Next new DG DN lenses from Sigma; 90mm f2.8 and 24mm f2.0

Reggie

1 hour ago, Chris W said:

You don't think they should have a roadmap that covers 12 months so people know what they are buying and what is coming down the track?

It's odd to me to launch a 24mm f3.5 then 9 months later launch an f2 version.

No. They should not. It needs to be a surprise.

• Haha 1

Based on the Sigma presentation, it seems they’re building up 2 parallel i-series lens lineups. f2 series and f/2.8+ series.

This is pretty similar to the approach that Leica uses where they have a Noctilux/Summilux line for large aperture, Summicron for balanced low light and size, and then there’s Elmarit/Elmar for more compact/light lenses.

Seems like the i-series cover the Summicron and Elmarit/Elmar side of things and the Art series cover the large aperture side.

On 9/7/2021 at 11:12 PM, Abram said:

I have all the others for my SL and I have been so impressed by each one.

A few years ago, maybe not. But today, buying a Leica SL2-s and use Sigma Contemporary lenses only, it totally makes sense to me.

9 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

The 24/2 looks interesting, but I’m not warming to a 24/2, 35/2 and 65/2 set.

Sigma how about 40/2 and 50/2 next.

that would be great.

24 + 40 + 90 ... very interesting

• Like 2

That 90mm lens is almost too small to take it away from its mother (which is great in this context!). It is really appealing that there are small, light, sharp and pleasing lenses available for L mount. I still adore my 50mm APO Summicron, but having the ability to toss in high quality, light primes alongside it is great. You can get almost all of them for the price of one Summicron, either as a stop gap or just a replacement. The clearly are superb as an option for a lesser used focal length, even if you want to stay primarily with Leica.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Between Leica, Panasonic and Sigma, there are multiple choices in primes 24 to 90 for the L mount along with multiple zooms in that range. Would really like to see a 20 or 21 at 2.8 or 2.0. Has sub 24mm become too specialized? Leica has announced a 21 but who knows when it will show, seems like a good opportunity for one of the others to get there first.

• Like 1

If the 24mm feels good on the S5, I can see myself using it as a general walkaround lens for travel. The 90 would be fun alternative to the Panasonic 85mm f1.8,

As an aside, I wonder how well the Sigma 35mm f2 and f1.4 DG DN perform against the upcoming Panasonic 35mm f1.8, especially in terms of autofocus for stills. Will be good to find out.

I’ve noticed that the Panasonic lenses don’t seem to perform as well as the Sigma lenses when it comes to image quality. However, they are fully weather sealed, share a family of filter sizes, have better AF on Panasonic bodies and are designed to eliminate focus breathing. 

My conclusion is that they are designed with videographers rather than photographers in mind.

Edited by Reggie
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/11/2021 at 6:59 AM, Virob said:

Between Leica, Panasonic and Sigma, there are multiple choices in primes 24 to 90 for the L mount along with multiple zooms in that range. Would really like to see a 20 or 21 at 2.8 or 2.0. Has sub 24mm become too specialized? Leica has announced a 21 but who knows when it will show, seems like a good opportunity for one of the others to get there first.

Sony and NIkon have great 20mm primes for their mirrorless systems, My M mount travel setup includes 21, 35 and 50, so a 20 or 21mm L mount lens would suit me wonderfully.

As for the 24/2 and 90/2.8, I'm very tempted by these lenses if they are less expensive than, and perform as well as, their Panasonic counterparts.

As a CL user I like the idea of the 90. I already have the 24/3.5 and see little reason to get the f2.0 version (maybe if I end up with an SL at some point... Last time I spoke with Sigma UK they had told me something ultra-wide is coming soon, I'm hoping it's a 14 but in reality it will be an 18mm I think.

Sigma lenses these days are really good the difference in real world quality is not that far for my use and the price is fabulous for a budget like I have. Well done Sigma.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

For portraits, I am deciding between the 65mm f2 and the 90mm f2.8.  I have the 35mm f1.4 DG HSM and its a beast.  For my CL and SL and to be used for portraiture.  I have to be hones I am heading to the 65 due to the unique FL both at 1x crop and 1.5x crop.  Plus f2 rather than 2.8.   I love to shoot outdoors, but indoors is way more regular just now.

If you’re shooting portraits indoors then you might be better off with the 85 1.4 DG DN. 

It’s a bit of beast in the same vein as your 35 1.4 but it has superb resolution, rendering and very little distortion or chromatic aberration. 

The downsides are the size, weight and price compared to the i-series lenses. 

If you want to keep it cheap, small and light, the 45 2.8 DG DN has a very special render due to its spherical aberration and is an excellent portrait lens. It gets a bad press because its strengths and weaknesses are not well understood by the ‘we only want sharpness and lightning fast AF’ YouTube brigade. For a really good appraisal of the lens, take a look at Fred Miranda’s review of it. It was so good, he bought it twice…

Edited by Reggie
  • Like 1