Advertisement (gone after registration)

The bucolic Barnack and the bashful behemoth .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Leica III g und Leica II f shot with Linhof 4X5

Edited by Rennrocky
  • Like 5

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

IIIg and Couplex:

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

IIIc BP 1950

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My first owned Leica (in my youth I just borrowed one from the second hand stock of the photo retailer I worked for) was a somewhat battered 111a - bought over 30 years ago. That got traded in for an M8 etc. etc. you will all know the story of upgrading. Trawling through Ebay the other day I found this 1935 111 and could not resist it as it was very reasonably priced.

The Tewe finder & the Jupiter 8 lens were in my curio cabinet, I now need to find a decent lens to replace the Jupiter 8. At some point the camera has had a flash socket fitted on the back between the rangefinder and viewfinder and a very faded sticker from Wallace Heaton on the back - a bit of history there! The second photo taken today, a test roll - processed in very old chemicals, need to buy fresh ones now as I'd not developed a 35mm roll of film in years. Just compared it to my Dlux 7 and there's not a lot of difference in size & weight, what goes around comes around.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Pintpot said:

My first owned Leica (in my youth I just borrowed one from the second hand stock of the photo retailer I worked for) was a somewhat battered 111a - bought over 30 years ago. That got traded in for an M8 etc. etc. you will all know the story of upgrading. Trawling through Ebay the other day I found this 1935 111 and could not resist it as it was very reasonably priced.

The Tewe finder & the Jupiter 8 lens were in my curio cabinet, I now need to find a decent lens to replace the Jupiter 8. At some point the camera has had a flash socket fitted on the back between the rangefinder and viewfinder and a very faded sticker from Wallace Heaton on the back - a bit of history there! The second photo taken today, a test roll - processed in very old chemicals, need to buy fresh ones now as I'd not developed a 35mm roll of film in years. Just compared it to my Dlux 7 and there's not a lot of difference in size & weight, what goes around comes around.

A wonderful picture of the building. Could you tell us the film and developer?

1 hour ago, Doug A said:

A wonderful picture of the building. Could you tell us the film and developer?

Thank you for your kind words Doug

FP4 rated at 200 iso, Ilford Microphen dev. an old 300ml. pack made up fresh today stock strength 7.5 min at 20c. As this was the first film through the camera I bracketed the exposures. I now think that 9 to 10 min. would have been a better development time. As I said - must get some fresh chemistry. Time for me to re-read Ansel Adams - The Negative again, I've spent too many years with my digital Leica cameras, got lazy with metering!

Cheers

Edited by Pintpot
typo
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Pintpot said:

Thank you for your kind words Doug

FP4 rated at 200 iso, Ilford Microphen dev. an old 300ml. pack made up fresh today stock strength 7.5 min at 20c. As this was the first film through the camera I bracketed the exposures. I now think that 9 to 10 min. would have been a better development time. As I said - must get some fresh chemistry. Time for me to re-read Ansel Adams - The Negative again, I've spent too many years with my digital Leica cameras, got lazy with metering!

Cheers

Thank you. I haven't used Microphen for a number of years. After seeing your results with FP4 I think I should give it another try.

25 minutes ago, Doug A said:

Thank you. I haven't used Microphen for a number of years. After seeing your results with FP4 I think I should give it another try.

Thanks - but it could be good luck on my part. I'll have to go on line to get fresh chemistry now as no one here in Manchester sells photochemicals now, oh dear!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite camera for a slowly weekend.

Edited by Panfoto
  • Like 5

For the first time I have all my screw-mount kit together.
From the left:

• Leitz II Model D, 1932 back from Malcolm Taylor today, after r/f refurb with new mirrors, body straightening, shutter & rewind mech refurb. Mounting a 1931/2 Elmar 5cm, cleaned and infinity lock repaired. Waiting to be loaded with Delta 400. Next to it 1951 Elmar.
  • Leitz Standard, 1936, mounting a Nikkor 2.8cm f/3.5, and Nikkor 2.8cm VF. Loaded with Delta 3200. Next to it 1935 Elmar 5cm, recently cleaned and sorted (stiff aperture ring) by Camera Obscura. 
  • Leitz IIf black dial, 1953/4, mounting a Nikkor 3.5cm f/2.5 and Leitz 3.5cm VF*. Loaded with XP2. Next to it a 1951 Summitar, coated - back today from service by Malcolm Taylor to clean/regrease the aperture ring and tighten the extension mech. It may go back later in the year to remove a little haze (he had no time this visit).

* Edit: correction, I have accidentally put the 5cm VF on the body for the pic, instead of the 3.5cm!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 15

• 1 month later...

Hi Friends, 

Thank you for accepting my application. I've been a photographer since 1960, first 7 years with 4x5 Speed Graphics, but in 1971 on the street in Penang, Malaysia, I bought a Luftwaffe Leica with all the authenticating details. For photojournalism, when a Filipino dealer offered me a IIIg in trade, I accepted. That went for the M3 I still have. 

I'm still doing serious photo documentation, use Barnack Leicas particularly in work with my fellow Native Americans. This week, I bought what I think is a Leica II albeit with a Summicron, you see in the attached photo. It appears to be covered in snakeskin, has the PC contact on the top between the eye pieces, that strange brass ring around the shutter dial, with 1955/'57 cards in the leather case pocket, instructions for using bulb vs. electronic flash.

It's in beautiful operating condition; the rangefinder is brighter and more contrasty than most later M39 Leicas and I love working with it, the fact that it feels smallest and lightest of the bunch is a tactile bonus.

But please, can anyone verify the location of the PC socket in that location or the function/origin of that brass lugged ring on the shutter speed dial?

I'll post some images to the gallery soon. Thanks again for the acceptance.

JoeM39

Edited by JoeM39
grammar, I'm an English Major! Just changed a preposition.
  • Like 8

I think the ring round the shutter speed dial is an early mechanical flash synch adaptor. As the dial spins round when you press the shutter button the raised part makes contact with some other attachment that is missing and trips the flash.

The flash socket on top must be a later addition.

Nice outfit and quite an early Leica 11.

Edited by Pyrogallol
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Leica II f

Yours sincerely
Thomas

• Like 4