Do we really need the SL APO Primes?

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the SL2 and the very good VE 24-90, but the 35mm SL is something else.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Do we really need anything? Technology has advanced so much that most of the things we have arent absolute necessity to our lives per se. I have the 24-90, APO 50 and 35 SL. While the 24-90 can bascially does all the job, the APO 35 and 50 serves it purpose when I want to walk around but don't want to sacrifice any image quality while being mobile. One could argue that iPhone could do all the job while being able to do a lot more at the same time, but we all know that's not we want anyway.

12 hours ago, jplomley said:

Anyone else notice their 35 APO biases DOF in front of the image plane at distances beyond 6 feet?

Isn't that inevitable?  When you focus at infinity all of the DOF is in front of the focal plane.  But I don't know how you define "bias."  Are you asking for an equal rotation of the lens focusing ring to be in focus before and after the point where it is sharpest?  Or looking at the tables where DOF limits are shown, and comparing feet in front to feet in back?

26 minutes ago, beewee said:

Why not just check the front, center, and back focus distances in MF mode on the top display to confirm? You can even plot the three sets of numbers on excel or something.

If I autofocus on an object between 6 ft and 30 ft, there is not a lot of DOF behind the plane of focus with the 35 APO L. It’s almost all in front. I don’t see this with the 16-35 SVE or the 75 APO L. I’m using an SL2. 

This is how my 35mm SL focuses... Focus was on the water spout.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

To the op I definitely understand your dilemma. In short, how I view this is if I have the money I keep the lenses even if I'm only going to use them once or twice a year. I've had the 90-280 since May and I only used it on one trip but it was still well worth it. I'm more of a prime guy and mainly use the 35/75sl or Q2 weekly.

I'm still working out the balance sometimes I challenge myself to only use the 75 for a month sometimes I just randomize. I try not to get too methodical with photography as it's a hobby/lifestyle outlet for me. So perhaps the best advice I can give is: if the extra lenses create more opportunity (or fun) for you keep them. If they create more headaches than fun then just sell them and if you want them again in the future you can always repurchase. Happy Shooting 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting topic, smiled a lot while reading.

I certainly don't need the prime's, but just want them 😊

I own the SL50 Summilux, it's heavy, ridiculous large, slow..........but then you see the results. Most of the time the 24-90 does it all but can't match the prime.

The SL 75 I don't need either but that's the next one for me.

• Like 1