Advertisement (gone after registration)

In addition to the above, here’s my early Leica II Model D from 1932 sporting a much more modern Summitar. Recently CLA’d, it’s good for a few more decades!

Edited by cobbu2
  • Like 5

On 9/17/2021 at 5:00 PM, caymanlawyer said:

It’s just a normal iiif BD, but it’s my favourite Leica (ahead of an MP, M3 and M6TTL). Perfect size and weight and balance. I prefer using the external viewfinder on this to the 50mm viewfinder in the M3 (but I shoot a lot of 90mm and nothing beats the M3 for that). MP and M6 are for wides. I sometimes hanker after a iiig or iid in black but really I would just end up splitting the use between them. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Awesome I love that finder too!! Actually I think the Barnack are perfect for wide lenses..if you put a 21mm or 28mm on it it becomes a point and shoot (and the voigtlander 28/35mm viewfinder is better than M camera 28mm framelines)

3 hours ago, cobbu2 said:

In addition to the above, here’s my early Leica II Model D from 1932 sporting a much more modern Summitar. Recently CLA’d, it’s good for a few more decades!

Nickel Leicas are the best, and nickel lenses look amazing on it too! I have my nickel DIII with a nickel elmar and summar attached and it’s my favorite combo

• Like 1

Here's my 1930 Leica 1 model A to model C conversion;

...and a snap from the first roll I shot with the combo. Film was well out of date, commercially processed and scanned - and not very well at that.  Somehow all the images on the roll look like they might have been snapped sometime around the 1950's.....

Much as I love the camera I do wish that it had strap-lugs. I use it with a wrist-strap affixed to the tripod-socket but, of course, that makes putting it down flat on its base impossible. Still; first-world problems.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 10

6 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Nickel Leicas are the best, and nickel lenses look amazing on it too! I have my nickel DIII with a nickel elmar and summar attached and it’s my favorite combo

Agreed! I've never been in possession of a Summar, that may be next on my list; examples with good glass are hard to find.

1 hour ago, pippy said:

Here's my 1930 Leica 1 model A to model C conversion.

Much as I love the camera I do wish that it had strap-lugs. I use it with a wrist-strap affixed to the tripod-socket but, of course, that makes putting it down flat on its base impossible. Still; first-world problems.

Philip.

Whilst it is rather expensive, Luigi makes a rather nice half case with fixed strap for lugless models. I use one on my 1A converted to 1C and it works very well. I realise that many people are not keen on half cases but it may be worth a look.

Edited by Matlock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Matlock said:

Whilst it is rather expensive, Luigi makes a rather nice half case with fixed strap for lugless models...

Thanks very much for the suggestion, Matlock, and I do appreciate the craftsmanship of his cases but I'm simply not really very fond of cases at all. At the time I acquired the camera I did buy an early Leica case whose nose-section was very poorly repaired / stitched-on with the intention of simply cutting the whole front section off and using the remainder, in effect, as a half-case. It sort-of works OK......but I'm still not a fan!

Funnily enough when I took the camera out for the first time - when I snapped the harbour-scene posted above - it was in the as-yet unmolested case and, through my own carelessness, lost two frames when shooting in 'portrait' orientation because the snap-fastener bit of the front section had managed to swing in front of the lens and I hadn't noticed......](*,)......fortunately nothing important was 'lost' as this first roll was really just to check the camera was working properly and that the curtains were light-tight.

Philip.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pippy said:

Thanks very much for the suggestion, Matlock, and I do appreciate the craftsmanship of his cases but I'm simply not really very fond of cases at all. At the time I acquired the camera I did buy an early Leica case whose nose-section was very poorly repaired / stitched-on with the intention of simply cutting the whole front section off and using the remainder, in effect, as a half-case. It sort-of works OK......but I'm still not a fan!

Funnily enough when I took the camera out for the first time - when I snapped the harbour-scene posted above - it was in the as-yet unmolested case and, through my own carelessness, lost two frames when shooting in 'portrait' orientation because the snap-fastener bit of the front section had managed to swing in front of the lens and I hadn't noticed......](*,)......fortunately nothing important was 'lost' as this first roll was really just to check the camera was working properly and that the curtains were light-tight.

Philip.

I understand that half cases are something of a "love/hate" thing but I find it works rather well. As to your point about the problem with the front section of the Leica case, they don't call them "never ready" cases for nothing. 😄

• Haha 2

My IIIc, f conversion, with CLA 1951 Summicron collapsible ltm.  A beautiful camera and great lens...lovely to use.

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 14

I just procured a Barnack- a 1954 Leica iiif along with the Leica elmar 5cm 3.5 and a Leica Leitz 5cm 50mm View finder SBOOI. This one joins my 1956 Leica M3 double stroke. Excited, had always wanted to shoot with a Barnack!!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Return of my IIIg with its new vulcanite. I love it☺️

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Leica 1a from 1928.

Erik.

• Like 7

gelatin silver print (elmar 50mm f3.5) leica 1a (1928)

Erik.

• Like 5

Yes, it is a four digit, 653X. It is completely original, only the bottom of the bottomplate is repainted. The lens is in perfect condition. The curtains are still original. The camera works perfectly. It has the mushroom release button and the original body-covering.

Edited by Erik van Straten
  • Like 6

Thank you, yes, the lens is still fine. The shutter runs smoothly. With modern cassettes sometimes the perforation is appearant in the frame. I use a FOFER rangefinder. Fun!

Erik.

Edited by Erik van Straten
  • Like 6

First test, picture taken with a 50 Elmar nickelé from 1928 / Leica II / hp5

What a beautiful lens, i love it..

• Like 7