The Gasman’s Dilemma

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m contemplating adding a second camera to the mix, alongside the CL. What I originally had in mind was adding a CL2 with all the improvements that people here and elsewhere believe we might see. It would allow me to have two lenses on the go at any one time if I wanted, a presumably similar UI, and have IBIS for longer lenses, which I imagine a CL2 might have.

Enter an acquaintance who tells me that I shoot mostly at wider angles and that I always seem to admire the shots I see in the Q forum here and the Q gallery on LFI. He’s right. A few years ago I borrowed a Q from my friendly AD here in Chicago and loved using it, but felt I wanted more flexibility, so picked the CL.

Whichever way I go it’s likely the CL and the CL2 will use different batteries, and the CL and the Q2 use different batteries, so no economies of scale here.

Is it just GAS, or can anyone here offer a line of thinking that might help me clarify which way to go? I might add I have no interest in buying into the M or SL families. Or should I simply just ask nurse for my meds a little early and have a lie down?

MTIA!

Well, as someone who was just gifted a Q2 for my 50th and has a CL, I am all favor in you joining the CL/Q2 club.   Like you, I had no interest in going down the M/SL rabbit hole.  

Maybe, it's just because it's new (I'm on year 3 about to hit 4 on the CL), but it really feels like next level kit.  The shutter is silent.  I've had no issues with dust or white pixels yet and it's the beautiful, well made, understated, easy to hold gear we've come to expect.

Images are incredible and have even more of the "pop" than the CL.  The 35TL comes close, but close, that's it.  

I also still see plenty of use for my CL.  As part of the same b-day, I scored a Leica adapter and voigtlander color Skopar 35 and now I feel ready to conquer the world!

You could consider a little-used original Q until the future looks clearer. Both the CL and Q use identical batteries and the Q produces fantastic images.. There has been a sustained marketing thrust for Leicas SL and M cameras and lenses this year. Paving the way for CL2, maybe?

Or do as suggested and get a used Q. It uses the same batteries and would save you some money if you don't need the higher pixel count or weather sealing. But I think the menus and buttons on the Q2 will be more like the CL. I have the Q and CL and it took me a little to get used to the CL menus and less buttons. But it's not that big of a deal. It's nice having the ability to share batteries between them both. You mostly shoot color, as per the images you share, so maybe not the Q2M. 

Or maybe redirect and fine a really nice 18mm for the CL that would be more the equivalent to having a Q with the camera you already have. But the Q/Q2 have OIS which most lens for the CL don't have. There is also the Macro on the Q/Q2... If you are going though the trouble of carrying a second camera not having matching batteries shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Q + CL = same battery but different UI 

Q2 + CL = different battery but same UI

Q or CL = small files  

Q2 = huge files 

Q2 IQ > Q IQ

Q2 weathersealing is nice to have  

Your choice. Mine is Q2 + CL. But I was equally happy with my former Q + CL combo. 

In my opinion if you have to chose only one Leica camera.   Q or Q2 are the cameras to get ! 
Way before any M, CL, TL, SL or S  

Figures don’t lie : by far the best selling Leica of all time : M3 then M6 then Q by far. 
All three were a revolution for Leica and its customers. They are perfect photo taking machines. 

Edited by nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I undestand perfectly your view along two optics ready to go. I solve that situation by having two CLs. Not original, but at least same UI, same files, same battery, ...etc..

This will not kill a GAS state: I will see precisely when a CL2 appears 🤪

Make your choice and be happy.

1 hour ago, frame-it said:

probably because the CL2, if the rumored specs are accurate, might be more like an APS-C Leica M10, with EVF and ibis

Haven't seen any rumours since last December.    All seems very quiet on the CL2 front... some thinking there may not be one at all.   I'm wondering if Leica has finished with APS-c, that would be a great shame, still keeping my fingers crossed, although the last thing I need is something else to stretch my photography budget.

As someone who pretty much always has two camera's with me, whatever I'm doing, I quite understand @Le ChefGAS, though I prefer a FF option alongside the CL, usually an M, sometimes analogue.

If you are sure you don't want to go down the M or SL Route, then of course there are the Panasonic offerings S5 or Sigma Fp/FpL for example, only one with true IBIS is the S5, but Q if you like 28mm seems the most obvious.   Not sure why I'm prattling on, I'm sure you have thought of all of the options, it's the wait to see if there is going to be a CL2 that is the problem.  Some bargains on used TL2's around. 

The real question is “Alternative” vs “Extension”. I can imagine taking out just a Q/2 as I like shooting at wider angles.  I can also see taking out two CL’s with two or three lenses while the Q would stay home.

The “Ah-ha!” is that kind of thinking just added TWO cameras to the setup…

@Boojay, back me up here!

