Leica MP-240 'auto magnifier setting

LVPhoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pardon me if this topic has been discussed before ' but I cannot get a definitive answer as to why my Leica MP-240 'auto magnifier setting is not working all the time' only once in a while' I have the latest Firmware installed' its supposed to magnify when you turn the lens to focus in live view I also have the OVF,  I contacted Leica USA and all they did was refer me to to have it serviced, Camera is only 3 months old. Thanks kindly. Mike

As above...

You need to remember that you set the magnification that is triggered - and you can set it to “none” as well a x5 or x10 times.

If you think it’s not working it’s probably set to not magnify (ie x0) as it’s also combined with the contrast detection option and isn’t solely  a control for a magnified view.

Trigger it then use the scroll wheel to make it x5 or x10.

If I’m using the edge enhancement in LV I use non-magnified (ie x0) and watch the “shimmer” as the focal plane moves through the scene so I can focus on non-central elements..

pg 180 in the manual

Edited by NigelG

Yes I have tried and it still doesn't work' I tried this a few weeks back by removing the battery and made sure it was fully charged' and it worked but as soon as I turned the camera of it stopped working. Thanks for all your help.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Had you tried to 'reset to factory' state ?

Sometimes this simple thing can help not to send to Leica.

Yes' I have many times but still doesn't work...only once did it make a difference but as soon as I powered it off and on again it worked'..... didn't work after that.

Thank you kindly.

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Are you sure that you have not forgotten to set it using the thumb wheel?

Pressing the front button on the cameras is the only way it will function correctly, then its fine to adjust the magnification with the rear wheel' but I believe it's supposed to work when all the camera setting are correct' and you should be able to turn the magnifier upon turning the focus ring ' I have many Leica lenses and they all do the same thing.

Thank you kindly.

Are you sure you’ve turned on automatic Focus Aid in the setup menu? If it’s not on then yes you have to push the front button. From the manual:

For occasional use:
Press the focus button (3). • The monitor image shows
– the enlarged detail
– the setting dial symbol with the possible enlargement /
reduction directions
– the current zoom factor.
You can change the zoom factor using the setting dial - either 5x or 10x.
Use the focusing ring on the lens (15) to focus on the desired subject details.
For continuous use:
1. In the main camera menu, (see p. 154/248) select Focus Aid (page 3, SETUP section), and
2. in the sub-menu select Automatisch .
• As soon as you turn the focusing ring on the lens (15), the
enlarged detail described above appears. You can return to the normal – i.e. unzoomed – view at any time by tapping the shutter release.
You can change the enlargement as required using the setting dial (30) or call up the unzoomed 1x view of the entire monitor area.

Yes, but if the thumbwheel is in position"0"  there will be no magnification when you ress the front button. You have to press and operate the thumb wheel. Or activate by the focus ring and adjust the thumb wheel

6 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Yes, but if the thumbwheel is in position"0"  there will be no magnification when you ress the front button. You have to press and operate the thumb wheel. Or activate by the focus ring and adjust the thumb wheel

Yes, but my understanding of the OPs latest post was that it wasn’t working without pushing the front button...

21 minutes ago, NigelG said:

Are you sure you’ve turned on automatic Focus Aid in the setup menu? If it’s not on then yes you have to push the front button. From the manual:

For occasional use:
Press the focus button (3). • The monitor image shows
– the enlarged detail
– the setting dial symbol with the possible enlargement /
reduction directions
– the current zoom factor.
You can change the zoom factor using the setting dial - either 5x or 10x.
Use the focusing ring on the lens (15) to focus on the desired subject details.
For continuous use:
1. In the main camera menu, (see p. 154/248) select Focus Aid (page 3, SETUP section), and
2. in the sub-menu select Automatisch .
• As soon as you turn the focusing ring on the lens (15), the
enlarged detail described above appears. You can return to the normal – i.e. unzoomed – view at any time by tapping the shutter release.
You can change the enlargement as required using the setting dial (30) or call up the unzoomed 1x view of the entire monitor area.

Automatic Focus Aid is set. Thank you

35 minutes ago, wojtek_87 said:

The way how I use it is to press the button at the front and set the magnification with the thumbwheel.

I don't see the point of permanent magnification due to loosing the composition when I look at the screen.

Yes I agree with you' I don't use the magnification that much ' but I like to use it with the EVF with my Leica 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux-M Aspherical.

Cheers

3 hours ago, LVPhoto said:

Yes I agree with you' I don't use the magnification that much ' but I like to use it with the EVF with my Leica 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux-M Aspherical.

Cheers

I bet you understood me wrong... the magnification is super helpful for fine adjustement (like in the shot below). But I firstly compose the scene and then adjust the focus so pressing button and magnification is like a natural sequence (I have the same process in my A7iii), however M240 is a bit handicapped with no possibility of changing the location of magnification zone.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, wojtek_87 said:

I bet you understood me wrong... the magnification is super helpful for fine adjustement (like in the shot below). But I firstly compose the scene and then adjust the focus so pressing button and magnification is like a natural sequence (I have the same process in my A7iii), however M240 is a bit handicapped with no possibility of changing the location of magnification zone.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yes' I understood what you where saying.....my initial post was I just wanted to confirmation that my Cameras was working properly' which to me its not, Nice Capture.

Thanks for your help. Cheers

16 hours ago, Gadfly21 said:

Is it a lens which is rangefinder coupled? Is there good contrast in the scene? Perhaps sending it in is the best option, but it will be months before you see your camera.

Best,

I'm not sure what to do!' going to wait a bit'.... But Thanks for your input.

Hi,

To LVPPhoto: I read the tread and do not see anyone, or you, mentioning anything about having your finger doing a half-press on the shutter release button. If you do the half-press then the auto magnification will not work; it only works with the finger off the button. 

The magnification feature is useful at times; I find that doing a rangefinder focus first is the easiest way to make any final EVF focus quick and accurate.

As for the front button, I attached a self-adhesive rubber bumper to make it easier to use. 

Enjoy your camera.

Jean-Michel

1 hour ago, Jean-Michel said:

Hi,

To LVPPhoto: I read the tread and do not see anyone, or you, mentioning anything about having your finger doing a half-press on the shutter release button. If you do the half-press then the auto magnification will not work; it only works with the finger off the button. 

The magnification feature is useful at times; I find that doing a rangefinder focus first is the easiest way to make any final EVF focus quick and accurate.

As for the front button, I attached a self-adhesive rubber bumper to make it easier to use. 

Enjoy your camera.

Jean-Michel

Hi, Thank you...good point....but I do not have my finger on the shutter button. Cheers