pier in Scheveningen (NL) for the "Not the Athens One Challenge 2021". Likely starting with a cup of coffee or a wee bit of lunch, but definitely continuing with finding proper photo opportunities afterwards. If anyone is happy and willing to join, you are welcome - and please let me know.

Best regards

Christoph

Nice idea to get meetings running again, if only on a small scale. Unfortunately, I'm blocked that weekend due to an upcoming anniversary in the clan.

Stefan

• Thanks 1

I have been in Athens for only one day .. and am loving it. Great restaurants, half a dozen ruins within 850m of my Air B&B (and that excludes the GF ... Andy, you are to reject her application to join this forum!), fabulous food and desserts, drinkable wine, good local micro brewery beer. I feel sorry for you all missing it. The rains in the late afternoon, make for gorgeous light in the evening as the light reflects off the wet marble on the ground. I will have an extended lunch next year to make use of it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

On 10/11/2021 at 9:25 PM, Sandokan said:

I have been in Athens for only one day .. and am loving it. Great restaurants, half a dozen ruins within 850m of my Air B&B (and that excludes the GF ... Andy, you are to reject her application to join this forum!), fabulous food and desserts, drinkable wine, good local micro brewery beer. I feel sorry for you all missing it. The rains in the late afternoon, make for gorgeous light in the evening as the light reflects off the wet marble on the ground. I will have an extended lunch next year to make use of it. 

Did no one tell you the physical event had been postponed then, Ravi? :D

• Haha 2

On 10/13/2021 at 6:30 PM, DigitalHeMan said:

Did no one tell you the physical event had been postponed then, Ravi? :D

6 hours ago, andybarton said:

He’s doing a great job sorting out dinner venues for next year, by trying five different restaurants each night. 😊

2 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Is he on a diet?

1 hour ago, andybarton said:

Five a day…

Only 4 tonight as I missed lunch due to work and overindulged at the first place I went to, where I ended up chatting to some Essex girls and keeping up with them, pint for pint for the first 4 :(. I then biddet them farewell and they said "yer watttt?"

Thereafter, sanity returned. The spinach and feta pie was delicious although the pastry was a tad overbaked and not light and fluffy, but the G&T made me very drunk, so I moved to water for the next round at the next restaurant. 

The dolmadakias were better than average, but i do prefer them with just a hint of minced beef in them, I thought the bottle of ouzo would be enough for that meal, but the grilled prawns required a light refreshing white wine, so I had a bottle of that too. 

Dessert was a starter dish of feta cheese drizzled with honey and covered in sesame seeds. 

The night time shooting was a tad unsteady ... and now the tiping ith 2 difiklt fr my wek iis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7