Vote on M11-D features

Datsch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M11 is no doubt set in stone by now, but vote here for what you want on the M11-D which may yet be finalised.

Hopefully this will be read by Leica.

Assume that the basic features of the M11 can't be changed, including sensor resolution, viewfinder, etc.

This list is based on comments I have found on various threads about M-D, M60, and M10-D. Feel free to add you own items.

Copy and paste the list below and put a simple YES or NO on each item you care about. You can leave some blank if you are neutral on them.

If you like, add asterixes to items you are particularly keen on.

YES/NO
Review of images remaining after each shot    
Faux film advance lever    / thumbrest            
On/off on shutter button            
ISO dial on back                
Wifi/fotos                    
Thumbwheel and bump
USB-C port
Frameline lever
Continuous mode
Self Timer mode
Black paint
Silver chrome
Black chrome
Visoflex capable
GPS
M11-D-M monochrom version

Edited by Datsch

I get to vote too .. 🙂

Review of images remaining after each shot    NO*
Faux film advance lever    / thumbrest                 NO
On/off on shutter button                                         YES
ISO dial on back                                                         YES
Wifi/fotos                                                                    NO       
Thumbwheel and bump
USB-C port                                                                  NO
Frameline lever                                                           NO
Continuous mode                    
Self Timer mode                                                       YES
Black paint                                                                  YES
Silver chrome
Black chrome
Visoflex capable
GPS                                                                                 NO                                                        

YES/NO
Faux film advance lever    / thumbrest                                       YES
On/off on shutter button                                                              YES
ISO dial on back                                                                              YES*
Wifi/fotos                                          
Thumbwheel and bump                                                                NO
USB-C port
Frameline lever                                                                                YES
Continuous mode                                                                           YES
Self Timer mode                                                                               YES
Black paint
Silver chrome                                                                                  YES*
Black chrome
Visoflex capable                                                                              YES
GPS

Edited by mike3996

6 hours ago, Datsch said:

YES/NO
On/off on shutter button            
ISO dial on back                
Wifi/fotos                    
Thumbwheel and bump
USB-C port
Frameline lever
Continuous mode
Self Timer mode
Black paint
Silver chrome
Black chrome
Visoflex capable
GPS

YES/NO
Review of images remaining after each shot          NO    
Faux film advance lever    / thumbrest             YES
On/off on shutter button                           YES
ISO dial on back                                   YES
Wifi/fotos                                         YES
Thumbwheel and bump                                 NO
USB-C port                                         YES
Frameline lever                                    YES
Continuous mode                                     NO
Self Timer mode                                    YES
Black paint                                        YES
Silver chrome                                      YES
Black chrome                                       YES
Visoflex capable                                   YES
GPS                                                 NO
M11-D-M monochrom version                   WON'T HAPPEN 😕

Review of images remaining after each shot             NO
Faux film advance lever    / thumbrest                       YES
On/off on shutter button                                              YES
ISO dial on back                                                             YES
Wifi/fotos                                                                         NO
Thumbwheel and bump                                                ONLY IF IT HAS  ASSIGNABLE USES
USB-C port                                                                       NO
Frameline lever                                                               NO
Continuous mode                                                           NO
Self Timer mode                                                             NO
Black paint                                                                     YES
Silver chrome                                                                 YES
Black chrome                                                                 YES
Visoflex capable                                                             NO
GPS                                                                                   NO
M11-D-M monochrom version                                    IF AS ABOVE I'D BUY IT BEFORE FOOD

2 hours ago, petermullett said:

Review of images remaining after each shot             NO
ISO dial on back                                                             YES
Wifi/fotos                                                                         NO
Thumbwheel and bump                                                ONLY IF IT HAS  ASSIGNABLE USES
USB-C port                                                                       NO
Frameline lever                                                               NO
Black paint                                                                     YES
Silver chrome                                                                 YES
Black chrome                                                                 YES
GPS                                                                                   NO
M11-D-M monochrom version                                    IF AS ABOVE I'D BUY IT BEFORE FOOD

+1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, petermullett said:

That's nicely put. I like the wheel for exp comp on the M-D but I imagine I would be unsatisfied with it as per the M10-D where it appears to do very little. 

