Problem with my M240. Vertical alignment a bit off.

topspin12

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

It it looks like the vertical alignment mechanism is a bit off. While I understand thta it does not affect focusing, I would like to send it to Leica for a rangefinder adjustment. Anyone know if I need to send it to Germany or if Leica can fix it in the US? Also, how do I start the process?

Thank you in advance. :)

Hello welcome here,

If it's a bit off, how is it 'a bit' ?

I think for this it would be overkill to send to Wetzlar.

Many technicians not far from where you are can adjust it with right tools.

Call around or ask your Leica Dealer.

Even some had done DIY ( when I travelled, I had done on M8/M9, never on newer M though).

3 hours ago, topspin12 said:

Hi,

It it looks like the vertical alignment mechanism is a bit off. While I understand thta it does not affect focusing, I would like to send it to Leica for a rangefinder adjustment. Anyone know if I need to send it to Germany or if Leica can fix it in the US? Also, how do I start the process?

Thank you in advance. :)

🙏

Sorry Ian, I understood reading the OP quickly that was the horizontal discrepency which is common and easy to correct.

I've never tried the vertical patch adjustment needing of course special tool that I don't have.

With my decades use of Leica M, I've never encountered vertical patch dis-alignment.

Hi Topspin, where do you live? I happen to be lucky enough to live close enough to a Leica store and I have dropped off my M240 there for an under-warranty fix. Apparently it gets sent to Allendale New Jersey for whatever is needed. Sometimes cameras go to Germany, but I doubt that is needed in your case.

Otherwise, you can ship it there directly:

https://us.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Repair-Maintenance

Vertical alignment issues might indicate a pretty hard knock, and I know they do the full calibration, CLA, etc., even just for rangefinder adjustments.

Best of luck!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Basically you can fix it yourself; it is a simple adjustment. Or ask a trusted camera repairer. Or visit a Leica dealer for advice. You can drive by Leica USA, they might do it whilst you wait, but sending to Germany is rather over the top.

On 8/20/2021 at 4:46 PM, ianman said:

I did it on my M4-P with a screwdriver IIRC, but I understand that later models need a special tool*. What did you use for the M9?

* see here http://leica.nemeng.com/034b.shtml

The special tool is not so special on the M240 - it is the same 2 mm Allen (hex) key that you use on the roller cam. The link you posted refers to earlier cameras.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2021 at 12:01 AM, jaapv said:

Basically you can fix it yourself; it is a simple adjustment. Or ask a trusted camera repairer. Or visit a Leica dealer for advice. You can drive by Leica USA, they might do it whilst you wait, but sending to Germany is rather over the top.

Thank you Jaap. I ended up sending the camera to the New Jersey service center as I am located in the US.