Yet Another CL Glitch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok all of a sudden both of my 3rd party batteries have had problems, at the same time my Leica batteries have also been cutting out. if I jiggle the Leica batteries or take them out and reset them they work. I am afraid of trying to clean the contacts in the camera, they look easy to bend. I have cleaned the contacts on the batteries. Interestingly my 3rd party M8 battery isalso having problems. I did buy 2 new Sigma batteries (Leica, Panasonic and Sigma batteries are made in the same factory).  

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

Check also storing temperature of the batteries. I don’t know where you live but in these days here in Italy is very hot and humid (36C 90%H) and without any silica and refreshed storage the battery drain is at the corner. i.e. For CL i had to keep them close in a bag with a generous silica to be able to shoot comfortably (300 shoots per battery… without silica <100 shoots per battery, leica batteries full healthy (3months old)

For about 2 weeks it was hot hear, a little less than what you have mid 30sC with high humidity. That is when I started noticing the problem. It was much less with the Leica batteries. It is now 25C or so and on the hike Monday I still was getting issues. I just bought a new back pack that came with a lot of silicone packs. I put a couple in the small bag I use for batteries and memory cards. Recharging them, in an oven at 90C for an hour?

• Thanks 1

Charger may not operate well at such high  temperatures. It may terminate charging early. Siiica drying pack should be "refreshed" at temps higher than 110C for few hours. Keeping them on open air more than 20 minutes reduces its capacity considerably. Thin walled ziplocs may also permeate water vapor! Packs can absorb  up to 30% of its weight in water.Fine kitchen scale and bunch of packs can show how great scientist you are.

You may also try to cook them in microwave for 5 to 10 minutes. Note that some older microwaves do not like to run empty leading to failure.

Keeping batteries dry helps prevent contacts from corrosion. How do you clean those contacs? Pencil eraser works well for me. Avoid very old ones, they used to contain some Sulphur promoting corrosion.

Jan

Looks like the camera is going down to Leica NJ, just completely cutout yesterday. Changed batteries then let it sit overnight without a battery to reset. Still nothing. At best the LCD is flashing on and off, no EVF. Had it out yesterday, worked for 3 hours, then nothing, It wasn't that hot, around 30C but very humid. A little over a month ago it had a slight fall, less than a foot (30cm, probably around 15 or 20cm) and it has been troublesome since. So I think a check out is necessary.

• 2 weeks later...