Fotodiox LTM Adapter Scratched My Camera's Lens Mount

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there. Couple of days ago I decided to try some LTM glass on my Leica MP and bought a new Fotodiox 50/75 adapter. While it worked perfectly I was surprised and mostly heart broken to see that the mid line of the lens mount had been scratched on my beloved camera which I saved for such a long time to buy. The scratch is superficial as far as I can see and on the 4,5,6 and 7 o'clock directions (The photo which I share on here doesn't do them justice. They are more visible than what looks like here). I didn't have time to develop my film so I cannot say if it damaged the mount on funtional level. But I want to learn your experiences with similar situations if you had any. I read that these things can happen even when you use native lenses on cameras but as far as I know for the last 9 months my Voigtlander 35mm f/2 Ultron didn't damage or let alone scratch the lens mount on my MP. I reattached my Voigtlander after experiencing this situation and shooting another roll of film with it to see if there is any problem. Is there a possibility that I damaged my camera functionally? Can my Voigtlander be attached to the lens mount securely and without further damage either to the lens mount or the lens itself? What are you thoughts on Fotodiox adapters? The adapter that I bought seems that it is made of a material that is not similar to the material that Leica uses on its mount. I would be grateful to read your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

14 minutes ago, frame-it said:

I use Rayqual Adapters for all my LTM needs :)

Never seen any scratches.

I hadn't heard about this brand before you wrote about it. I will check them out but for now I just don't want to buy another adapter.

14 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Had you tried to remove this with an eraser for example, or just rub with a tissu ?

MP lens mount made of hard metal is unlikely easily scratched.

I tried to clean it with a 100% cotton q-tip. Then I tried to clean the mount with a microfiber cloth, used for eyeglass cleaning. Both of them did not work. I will try the eraser method when I get back home. But I guess they are real scratches and not smudges. Thanks for the advice.

To be certain, I'd pass one finger on the 'scratch', then forget about it to be happy photog. again.

You are not lucky with those 'scratches',

@Keops

In my view, I live with scratches on the M lens mounts * for long, having changed thousands times lenses on M2/3/4/5/6.

In my thousands of pics, I hardly noticed the negative effects on results.

* never notice on the two MP that I used though

a couple of minutes back, having read your post, I checked the two mounts of my last M, I saw not a small trace of scratch

( if I was not aware of changing in soft metal in Leica lens mount and to be certain not writing false news )

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

To be certain, I'd pass one finger on the 'scratch', then forget about it to be happy photog. again.

You are not lucky with those 'scratches',

@Keops

In my view, I live with scratches on the M lens mounts * for long, having changed thousands times lenses on M2/3/4/5/6.

In my thousands of pics, I hardly noticed the negative effects on results.

* never notice on the two MP that I used though

a couple of minutes back, having read your post, I checked the two mounts of my last M, I saw not a small trace of scratch

( if I was not aware of changing in soft metal in Leica lens mount and to be certain not writing false news )

Well if the scratches on the lens mount of your Leicas do not affect the functionality of the cameras I can say that I am somewsht relieved. The fact that my camera will get scratched through use is the reason why I bought my Leica in black paint finish. But I was alarmed to see those scratches on such an important part of my camera. Still I hope that those scratches are not too deep and can be cleaned because I saved so long to buy it. It is the most personal gift I bought for myself. I would like to read other comments and similiar experiences from gentleman and ladies of this fine forum :)

7 hours ago, Keops said:

Hi there. Couple of days ago I decided to try some LTM glass on my Leica MP and bought a new Fotodiox 50/75 adapter. While it worked perfectly I was surprised and mostly heart broken to see that the mid line of the lens mount had been scratched on my beloved camera which I saved for such a long time to buy. The scratch is superficial as far as I can see and on the 4,5,6 and 7 o'clock directions (The photo which I share on here doesn't do them justice. They are more visible than what looks like here). I didn't have time to develop my film so I cannot say if it damaged the mount on funtional level. But I want to learn your experiences with similar situations if you had any. I read that these things can happen even when you use native lenses on cameras but as far as I know for the last 9 months my Voigtlander 35mm f/2 Ultron didn't damage or let alone scratch the lens mount on my MP. I reattached my Voigtlander after experiencing this situation and shooting another roll of film with it to see if there is any problem. Is there a possibility that I damaged my camera functionally? Can my Voigtlander be attached to the lens mount securely and without further damage either to the lens mount or the lens itself? What are you thoughts on Fotodiox adapters? The adapter that I bought seems that it is made of a material that is not similar to the material that Leica uses on its mount. I would be grateful to read your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately the only way your new camera will remain scratchless is if you keep it in a display cabinet and don't use it or touch it, just look at it. In use any tool will patina, it doesn't affect it's use.

