Can I store multiple "recipes" for VueScan, so I don't need to go through and select all the settings when I change from scanning negatives to prints?

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use Vuescan with an Epson V500 Photo scanner.  I've just updated it to the latest version.  Last year I worked on getting all the settings for scanning B&W film, and then I needed to scan other things.

My question - each of these need a very different collection of settings.  Can I store different "recipes" in the VueScan software, so if I'm scanning film or a photograph, all my settings for that application will still be available?

If I really am back to "ground zero" and need to start over again, is there a list of the preferred settings for B&W film posted someplace in the L-Camera Forum?

I just updated Vuescan to the latest release. I need to scan 35mm B&W negatives from my Leica M3.  I did ask about this last year, but I haven't had any luck finding my old post.

I don't know the answer to my original question, but after doing a search, I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evpjz3s1UPE&t=136s

It's for color negatives, but I think I can change it easily to B&W.

As for saving my settings - until I find a better way, I'll just take photos of the setup screeens with my iPhone.  Not great, but good enough.  I should get my film back from processing early next week.

I just got an email from Ed Hamrick at VueScan Tech Support:

"If you change “Input | Mode” to “Flatbed” and then back to “Transparency”, all your transparency options should be restored."

I'll try that tonight - would be great if it's really this simple.

I'm not sure if this will help others or not, but early this year when I started scanning 35mm negatives, using VueScan, I made a list of all the original settings for the Epson V500 scanner, and another column for how I changed the settings for 35mm film.

I'm not sure these are the "best" settings, but they seemed to work.  I'll attach my Excel file, in case it helps others, and maybe I'll hear back from other people here of better ways to do things.

There are better scanners than the V500, but it was affordable, and seemed adequate for what I wanted to do.  

Any advice would be appreciated.

VueScan Settings.xlsx

I made a quick check of "Ed Hamrick's" suggestion and it seems to be correct, I only did a limited test.  I also saved your settings just in case I should need them in the future.

Thanks for your efforts

Preben

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Steve Ash said:

I do not have access to my scanner now. But I have saved different profiles for each type of film.

How do you save the profiles in VueScan?  That's what my original question was, as I couldn't find a "save" button for all the settings, such that I could re-load them at any time in the future?