50mm f/3.5 Elmar lens: depth of field scale

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When did Leitz add the depth of field scale to 50mm f/3.5 Elmar lenses? My 1930 Leica I (Model A) #28077 has no depth of field scale on the lens, but an image in Paul-Henry van Hasbroeck’s book ‘Rare and Unusual Screw-Mount Leicas and Accessories’ shows another 1930 Leica I(A) #57139 with a depth of field scale. I’ve looked at Filippo Giunta’s ‘Leica Screw-Mount Cameras: A Systematic Approach’, and although he lists many variations between Leica I cameras, the depth of field scale on the lens is not one of them (apart from his also listing #57139). Was the scale added to the lenses on Leica I (A) cameras in 1930? If so, at what serial number? Is it as simple as that? And did all subsequent interchangeable 50mm Elmar lenses have the depth of field scale?

Alan

According to Laney, DOF scale was added at s/n 47.000 (1930) , which looks consistent with the two items you quote : I think that the rotating mount with DOF scale is always of the slanted type (*)... straight-sided mounts that I saw are all without DOF (btw, apparently the Luxus existed with both types... but I don't pretend to be sure of)

The question of conversions of course mixes all the possibilities... you can see  Elmax with DOF scale (Lager), maybe even Anastigmats... converted to standard mount - slanted : they clearly kept the original front assembly adapting it to a standard Elmar mount.

More detailed elements welcome.. (the slanted surface with DOF was an "addon" conical ring or a differently machined part ? Dunno, but I think is an addon).

Afaik DOF scale was always present in the subsequent Elmars... with the well known repositioning of the scale after WWII (with "triangle" and "diamond" variants)

(*) To illustrate :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, luigi bertolotti said:

According to Laney, DOF scale was added at s/n 47.000 (1930) , which looks consistent with the two items you quote : I think that the rotating mount with DOF scale is always of the slanted type (*)... straight-sided mounts that I saw are all without DOF (btw, apparently the Luxus existed with both types... but I don't pretend to be sure of)

The question of conversions of course mixes all the possibilities... you can see  Elmax with DOF scale (Lager), maybe even Anastigmats... converted to standard mount - slanted : they clearly kept the original front assembly adapting it to a standard Elmar mount.

More detailed elements welcome.. (the slanted surface with DOF was an "addon" conical ring or a differently machined part ? Dunno, but I think is an addon).

Afaik DOF scale was always present in the subsequent Elmars... with the well known repositioning of the scale after WWII (with "triangle" and "diamond" variants)

(*) To illustrate :

It is about that, Luigi, although a couple of my I Model As (one with a four digit SN and another an early 5 digit SN , in the teens) have had the earlier lens replaced by a later lens with the depth of field scale. As ever with Leicas, there are exceptions, but the actual production introduction was in the 40,000 + range.

I can show my two 'exception' cameras if members are interested. 

William 

• Thanks 1