M10M Summilux or Summicron?

HPFM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

my existing equipment is SL2/Q2 and the exiting M10R with 24 Summilux, 50 Summilux and 90 Apo Summicron. Just ordered a used M10Monochrome (only 30 Shots...) from a german dealer and want to use it for Street and Landscape black and white.... My question: an additional 35 mm lens for the M10M  "street" - would you prefer the summicon or is this lens not able to deal with the resolution of the M10M and i have to spend more  money for a Summilux or the new apo summicron (uaaaaa - 7500 Euros...)???

Anyone who uses the 35 summicron with the M10M and is very happy??????

Thanks for your comments!

Frank

I am

have both 35 cron and lux. The cron is a bit smaller and at f2 you have kess vignettes effect compared to lux.

it’s more a personal feeling; I normally have the 35 lux on the M10R and the 50 lux on10 M

vor 28 Minuten schrieb vinicio:

I am

have both 35 cron and lux. The cron is a bit smaller and at f2 you have kess vignettes effect compared to lux.

it’s more a personal feeling; I normally have the 35 lux on the M10R and the 50 lux on10 M

ok - for street-photography i think normaly i don't use it wide open so the difference between the lux and the cron shouldn't be relevant... If the con behaves well with the M10M i think i will prefer the 35 summicron....

Kind regards,

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/20/2021 at 8:21 PM, Jeff S said:

I have both (v.1 Summicron and Summilux FLE) and use both.  And a 1960 35 Summaron f2.8.  All perfect well on the M10 Monochrom; matter of taste. 

Jeff

I have a similar set of 35mm lenses that I use on the M10M.  The Summilux 35 FLE, Ultron 35mm f/2, and the E39 35mm Summaron f/3.5.  All are fantastic lenses to use and I don’t notice a decrease in quality between the 3, only the characters of each.

If funds are available and the OP hвd to pick only one, my vote is for the Summilux.  It’s great for environmental portraits, landscapes, and street. 

I went through a similar analysis. First, the usual disclaimer: virtually every Leica M lens is amazing. If you get what you can afford you will probably not be disappointed. Now that we got that out of the way...

I previously had the latest Cron 35mm and now I have the Lux 35 FLE. My decision to switch was based partly on past attempts to adapt the Cron, first to the Sony A9 and later to the SL2-S. Additionally, I mostly shoot at 35mm, so I think of the 35 Lux FLE as like having two lenses in one. During the day when I am out and about, I stop down and it is a great street lens and on the M10M it is so sharp you can practically cut your finger. When the light goes down or when you want to grab an environmental portrait, you have the ability to open all the way to 1.4 and get some nice bokeh. When used on the SL2-S, I find it actually balances a little better than the Cron. On the M10M it is a little heavier and a larger profile than the Cron, but I'm so used to it now, I can't even imagine it any other way.

In retrospect, I think the Cron on the M10M would have been more than enough, especially stopped down for street photography, but now that I've made the switch, I'm very happy with the Lux FLE and it is without a doubt the best lens I've ever owned for any camera since I was able to hold a camera in my hands. 

One other thing to think about: the M10M and either of these lenses are so darn sharp that I sometimes wish for a vintage lens to get some real character and imperfection. I'm still planning to do that one day soon, just have not yet zeroed in on the focal length I want for the vintage lens. 

On 8/20/2021 at 9:39 PM, HPFM said:

Hi,

my existing equipment is SL2/Q2 and the exiting M10R with 24 Summilux, 50 Summilux and 90 Apo Summicron. Just ordered a used M10Monochrome (only 30 Shots...) from a german dealer and want to use it for Street and Landscape black and white.... My question: an additional 35 mm lens for the M10M  "street" - would you prefer the summicon or is this lens not able to deal with the resolution of the M10M and i have to spend more  money for a Summilux or the new apo summicron (uaaaaa - 7500 Euros...)???

Anyone who uses the 35 summicron with the M10M and is very happy??????

Thanks for your comments!

Frank

Hi Frank,
Congratulations on your new gear. 
All you have to do is enjoy it. Most of the Leica/Leitz lenses are sufficient to support 40MP monochrome with their unique signature and expression even from the 1930s.
I've gone through the path of Summicron, Summilux, and most of the lenses you've mentioned on my M10M. IMHO, your worry is not an issue.

Warm regards,

Hi Erato, 

thanks a lot :-)) I decided to buy the 35 Summilux last monday and are happy!!!!!!! You are right - i enjoy the Leica gear every day and don't think about the bucks.... I will take part a one-week-workshop in the Austrian alps with the german Leica-academy in october and try to improve my skills regarding mountain photography.... The M10M will be with me :-))

Warm regards,

Frank

• Like 1

@HPFM  The 35 Summilux will serve you well.

As for the 35 Summicron vs. 35 Summilux discussion, the Summicron is one f/stop slower; that is the reason for the lower price, not that it produces lesser image quality than the Sumilux. 

With the M10 Monochrom's spectacular high ISO capability, f/1.4 in not exactly a must have in terms of hand held low light shooting.  The 35 Summilux does offer a distinctly different rendering from the 35 Summicron, though.  For many M disciples, this is reason enough to invest the extra cash when buying a 35mm lens.

As for the APO 35 Summicron, it is in another realm in terms of image quality.  If you can withstand its terrifying price (😳) it is one of Leica's "holy grail" M lenses.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1