I have a 35mm Summilux ASPH; what should be my next lens?

calidre

On 8/15/2021 at 10:36 PM, calidre said:

Hey - thank you in advance for any advice!

I own an M-P (240) and I have the 35mm Summilux ASPH 1.4 for a bit now and I wanted to get a secondary lens.  I enjoy street photography and taking portraits as well.  I wanted to add a secondary lens to my kit but not completely sure on which to get. I've thought about the 50 or 75.  Any thoughts on this? thanks!

I also have the LeicaQ which I love.

I also have a Leica Q2 

My Second Leica is M10 paired to 35mm f2 v4.

For the other focal length, i got the voigtlander 50mm f2 APO and 9cm f4. I prefer to shoot more with 35mm f2 for street photography. 

Now i am wondering about 35mm f1.4 if i do need it.

Also considering 10mm Voigtlander and Leica 21mm f3.4 SEM for wide angle. 

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

@charles tay

if this can help : I don't need lenses (or only one), but I do want them 😇...well some of them !

I have from 12mm to 560mm accumulated over years to mount on my Ms.

Most of time, I use only one.

Yes :)

I accumulated a few M Lenses as well in the last 15 years, particularly a fairly large bunch of 50s

I generally shoot with a 1 lens / 1 body combo and more and more often I don’t even take more than one lens for one event :) It helps me concentrate - the lens is chosen depending on situation and mood…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, didier said:

...I generally shoot with a 1 lens / 1 body combo and more and more often I don’t even take more than one lens for one event :) It helps me concentrate - the lens is chosen depending on situation and mood…

Less gear, more images - the M system lends itself to that school of thought and that way of making images.

In the early days of my photographic journey, I carried way too much camera gear when traveling; this was due to a lack of confidence in my abilities as a photographer.  As I became more experienced and gained more confidence in my abilities, I began to carry less gear.    Part of this change in my approach was due to finally seeing that I wasn't using 75-80% of the gear I was carrying around. 

Another factor was my beginning to shoot with the Leica M system and learning how to get the most out of the M camera and the few M lenses that I had; I think this was more of an influence on my increasingly minimalist approach to making images than anything else. 

The Leica M ethos has infiltrated and influenced my photographic life in a slow and subtle way that changed my thinking and approach to photography for the better.  This is one of the intangibles that the M system brings to the equation that many non-M photographers fail to grasp.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

Less gear, more images - the M system lends itself to that school of thought and that way of making images.

In the early days of my photographic journey, I carried way too much camera gear when traveling; this was due to a lack of confidence in my abilities as a photographer.  As I became more experienced and gained more confidence in my abilities, I began to carry less gear.    Part of this change in my approach was due to finally seeing that I wasn't using 75-80% of the gear I was carrying around. 

Another factor was my beginning to shoot with the Leica M system and learning how to get the most out of the M camera and the few M lenses that I had; I think this was more of an influence on my increasingly minimalist approach to making images than anything else. 

The Leica M ethos has infiltrated and influenced my photographic life in a slow and subtle way that changed my thinking and approach to photography for the better.  This is one of the intangibles that the M system brings to the equation that many non-M photographers fail to grasp.

Pics or it never happened.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/16/2021 at 4:58 AM, FrozenInTime said:

I find the only time 35 + 75mm works for me, is if I'm carrying two cameras.

With a single camera and 35 and 50mm in the bag, there remains a good chance of still getting a good image with the less optimal of the pair attached.

This is also my approach currently .  35mm always on the camera at the moment however I like/prefer to take (environmental) portraits with the 50mm so have 'sometimes' started putting a 50 cron in a pocket also.       I know for many they are too close together but this works for me .  

I have 28mm and 90mm but for me, at least at the moment, they are lenses I use for something specific 

Edited by grahamc

On 8/15/2021 at 4:36 PM, calidre said:

Hey - thank you in advance for any advice!

I own an M-P (240) and I have the 35mm Summilux ASPH 1.4 for a bit now and I wanted to get a secondary lens.  

Key question is why? 

• Like 1

My two lens travel kit is a 35 (various ones depending on film or digital) and a 90f2.8 Elmarit.  I leave the 50 at home.  If I am lazy and don't want to carry two lenses, then a 50 but I am finding more and more that I can do almost everything with just a 35.  However the 90's are so small, it is hard to. leave it at home.  I had a 90f2.8 Tele Elmarit M and it is smaller than my 50f2 Summicron Version V.  And they are cheap.  It was stolen in December and replaced ;with the latest 90f2.8 Elmarit-a bit more expensive and larger but not overly so.  The 90 f2 Summicrons are simply too big and wide open focusing is too critical

OP (if still around) did some correct thinking.

Portraits. 28 and 35 already exist (OK for street). Portraits kinda taken with tele. 75 might be too narrow. 50 is about right. But if portraits has to be H&S, then tele.

Q has 50mm crop mode. Easy to check if 50 is OK or longer tele is needed.

On 8/27/2021 at 9:33 PM, Ko.Fe. said:

OP (if still around)…

Funny you bring that up.  OP only has a few posts since joining forum, including the initiation of two topics.  He disappeared after starting this one, and did the same on his other one…

Jeff

• 3 months later...