35 or 50? Will it ever end

kivis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My first 35mm SLR came with a 50mm.

My first 35mm rangefinder came with a 50mm lens.

Over the years, I have tried 28, 35, 40, 45, 50, and 55mm prime lenses as my everyday lens.

The 35mm focal length has been my personal favorite for years. The 28mm was too wide for my taste and the 50mm was too telephoto for my taste.

I have never even owned a 50mm for my Leica M6 and M10. I only use a 35mm f/1.4 flanked by a 21mm f/1.4 and a 90mm f/2.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kivis said:

I own Seven 50mm lenses and no 35mm lenses

There is nothing a passionate photographer cannot do with a 50mm lens.
If you did not miss it by now you do not need it.

PS. I still am a super totally 50mm guy but I sold my noctilux and now use the 35FLE on a Leica M. There, made you think about getting that 35mm again.

• Like 1

vor 24 Minuten schrieb Narsuitus:

The 35mm focal length has been my personal favorite for years. The 28mm was too wide for my taste and the 50mm was too telephoto for my taste...

Exactly my taste too!
If I only take one lens with me it's a 35mm lens.
Mostly I take two lenses for a trip and these are 35mm and 21mm.
But somtimes I like 50mm an in addition a 28mm lens is perfect!
So I have two setups 21/35mm and 28/50mm - Decision is made upon the destinations.

• Like 1

vor 16 Stunden schrieb kivis:

I own Seven 50mm lenses and no 35mm lenses (I use a 21mm lens for wide angle). I know a lot of folks that use a 35mm lens for everyday. I have tried but can not seem to warm up to it. Not complaining really but wondering am I just a 50mm lens bigot and leave it at that? 😏

I really only counts what YOU need/want.

For me the M is also a lot about situations, people in group, portrait with surrounding, ...

I do like 50mm a lot as well, maybe my main focal length. But I also like a wider lens for certain situations and scenes. At the moment it is not 35 but 28+50.

But I also would always want a 35mm lens in my closet.

35 and 50 work best on the M IMO.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cp995 said:

So I have two setups 21/35mm and 28/50mm - Decision is made upon the destinations.

I do something similar.

If I am shooting street, I use 21/35mm with my Leica rangefinders.

If I am shooting landscapes, I shoot 28/45mm with my Contax rangefinders.

On 8/26/2021 at 5:01 AM, kivis said:

I own Seven 50mm lenses and no 35mm lenses (I use a 21mm lens for wide angle). I know a lot of folks that use a 35mm lens for everyday. I have tried but can not seem to warm up to it. Not complaining really but wondering am I just a 50mm lens bigot and leave it at that? 😏

Another 50mm lens bigot here :D. I "see" in 50mm and even when i use a zoom or the MATE Arnaud was referring to i end up to using the 50mm FL in most cases. Now 35mm is the equiv. focal length on APS-C and some 35mmm lenses have a unique character so i own a couple (let's say a dozen...) 35mm lenses as well. But on a desert island my favorite lens would be an Elmar-M 50/2.8 on any of my FF bodies. FWIW.