Thanks for all your input. Us -Ders are a small but enthusiastic crowd ...

Re: Black Paint/ Silver Chrome / Black Chrome I think I should have worded that as which one would you have --  rather than all three, as it's unlikely to be offered in 3 variants ...? Unless people are saying they'd have one of each ... ? 😄

I think the people who have actually held for a while or owned an M10-D seem to be all for the thumb-lever-thing, whilst everyone else can't see the benefit ... I'm just not keen as a left-eye shooter as it would poke me in the eye ...

There are functional reasons for a number of the options which flow on from each other - specifically, the compatibility with the EVF and Fotos.

So, the base model, M10 body, baseplate or no baseplate, sensor, processor etc already determined for the M11.  So, just ISO; the shutter dial and shutter release, on/off ring; lens release; nothing else on the camera - no hotshoe; no Fn button; no front button; no thumbwheel. 

So these questions are relevant:

YES/NO

• Review of images remaining after each shot    battery % and remaining shots, and exposure arrows (I’d like two arrows in each dirrection)
  • Faux film advance lever    / thumbrest            Yes
  • On/off on shutter button                                    Yes
  • ISO dial on back        I like the M10 design - if the ISO goes back onto the rear, what goes on the topdeck?  A plain topdeck is very ugly.
  • USB-C port.                                    Yes (hidden somewhere - not on the base). With software, this could cover much of what is currently the Fotos App
  • Frameline lever.                                                    No
  • Continuous mode.                                               No
  • Self Timer mode.                                                 No
  • Black paint.                                                           Yes
  • Silver chrome.                                                      No
  • Black chrome.                                                      No
  • M11-D-M monochrom version.                         Yes

With this base model (much like the M60), there’s only centre weighted metering, auto-white balance, no remote triggering (save with the USB-C), no continuous, and no self timer.  The camera would really only be good with 28-90 focal lengths, no macro, no adapted R lenses.

I’d be happy with this camera.  I’d like the design to be nicely resolved, so it didn’t look odd - some of the special editions had nice ideas to break up what could look like a lot of blank real estate.

If Wifi/fotos is to be included - useful for remote triggering, self timer and reviewing images at your leisure; uploading firmware; downloading images etc (these are all possible with other systems):

• Thumbwheel and bump       Perhaps not in its current iteration, but the thumbwheel, Fn button and front button enable the selection of different metering modes, and moving the magnification point for when you enlarge through the EVF - more accurate than focus and recompose.  Leica had considered a D control button (not so nice) for the M10-D.  

EVF added?

• Visoflex capable. The much of what is discussed above (thumbwell etc) would make sense.
  • GPS

This all rather moves away from what was originally conceived with the M60.  As I like the option of Fotos (or USB-C), and sometimes use the EVF, it would take a bit to move me from the current M10-D.  But, if the base model above was released as an M11-D, then I might consider it.  It would go well with my M-A (black paint) and my ageing Monochrom (silver chrome).  I do have an Elmar 135/4, but tend to only use 21-75 focal lengths, and I don’t use the macro adapter that often.

My $0.02

On 8/14/2021 at 8:58 AM, Datsch said:

The M11 is no doubt set in stone by now, but vote here for what you want on the M11-D which may yet be finalised.

Assume that the basic features of the M11 can't be changed, including sensor resolution, viewfinder, etc.

This list is based on comments I have found on various threads about M-D, M60, and M10-D. Feel free to add you own items.

Copy and paste the list below and put a simple YES or NO on each item you care about. You can leave some blank if you are neutral on them.

YES/NO
Review of images remaining after each shot        NO

Faux film advance lever    / thumbrest     ?       
On/off on shutter button       YES     
ISO dial on back           YES !!!!!!!    
Wifi/fotos                 NO   
Thumbwheel and bump     NO
USB-C port     NO
Frameline lever    YES
Continuous mode     NO
Self Timer mode      NO

Black paint     YES !!!!

