Vote on M11-D features

Datsch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

29 minutes ago, pippy said:

As Kim Dahl said above that's exactly what the M-D Typ-262 is. Effectively it is an M6 TTL which shoots DNG frames instead of Film.

You really should try one out for yourself if you can find one; it will be a revelation.

Philip.

I love the look of the M10-D. I hope the M11-D will inherit that look, but maybe take one step back technically and function more like the M-D 262.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 3

It's a matter of taste, of course.  But it is very little it is bigger.  During use  I do not notice it.  Maybe because there is no screen that takes up space.  Of course I would like to have the latest sensor technology in the camera.  But otherwise I simply can not wish for more.  That said, an MD and M6 is not my only cameras. MD is pure pleasure.  When I am “at work” I use other brands.  With fast autofocus, etc. But my Leica MD teaches me to be a better photographer.  That's MD's job for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steven said:

A bit thicker. Which is why I'm not getting it 

You could always strip-off the leatherette from the M-D, Steven; That would solve the issue!......:)......

For some reason I thought you did have an M-D Typ-262 for a time but I might be 'mis-remembering' something? It's funny now going to the M2 because it feels too skinny. As for the Barnacks!...

Seriously though; an M11 with the body-thickness of the M10 and all of the features of the M-D reinstated? In Black-Paint or Silver-Chrome? I'd buy one. Or other.

Philip.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Re-reading the thread rather than just the ‘poll’ questions I think I would have:

• M10 body chassis but with iso dial on back like M60/262
  • Off/On/Bluetooth (or WiFi) collar switch around release
  • M10 iso dial repurposed as exposure compensation (thus visible when camera off) or removed
  • Visoflex-compatible body and faux advance thumb rest
  • Rear thumb wheel for setting date/time etc and zoom magnification with visoflex 
  • Silver chrome option with silver chrome visoflex...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's another very important feature request (to me). 

I don't want to see the amount of photos I can take in the viewfinder. I have a 256gb card, and I don't own enough batteries to fill it up in a day. Being constantly reminded that I still have the capacity for 999+ photos is utterly useless. 

Insead, I would like to be changed for ISO info. I use the M10D a lot in Auto ISO when shooting street photography from the hip. But shutter speed is not auto, and it would be useful for me t have a quick look at which ISO value the camera chooses in Auto ISO mode, so that I can adjust my shutter speeds accordingly. 

Cheers to another feature request that will never be answered by Leica. 

4 hours ago, Steven said:

One thing I would love, although I know it will sound like blasphemy here, is the option to review photos via the visoflex. 

Not blasphemy Steven, it's a sensible idea for those who would wish to check shot images and for those who don't mind using a Visoflex on an otherwise "clean" digital camera. A hell of a lot better an idea than having to carry along a mobile phone and rely on the dreadful Fotos App.

36 minutes ago, petermullett said:

Not blasphemy Steven, it's a sensible idea for those who would wish to check shot images and for those who don't mind using a Visoflex on an otherwise "clean" digital camera. A hell of a lot better an idea than having to carry along a mobile phone and rely on the dreadful Fotos App.

In my case, I would use it 90% of the time without the visoflex. But sometimes, if I'm going on an important assignment, having a visoflex to check exposure and review images would be a great added bonus, would be easier that using the app, and would make that camera even more versatile for it. Also, those who don't like the idea don't have to buy the visoflex ! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steven said:

In my case, I would use it 90% of the time without the visoflex. But sometimes, if I'm going on an important assignment, having a visoflex to check exposure and review images would be a great added bonus, would be easier that using the app, and would make that camera even more versatile for it. Also, those who don't like the idea don't have to buy the visoflex ! 

Right, me too, more than 90% because although I have a VisoFlex 020 I've never used it for real, just tested it out on the M10's I own........I don't like using the M's with such a wart on them, also as I've said too many times here I don't like EVF's anyway. Maybe the rumoured new VisoFlex will be more attractive to some, but I'll not be temped to upgrade seeing I don't use the thing anyway. Wasted another more than a few hundred Leica Euros, I should sell it in fact.

9 hours ago, petermullett said:

Right, me too, more than 90% because although I have a VisoFlex 020 I've never used it for real, just tested it out on the M10's I own........I don't like using the M's with such a wart on them, also as I've said too many times here I don't like EVF's anyway. Maybe the rumoured new VisoFlex will be more attractive to some, but I'll not be temped to upgrade seeing I don't use the thing anyway. Wasted another more than a few hundred Leica Euros, I should sell it in fact.