Edited by Le Chef

12 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

The real question is “Alternative” vs “Extension”. I can imagine taking out just a Q/2 as I like shooting at wider angles.  I can also see taking out two CL’s with two or three lenses while the Q would stay home.

The “Ah-ha!” is that kind of thinking just added TWO cameras to the setup…

@Boojay, back me up here!

Don't ask me because my answer will always be go for it,  as long as kids don't need anything and funds permit...  I have little restraint when it comes to camera stuff, feels like we are heading for times when the banks charge you for keeping your money so why not enjoy it while still fit and strong enough to do so😃.   With little to no travel the last eighteen months I have definitely splashed out here and there.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets bitten by the bug.  I wanted a full frame and ended up with an M, mostly because I'd never had one and I liked the images I saw with the lenses I have.  Thought it would be a good compliment to my CL.  Considered a Q2 but don't care for the limitations of a fixed lens.  Just personal preference.  Images are excellent, though.  

Don't really have any suggestions except that if it's in the budget, get what makes you happy.  

Your post made me laugh because recently I've been feeling the exact same urge to add a full-frame (SL or Q series) Leica to my kit - presently I own just the CL and several TL lenses. 

I can share with you my own thought process as I ponder a similar possible purchase...

• A CL2 makes total sense as a second body if such a product will ever see the light of day. I've already made a considerable investment in lenses. I just wish that Leica will give us some kind of sign that they intend to continue developing this product line. After several iterations, the TL line-up appears to be discontinued. I'll hold out for a few more months until I commit to a decision to buy a second body.
  • When looking at expensive gear, I ask myself how committed I am to my photography? Photography is a serious pursuit of mine, but it does not provide me with income. Is it worth it to buy the same expensive tools that the pros are using or should I remain happy with what I'm using? (which is also pretty good IMHO)
  • I don't golf. I'm not a car guy. I typically live well within my means - so heck, why shouldn't I indulge in a FF Leica? I'm well into my mid-40's and it is clear how much I enjoy photography, so why then am I chintzing out on something that will make me very, very happy?

That last point is what resonates with me the most.  😁

BTW - I don't think your problem is GAS-related, not if you are going to use all your gear items on a regular basis. If you find you are no longer using the CL, you can always sell it. 

Good luck to you!

I use the CL and the lenses I own on an almost daily basis. I will rotate through them and take at most two lenses with me to challenge myself. I learned the hard way that lots of heavy gear and carrying an overstuffed bag of lenses doesn't make me happy. It's why an SL/2/S and lenses would not make me happy nor would I use them as often as I use the CL kit, while still recognizing that they produce outstanding images. 

Subjectively I can see that uncropped that the Q/2 produces images that I would like to take but don't think the CL can. I would happily be corrected on this if someone could show me how to improve my technique for shooting or in Lightroom. 

I looked at some outstanding images in the CL forum today so maybe the challenge is me not the equipment.

2 hours ago, Le Chef said:

I use the CL and the lenses I own on an almost daily basis. I will rotate through them and take at most two lenses with me to challenge myself. I learned the hard way that lots of heavy gear and carrying an overstuffed bag of lenses doesn't make me happy. It's why an SL/2/S and lenses would not make me happy nor would I use them as often as I use the CL kit, while still recognizing that they produce outstanding images. 

Subjectively I can see that uncropped that the Q/2 produces images that I would like to take but don't think the CL can. I would happily be corrected on this if someone could show me how to improve my technique for shooting or in Lightroom. 

I looked at some outstanding images in the CL forum today so maybe the challenge is me not the equipment.

The CL is a great rig and as a new Q2 owner I  had unexpected emotions and nostalgia for my CL upon receipt of the new camera.  The CL like an extension of my being,

BUT

the Q2 simply blows the doors off the CL in low light and I mean blows the doors off, even when compared to much vaunted 35 Summilux. I suspect it's the image stabilization, but I am finally getting consistent great shots indoors in very sketchy to minimal light.  I could never achieve that with my CL.  Also, with the 47mp sensor you've essentially replaced the 18TL and 23TL lenses with a faster lens. (30MP at 35mm crop).

So, I will never give up my CL and am still hoping for an update, but do appreciate having one, weather sealed camera that I could throw in my bag for a trip and not bother with ANY other lenses or accoutrements.

Why don't you try the Ricoh GRIII? 

Pros: APS-C, 28mm wide, super pocketable, fits even in your jeans pocket, really excellent image quality, "snap focus", IBIS, very cheap

Cons: prone to dust, no ovf/evf, autofocus is meh

I see it as a good compromise. Want flexibility? Carry your CL + lenses. Want to go ultralight? Carry the Ricoh.

Edited by Simone_DF