Opinion about X Vario and X typ 113 in 2020?

lukahils2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good day all, new here in Leica forum. I am offered a used Leica X Vario for a good price. Also as an alternative, could also bought used X typ 113 albeit slightly higher price.

I have minimum experience with manual photography, but have seen and liked plenty of Leica shots, so I view these as an introduction to the Leica world. Also have read reviews but most are already old ones.

My interest is in architecture photography, also wants to learn about street and portrait photography.

Please help me decide, and really appreciate any opinions. Thank you.

Welcome Luka. With an interest in architecture,  the wider angle of the X-Vario zoom lens would swing the argument for me.

Both are excellent cameras. Either would be a joy to own. I still use my X-Vario, which is superior for pet portraits and close-up work. The zoom lens is very useful for framing travel shots.

Good specimens of the X-Vario are difficult to find. Tell us what you decide to do.

The typ 113 is a lovely camera. Produces beautiful images from its f1.7 lux lens and the bonus is its close MFD. The precursor to the Q so its no slouch. Nice for portraiture.

The negatives are that it doesnt have hyper focal distance scale on the lens so its a bit difficult for street shooting, but not impossible, and the AF is some what sluggish by todays standard. A tip would get the dof online and memorise the range. Also the evf is a must as the lcd can get washed out and difficult to see on a bright day, albeit it performs sluggishly. At least the evf is better on the typ113 than on the vario

I didnt see any noticeable distortion and is quite flat throughout the field at least for my uses, so its well capable for architecture and landscape. If you check flickr theres nice examples on what its capable of.

All the best

I was going to start a new thread but this is the same topic. Earlier this year I got an X Vario but then decided I really needed camera with a  faster lens --  I do more lower light shots than I thought. So I got an X113, in excellent condition. I can only keep one so you'd appreciate more advice. 

Pros for both cameras: the clear analog interface. You don't even need to consult the manual too much.

I have been struggle to nail autofocus in all situations with is a bit of  nuisance, as I wanted a faster backup to my M10. Not all modes seem to work very well, including Face Detection for faces. They also vary between the cameras. One point autofocus mode seems the most reliable so far. Yes, you can use manual mode but it's a bit slow and people will run out of patience.

I'm deciding if either X is the best choice overall but there is no doubting overall IQ or build quality; both are superb.

I have also done lots of architecture shots, mostly houses. Wide angle is definitely a must, which swings your decision to the XV. Even with a  slower lens, you could always mount it on a  tripod but high ISO settings (for me, that is only up to ISO 1600) are fine.

Glad you chimed in David, I read the original post when first posted and thought of you.

Neither is new, so the "sluggishness" etc are part of the age. Both are wonderful in their own right though. One thing I thought of when I read your post (here) as a faster backup to your M10, is the Q perhaps.

To the OP, if you can, keep both, use both, each are lovely.

• Like 1

If you have an  M10 , that should meet your need for speed.

If not, get used to using higher ISO settings. I use my XV indoors, a lot. With good daylight, much can be done with available light. For still-Life, I use a table or small tripod and get superb results. The perception of lack of speed is often in the mind, rather than being an actual problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/28/2021 at 9:01 AM, lukahils2 said:

Good day all, new here in Leica forum. I am offered a used Leica X Vario for a good price. Also as an alternative, could also bought used X typ 113 albeit slightly higher price.

I have minimum experience with manual photography, but have se tweakbox en and liked plenty of Leica shots, so I view these as an introduction to the Leica world. Also have read reviews but most are already old ones.  tutuapp

My interest is in architecture photography, also wants to learn about street and portrait photography.

Please help me decide, and really appreciate any opinions. Thank you.

isssue got solved!!

Street and portrait could be taken with any common lens, camera. It is content which photograph could capture or not.

Architecture could be architectural elements, or parts if not all buildings surroundings. Zoom might be better for it.

But, IMO, architecture, if taken seriously, is done by T&S at least.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2021 at 5:24 PM, wda said:

Welcome Luka. With an interest in architecture,  the wider angle of the X-Vario zoom lens would swing the argument for me.

Both are excellent cameras. Either would be a joy to own. I still use my X-Vario, which is superior for pet portraits and close-up work. The zoom lens is very useful for framing travel shots.

Good specimens of the X-Vario are difficult to find. Tell us what you decide to do.

May i ask what you mean by God specimens are hated to find?

Thanks

1 hour ago, gblader said:

Sorry - I was using swipe to text haha.

May I ask what you meant by good specimens are hard to find? Does it have to do with the lens, the overall condition of the camera, etc?

Thanks,

James

James, few signs of use. Trade-in values were so low that few specimens reach the market. Those who sold, later regretted doing so, judging from occasional comments in discussions. Leica UK occasionally have one, taken in part-exchange. Watch sales on this forum.

3 hours ago, wda said:

James, few signs of use. Trade-in values were so low that few specimens reach the market. Those who sold, later regretted doing so, judging from occasional comments in discussions. Leica UK occasionally have one, taken in part-exchange. Watch sales on this forum.

I own both the Leica X-Vario and the Leica X Type 113. Both are good cameras but I have used them very little so far, maybe because I like to travel light. The resale value or trade-in value is indeed very low. So low, in fact, that I kept both cameras. Maybe I could try the classified section of the forum for the X-Vario. On the other hand prices of good 2nd hand analogue cameras are skyrocketing. I have been able to sell some at no loss. 2nd hand digital Leica M cameras prices seem to me to be very stable. Recently saw a minty M8 (low shutter count) at a dealer for around 1900€.

Roger

• Like 1

It's interesting because I bought my m240 off eBay around 2014-ish? Don't really remember, but got a good price on it. They have excellent prices. Also, just picked up an X Vario off eBay as well - silver for $900. Don't know if that's a good deal or not, but hope to start posting some pics soon - assuming I didn't get scammed ;)