Silver chrome    OK ?
Black chrome    OK ? 
Visoflex capable    YES !! New noctilux 
GPS YES
M11-D-M monochrom version   YES

On 8/14/2021 at 7:58 AM, Datsch said:

YES/NO

Review of images remaining after each shot : No.
Faux film advance lever    / thumbrest : Don't mind.
On/off on shutter button : Yes.                          
ISO dial on back : Yes.              
Wifi/fotos : No.        
Thumbwheel and bump : No.
USB-C port : No.
Frameline lever : Don't mind.
Continuous mode : No.
Self Timer mode : Yes.
Black paint : Yes.
Silver chrome : Yes.
Black chrome : Yes.
Visoflex capable : No.
GPS : No.
M11-D-M monochrom version : Yes.

Philip.

12 hours ago, Datsch said:

Re: Black Paint/ Silver Chrome / Black Chrome I think I should have worded that as which one would you have --  rather than all three, as it's unlikely to be offered in 3 variants ...?

Whilst it's unreasonable to expect all three finishes you mention I can't see why Leica wouldn't offer the camera in at least two of the above as they have done so for most Digi-M cameras through the years. Both Black Lacquer (Paint) and Silver-Chrome came as standard-finish versions on the likes of the M8.2 / M9-P and there were some S-Chrome M Monochromes made etc. In addition they have also used finishes such as Steel-Grey, Anthracite and Black-Chrome on regular production models.

My guess is that initially there will be Black-Chrome and Silver-Chrome with Black-Paint being introduced for a considerably more expensive version such as we've seen recently with the M10-R B-P.

Philip.

Review of images remaining after each shot            YES
Wi-Fi/Leica FOTOS                                                         NO
Frameline lever                                                               YES
M11-D-M monochrom version                                    YES

vor 4 Stunden schrieb CosmoM3:

Review of images remaining after each shot            YES
Wi-Fi/Leica FOTOS                                                         NO
Frameline lever                                                               YES
M11-D-M monochrom version                                    YES

I just agree fully..

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 8:58 AM, Datsch said:

YES/NO
On/off on shutter button            
ISO dial on back                
Wifi/fotos                    
Thumbwheel and bump
USB-C port
Frameline lever
Continuous mode
Self Timer mode
Black paint
Silver chrome
Black chrome
Visoflex capable
GPS

Review of images remaining after each shot    NO
Faux film advance lever    / thumbrest    YESSSSSSSSSSSSS        
On/off on shutter button      YES      
ISO dial on back     YES           
Wifi/fotos    NOOOOOO                
Thumbwheel and bump YES WITH CUSTOMIZATION 
USB-C port NO
Frameline lever YES
Continuous mode NO
Self Timer mode NO
Black paint YES
Silver chrome YES
Black chrome YES
Visoflex capable YES
GPS WHATEVER
M11-D-M monochrom version YES

vor 35 Minuten schrieb Steven:

Oh and if they could make it in Olive with silver levers too, while we’re at it 😂 😉 

I think there is some valid request hidden: 

they should have an á la Carte program revived/established for the M11 (and for others)

Edited by Helge

By the way guys, I don’t mean to be a party pooper, but as I’ve said already on the Breaking News thread, the feedback I got so far is that this moment the D line is at the very bottom of the priority list for Leica (to not say abandoned). 

In the next years, the priorities will be very different. sorry to disappoint, but I don’t think we’ll be seeing an M11D at all. 

doesn’t stop from collectively dreaming about it, though ! 

1 hour ago, Steven said:

By the way guys, I don’t mean to be a party pooper, but as I’ve said already on the Breaking News thread, the feedback I got so far is that this moment the D line is at the very bottom of the priority list for Leica (to not say abandoned). 

In the next years, the priorities will be very different. sorry to disappoint, but I don’t think we’ll be seeing an M11D at all. 

Kind of expected that. Too bad. I’ll hold on to my m10-d till it dies and/or get a film m. 

On 8/16/2021 at 11:41 AM, Steven said:

If a lot of people start to use black duct tape on the back of their camera's, on that highly polished Gorilla Glass, and it becomes a fad, yes, maybe there will be some lights being turned on. On the M8 I had turned off the display. Better for concentration, and less obtrusive. Have that not in my current body. 

• [ I strangely have seen several M10-D's  for resale where they had been sent to Solms for recalibration; so the users  as I see it were not happy with losing the comfort of the standard shoot and see if I missed it option. ]