Do we really need the SL APO Primes?

chris_tribble

I can understand where Chris is coming from.  I bought the SL initially with just the 24-90 zoom and an adapter for my M primes.  I then got seduced by the 16-35 zoom and the APO 75 Summicron SL and the 50 SL Summilux.  The 90-280 zoom was just too huge.  Of these, the 50 SL Summilux and the 75 Summicron were my favourites - just fantastic images from these lenses.

Then I thought about it a bit - what I wanted my camera for.  The SL is a user - weather sealed and rugged.  I prefer using my M cameras, so all the SL lenses, apart from the 24-90 zoom have gone - that’s my tramping and outdoor set up.  When I want one lens, that’s it.

For the rest, I have a choice of 3 M cameras (film, mono and colour) and primes from 21-75 (I do have a 135 Elmar, but rarely use it).  I’m sure the SL primes were the best lenses of the lot, but what I have serves my (amateur) purposes better. 

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 2

I realized how good the 50mm APO lens was when I shot it out a helicopter. For my birthday I got a quick tour over the volcano here, and I shot out the window with the SL2. These were shot wide open at f2 to get the highest shutter speeds. When Peter Karbe said you only need to stop down for depth of field, he seriously was not joking. I use this lens in artwork reproduction and it is as good as my 120mm APO Macro S lens, which is one of the best around. I realize everyone has different requirements, but I think if you are ok with primes, the APO summicrons are worth every penny. Personally, I do not find large and heavy zoom lenses that convenient, especially when you are holding them up to your face all day. I would rather have the weight and bulk of the extra focal lengths in the bag at my side or on the ground, and have a smaller and lighter lens on the camera. If it is also sharper and faster, that is even more of a bonus.

Here is the one shot wide open, with crops from the upper left and bottom right. Again, this was at f2. The small soft spot in the lower right is almost certainly from the helicopter window, which was curved and was dirty in certain areas. In any case, just look how clearly it resolves those fine details and with all that contrast, no distortion, no color fringing, no vignetting etc. I know some of these things are removed in software, but at the end of the day, the results are amazing.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I realized how good the 50mm APO lens was when I shot it out a helicopter. For my birthday I got a quick tour over the volcano here, and I shot out the window with the SL2. These were shot wide open at f2 to get the highest shutter speeds. When Peter Karbe said you only need to stop down for depth of field, he seriously was not joking. I use this lens in artwork reproduction and it is as good as my 120mm APO Macro S lens, which is one of the best around. I realize everyone has different requirements, but I think if you are ok with primes, the APO summicrons are worth every penny. Personally, I do not find large and heavy zoom lenses that convenient, especially when you are holding them up to your face all day. I would rather have the weight and bulk of the extra focal lengths in the bag at my side or on the ground, and have a smaller and lighter lens on the camera. If it is also sharper and faster, that is even more of a bonus.

Here is the one shot wide open, with crops from the upper left and bottom right. Again, this was at f2. The small soft spot in the lower right is almost certainly from the helicopter window, which was curved and was dirty in certain areas. In any case, just look how clearly it resolves those fine details and with all that contrast, no distortion, no color fringing, no vignetting etc. I know some of these things are removed in software, but at the end of the day, the results are amazing.

This certainly proves your point.  Shows the quality of the lens wide open.

• Thanks 1

Guest BlackBarn

Almost the same situation as @IkarusJohn. Bought the SL2 and SL 35 APO as my weathered sealed colour kit. Later decided I didn’t need the excellent specifics of the 35 but more the flexibility of the 24-90.  Thinking further I really didn’t need the ‘quality’ of  the 24-90 so started looking at the Panasonic 24-105 which had a more friendly weight and size profile with more than good enough performance for my inclement weather needs. Decision was made when I was able to pick  up a well looked after Panasonic on the second hand market for 1/5th of a new price 24-90.   So my SL 35 APO will go and the only reason I might regret that,  as well as selling my SL 16-35 90-280,  is if they bring out an SL2 mono.

