Rolling Horizontal "lines" in Live View.

AllNoAll

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just got a Type 246, as my 240 turned out to have fungus in the viewfinder, and I pretty much shoot B&W almost exclusively anyway. In live view I've noticed rolling horizontal "lines" especially when I hold the shutter button half-way down to take a meter reading. It kind of looks like recording an old tube TV with video. Like it is a frame rate issue. Is this normal because of the Monochrome sensor?

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

Hello Allan,

If this behavior arrives only with artificial lighting, and never in daylight,

normal for me.

I never thought to try that. It's nighttime now, but yes this was under artificial room lights today. Just got the camera today. I'll check in daylight tomorrow. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, My LED desk lamp does this.  I can make it better or worse depending on the electronic viewfinder frame rate.  The LED desk lamp must be emitting light at a frequency( not the color temperature)  that conflicts with the electronic viewfinder capture frequency.  This is not a defect of the camera or electronic viewfinder.

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2021 at 2:07 AM, a.noctilux said:

Hello Allan,

If this behavior arrives only with artificial lighting, and never in daylight,

normal for me.

Old fashioned light bulbs don't have this problem. The glowing of the filament flattens the 50/60 Herz change of the electric current. The use of direct current would help, light from a (car) battery.

Edited by jankap

On 8/18/2021 at 3:29 AM, AllNoAll said:

I never thought to try that. It's nighttime now, but yes this was under artificial room lights today. Just got the camera today. I'll check in daylight tomorrow. Thanks!

As jankap wrote above, you may use DC lighting 😉 to avoid this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's what we Engineers call an 'intermediate beat frequency oscillation'.  This just means that the frequency of the LiveView's frame rate is different from the frequency of the light source (which is usually 50 Hz from the ac mains supply) and at times the two frequencies will synchronise (be in tune) and at other times they will not synchronise.  When they're synchronised the picture will be steady but when they're slightly out of synch you'll see the rolling lines.

It's nothing at all to worry about with respect to the picture.  I would hope it wouldn't affect video footage on the SD card but I couldn't say for sure because there could be other variables involved.

Pete.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I think that 60 Hertz in USA may behave differently from 50 Hertz elsewhere ?

A video at different settings would be interesting to know if using for example (M240) 24/25/30 fps can be done in artificial lighting (LED ?) without flickering.

Strange that M246 settings allow only 24 and 25 fps and no 30 fps !

Edited by a.noctilux