• Like 1

🤑 I understood why Leitz made those adapters from rectified brass at the M side.

I used some cheaper aluminium (or other non-documented alloy) adapters, years ago with some flaws like not exactly 1.00mm thick, soft metal which could stick (not removable from the M), etc.

Now I only use old Leitz or newer Voigtlander (also brass!) LTM-M adapters.

Those are not easy to find 'cheap' 🤑 but may be much better choices.

some references for further search

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Topsy said:

Unfortunately the only way your new camera will remain scratchless is if you keep it in a display cabinet and don't use it or touch it, just look at it. In use any tool will patina, it doesn't affect it's use.

I am totally fine with it getting scratches with use. My concern was about the possibility of interrupting the functionality of one of the most important parts of the camera. As far as I understand it would not affect the overall usage :)

2 hours ago, spydrxx said:

I'd check the adapter to determine what part of the tooling caused the scratch, then use some 1000 grit paper used for auto detailing to smooth it so you don't get any more scratches from the adapter. Not a big deal.

Thank you for the suggestion. But I think I will just buy an adapter which is made of brass in the future when I want to use an LTM lens again :)

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

🤑 I understood why Leitz made those adapters from rectified brass at the M side.

I used some cheaper aluminium (or other non-documented alloy) adapters, years ago with some flaws like not exactly 1.00mm thick, soft metal which could stick (not removable from the M), etc.

Now I only use old Leitz or newer Voigtlander (also brass!) LTM-M adapters.

Those are not easy to find 'cheap' 🤑 but may be much better choices.

some references for further search

Yes, they are out of my reach unfortunately :( A modern adapter that is made of brass would be way to go for me.

1 hour ago, bayernfan said:

fotodiox is a budget accessory brand. it only took me a single purchase to figure that out.  

I’ve been very satisfied with K&F adapters.  Made in China but to much higher standards than brands like fotodiox. 

You can also search for used Leitz and Voigtlander adapters which are your safest bet. 

Interestingly K&F adaptors are cheaper than Fotodiox. They are probably produced in the same plant in China.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bayernfan said:

fotodiox is a budget accessory brand. it only took me a single purchase to figure that out.  

I’ve been very satisfied with K&F adapters.  Made in China but to much higher standards than brands like fotodiox. 

You can also search for used Leitz and Voigtlander adapters which are your safest bet. 

You are definetly right. It was my first and last purchase as well. I won't try my luck again. I think I will hunt for a Leica adapter. And before my camera's guarantee expires I will send it to Leica to have an overhaul and request the lens mount to be changed. I would also request for the viewfinder to be cleaned for dust.

The Rayqual adapters are plated brass, and are my choice of new production. However, Rayqual (like the other makes discussed) leaves the flange contact surface plated, so the hard plating rubs against the camera flange. Leitz and Voigtlander both machined the plating off the mating surface so the softer brass rubbed against the camera flange. Brass also has more lubricity than chrome plating. Also, machining off the plating could allow tighter thickness tolerance due to variations in plating thickness.

• Like 2

Thera are two ways to get an accurate adapter, machine one in aluminium or make one in brass, plate it, then machine the plating back to tolerances leaving a brass surface. Neither one or the other is 'better' if done accurately. But like a lot of adapters from LTM to M simple flange adapters or M mount to Nikon etc. don't be fooled by the different company names, there aren't that many companies in China doing the same thing, they all come from the same factory and spec'd and badged by whoever wants to make a name for themselves. 

• Like 2