Now if the SL2 system was my main user, I would go for the primes, could be that’s all psychological,  but I would feel it gave me the edge and  more options when editing and cropping. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, BlackBarn said:

Almost the same situation as @IkarusJohn. Bought the SL2 and SL 35 APO as my weathered sealed colour kit. Later decided I didn’t need the excellent specifics of the 35 but more the flexibility of the 24-90.  Thinking further I really didn’t need the ‘quality’ of  the 24-90 so started looking at the Panasonic 24-105 which had a more friendly weight and size profile with more than good enough performance for my inclement weather needs. Decision was made when I was able to pick  up a well looked after Panasonic on the second hand market for 1/5th of a new price 24-90.   So my SL 35 APO will go and the only reason I might regret that,  as well as selling my SL 16-35 90-280,  is if they bring out an SL2 mono.

Now if the SL2 system was my main user, I would go for the primes, could be that’s all psychological,  but I would feel it gave me the edge and  more options when editing and cropping. 

Part of me still wants the 16-35, 50 SL Summilux and 75 Summicron back again, but I really don't need them ...

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Stuart Richardson:

I realize everyone has different requirements, but I think if you are ok with primes, the APO summicrons are worth every penny. Personally, I do not find large and heavy zoom lenses that convenient, especially when you are holding them up to your face all day. I would rather have the weight and bulk of the extra focal lengths in the bag at my side or on the ground, and have a smaller and lighter lens on the camera. If it is also sharper and faster, that is even more of a bonus.

Exactly! (Currently I'm using SL Apo primes 28-50-90; couldn't be happier...)

• Like 1

Thanks all for thoughtful and constructive comments.  I'll continue to be grateful that I've got tools that will let me cover the range of images I want to make.  The primes will either come into their own - or they won't - but whatever decisions I end up making, I know I'm very lucky having the resources to do what I want to do in photography. 

• Like 6

On 8/21/2021 at 4:31 PM, Andrew Gough said:

Here is the 75mm Summicron SL

Mister Gough, you are certainly not contributing toward a practical gear decision making process. Your images posted here are gorgeous. Your SL 35 Summicron @ F8 image posted above is one of the best examples I've seen from this lens at F8 and frankly when you posted this originally on the other forum, this photo contributed to my great desire and commitment to own this lens myself one fine day. So much so that I bought the SL2 to realize this goal 🤩🤪. One fine day has come and gone, and here I am SL2 35, 50 and 90 incoming. But that's it, full stop. I'm stopping with this SL kit no more. Please do not post anymore 75mm Summicron SL images 🤠🤔

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, 6bit said:

@chris_tribbleHow are you getting the camera and lens information in the bottom left hand corner of your images? 

It's called LR Mogrify 2 and is "donationware"  I've used it for years and it's very useful for occassions like this.

https://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrmogrify2.php

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Here is the 50mm SL APO Summicron @ F2 close up

• Like 1

Part of the issue is that these comparisons are so difficult to make in a meaningful way. Here’s a shot with the Sigma 45. I don’t own this lens any more, but it wasn’t bad!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

Mister Gough, you are certainly not contributing toward a practical gear decision making process. Your images posted here are gorgeous. Your SL 35 Summicron @ F8 image posted above is one of the best examples I've seen from this lens at F8 and frankly when you posted this originally on the other forum, this photo contributed to my great desire and commitment to own this lens myself one fine day. So much so that I bought the SL2 to realize this goal 🤩🤪. One fine day has come and gone, and here I am SL2 35, 50 and 90 incoming. But that's it, full stop. I'm stopping with this SL kit no more. Please do not post anymore 75mm Summicron SL images 🤠🤔

So sorry to do (75mm) to you... 😂

Edited by Andrew Gough
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

S1r & 35mm SL Summicron. The 35/75 combo is currently my favourite to carry when not using zooms.

• Like 6