M240 vs M8

Chris W

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Which is which?

Trying to decide which to keep. Minimal adjustments. I tried to match the white balance because they were very different (AWB).

Hauser and Wirth Gallery, Somerset

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Fig trees. The same 35mm f2 Summicron.

22 minutes ago, Chris W said:

Which is which?

Trying to decide which to keep. Minimal adjustments. I tried to match the white balance because they were very different (AWB).

Hauser and Wirth Gallery, Somerset

first M8,

second M240 ?

23 minutes ago, Chris W said:

Fig trees. The same 35mm f2 Summicron.

first M240

second M8 ?

In my practice, the DNG output can always been worked out, so OOC is not important.

😉 these pics are not enough to choose one over another

Edited by a.noctilux

I'm going with the opposite of what a.noctilux suggested.

In the first post, top is M240, bottom is M8. It's interesting to see the contrast differences.

In the next post, top is M8, bottom is M240. There's a negligible difference to the colors of the leaves, which can be down to movement in the wind and catching a different amount of light.

EDIT: I should be clear that the main tell for me is the difference in angle of view.

I only own an M-E 240, but from what I have seen, it would be better to keep than the M8 if you had that choice. Better battery, better reliability, newer, full-frame (I also own an M6 so consistent focal lengths are ideal), better screen for reviewing photos when needed, etc., etc.

But the other key question to ask is how does it make you feel :)

Edited by Gadfly21
  • Like 1

On the sculptures I used two different lenses. On the fig tree I used the same lens.

I used Capture One's ICC Profiles (M8 and M240) but the white balance was very different so I decided to try and match the two cameras a bit better.

I also have a Q. I can't justify keeping all three. The Q is easy and fun, but I prefer 35mm to 28mm.

I would have to use my 28mm f2.8 to get 35mm on the M8, plus the filter gets in the way a bit.

The M240 is small with my 35mm f2 on it. No crop, no IR filter.

I'll try and post some more images using the same lens. Obviously the 2mb restriction means some quality is lost when uploading.

56 minutes ago, Gadfly21 said:

I only own an M-E 240, but from what I have seen, it would be better to keep than the M8 if you had that choice. Better battery, better reliability, newer, full-frame (I also own an M6 so consistent focal lengths are ideal), better screen for reviewing photos when needed, etc., etc.

Yes, these are all definite plusses.

Last few. Obviously I have been shooting with the two bodies for a week or so, trying to decide. I thought it would be more cut and dried, favouring the M240.

I have to say I'm not seeing obviously 'better' colour and 'film like' qualities from the M8. It seems a lot closer to the M240 which is interesting even the age difference.

Maybe it's my lens evening things out. It is mid-80's pre-ASPH Summicron 35mm f2, no 6 bit coding.

The M8 files seem to have more contrast out of the box. The AWB balance seem to be more neutral, tending towards cool, which I quite like. The M240 files are more flat, but maybe have more detail and clarity with work? The AWB is a lot more warm, almost orangey. 

I'd choose the M240; not because the M8 isn't capable of creating beautiful images - it is - but mainly because the 240 has all the benefits of a Full-Frame sensor which is 24Mb instead of the 10Mb 1.33x crop-sensor of the M8.

I had an M8.2 for years and really loved it but, having had the M-D Typ-262 - which shares the sensor from the M240 - for my needs / likes there really is no contest between the two types of camera.

Good luck with making your choice!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

Chris,

three choices, if I can suggest the obvious :

- if you don't need the money from selling one, keep them

- if you need smaller amount of money from M8, sell it then use the money for anything else

- if you need more money, then sell M240

• Like 1

For £1000 I can keep the M8. It is a VGC low shutter count (7,000) one.

But in reality, I really don't need two platforms for my M lenses.

I really should sell my Q, but the images it produces are lovely and I've too quickly sold other good cameras in the past (Hasselblad Xpan and Epson RD1s).

3 hours ago, Chris W said:

...in reality, I really don't need two platforms for my M lenses...

I can empathise 100% with your dilemma.

Before I picked up my aforementioned M-D I had been using an M9-P for many years (and around 75,000 shots) and truly loved it. Having used the M-D, however, I so much preferred the resulting shooting experience that I realised the M9 would always be relegated to 'spare body' status - which would have been a terrible shame - so sold it and replaced it with an M Monochrom; a decision which I have not regretted as it offers me a completely different 'tool' to work with instead of having two cameras which are giving, in essence, the same thing.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Philip.

• Like 2