I felt that way, too, until I learned that I could set up my M10-D to write B&W JPEGs, along with DNGs... Once set, the image in the EVF appears is in B&W! It's a quite lovely and useful monochrome preview.

Here's my exact process:

When I see a potential shot, I half-press the shutter; this gets the camera out of sleep mode, and 'boots up' the EVF. While that's happening, I put the RF window up to my eye and use the OVF for focusing and initial framing, as usual.

If I decided I like what I see, then I shift my eye up to the EVF to see how it will look in B&W. I often end up adjusting framing at this point -- somehow I do better at detecting issues with perspective in this mode rather than through the rangefinder. If needed, I take a quick glance at the histogram and other info, and then click the shutter.

Note that I *don't* use the EVF for focus. Me & focus-peaking just don't get along, and I still seem to be okay at traditional RF focusing.

Once in Lightroom, I decide whether or not I want the image in monochrome (about 75% of the time) or color.

This process has resulted in *notably* better images for me.

• Like 1

I am fully in line with most proposals : keep the lever, on/off button on release. However,  ability to get continuous or at least timer without going through the app, even with a combination of existing buttons on front or top plate would be nice (i don't want more buttons definitely)... I use it 0,1% of the time, but it is really annoying to use the app to get the timer when you are in that situation. you want to make a family pic with the timer, and you just wait for this ******* wifi to start... 

I would keep the wifi / fotos app because it is nice to check sometimes your pictures after a few days, when you are on vacation without access to a computer. It should not take 30s to start the wifi though... 

To me the M10-D is one the most beautiful cameras ever made... after so many digital M's : enough megapixels, enough iso capabilities, good viewfinder; other than that, I don't really need anything more. The camera is wonderful and is a joy to use; with this camera you realise you have the same pleasure taking pictures as watching them afterwards... Same feeling as using a nice mechanical hasselblad or M. Never had this feeling with any other digital camera !

I have been looking for a second one to stop changing lenses during vacations, never found one in months. If somebody is selling one, I would be happy to discuss it !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, NigelG said:

Re-reading the thread rather than just the ‘poll’ questions I think I would have:

• M10 body chassis but with iso dial on back like M60/262
  • Off/On/Bluetooth (or WiFi) collar switch around release
  • M10 iso dial repurposed as exposure compensation (thus visible when camera off) or removed
  • Visoflex-compatible body and faux advance thumb rest
  • Rear thumb wheel for setting date/time etc and zoom magnification with visoflex 
  • Silver chrome option with silver chrome visoflex...

With workable WiFi

9 hours ago, karrox1 said:

I am fully in line with most proposals : keep the lever, on/off button on release. However,  ability to get continuous or at least timer without going through the app, even with a combination of existing buttons on front or top plate would be nice (i don't want more buttons definitely)... I use it 0,1% of the time, but it is really annoying to use the app to get the timer when you are in that situation. you want to make a family pic with the timer, and you just wait for this ******* wifi to start... 

I would keep the wifi / fotos app because it is nice to check sometimes your pictures after a few days, when you are on vacation without access to a computer. It should not take 30s to start the wifi though... 

To me the M10-D is one the most beautiful cameras ever made... after so many digital M's : enough megapixels, enough iso capabilities, good viewfinder; other than that, I don't really need anything more. The camera is wonderful and is a joy to use; with this camera you realise you have the same pleasure taking pictures as watching them afterwards... Same feeling as using a nice mechanical hasselblad or M. Never had this feeling with any other digital camera !

I have been looking for a second one to stop changing lenses during vacations, never found one in months. If somebody is selling one, I would be happy to discuss it !

I took me long to find my M10D than it did to find my MP Titane or Kyoto, which are both kind of unicorns in the first place. 
Good luck. 

I REALLY want inbody image stabilisation. Everything else is fluff but I want a sharp image in low light/low shutter speed situations. And no high ISO is not always the answer.

While I am on a rant, 3rd party flash support so we can have off camera high speed flash sync with studio type flash units. Godox, I am looking at you!

Just curious...........with these type of Forum pages, all of this asking for new features, design elements and so on with the next release of Leica cameras, has anyone ever been aware that Leica has paid any attention to what was asked for? Can't say that I have, at least not for anything I wanted anyway.