Buying a used Typ 262 + 35mm Summarit

magnolia

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am going to buy a used Typ 262 + 35mm Summarit next week. Anything I should check before laying down the cash? I’m oddly really looking forward to having to manually focus my camera. I have enjoyed doing it on my Q2 and I’m sure the experience will only be more challenging and entertaining on the Typ 262. 

Welcome Magnolia,

I took a break to be in your position...

I see nothing !

As happy user of M262 + Summarit-M 2.5/35mm, I see none (never have anything to complain).

As usual, if the combo is from reputable shop with warranty, only using the combo for a while may point to flaws if exist.

I hope that the combo is flawless for years to come.

I bought my M262 new early 2016, so nothing wrong since then. Finger crossed 🤞.

1 hour ago, cboy said:

To make it easier for focusing, since there no live view on the m262, id recommend to get an magnifier eyepiece of at least 1.25x to get 0.85 magnification.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try to track one down. The camera and lens are on my local Craigslist. Not that that’s necessarily a problem - I’ve bought and sold many things there over the years. The only problem is I can’t get it until next week! I’m pretty impatient. 😂 

Cboy is correct.

My remarks as long time fan of x1.25/x1.4.

In my view, I'd not use with the combo, M262+35mm, any VF magnifier:

- just tried out a while to see that the 35mm framelines hardly visible with x1.25

- the focussing in my M262 is as accurate with and without the x1.25, distance taking at 1m to about 10m, comparing with/without x1.25

largely in the dof scales of f/2.5 mark (halfway of f/4 to be precise)

Apparently I'm a contrarian.

I use both a 75mm and a 35mm lens with my M 262.   I have a 1.25 magnifier.   I only use the magnifier with the 75mm lens.  I find it hard to see the 35mm frame lines with the 1.25 magnifier installed. Perhaps that's because I wear glasses.

Edit: OK, so not as contrary as I thought. My comments are in line with those of a.noctilux.

Edited by marchyman

On 8/12/2021 at 1:39 PM, magnolia said:

The camera and lens are on my local Craigslist.

As this will be a substantial purchase, make sure it's all legit and be aware that there will be no warranty offered.

Enjoy your new camera when you get it!

24 minutes ago, andybarton said:

As this will be a substantial purchase, make sure it's all legit and be aware that there will be no warranty offered.

Enjoy your new camera when you get it!

Words of wisdom. I think it's too old to have any warranty left anyway. Do the 262 or Summarit have any known issues I should watch out for/check?

13 minutes ago, magnolia said:

Words of wisdom. I think it's too old to have any warranty left anyway. Do the 262 or Summarit have any known issues I should watch out for/check?

No; not really.

Do the items come with all their original 'bits'? Battery charger; all leads; strap; body-cap; lens-hood; front- and rear lens caps; case/pouch; boxes etc?

In case you are unaware; in 'LeicaWorld' having the original boxes and so on can add a fair sum of money to any potential sale in the future so if they do come with 'stuff' it is worth keeping it all somewhere safe.

Have a great time when the things arrive!

Philip.

Edited by pippy

9 hours ago, pippy said:

No; not really.

Do the items come with all their original 'bits'? Battery charger; all leads; strap; body-cap; lens-hood; front- and rear lens caps; case/pouch; boxes etc?

In case you are unaware; in 'LeicaWorld' having the original boxes and so on can add a fair sum of money to any potential sale in the future so if they do come with 'stuff' it is worth keeping it all somewhere safe.

Have a great time when the things arrive!

Philip.

It comes with the boxes and accessories.  I come from the watch and audiophile worlds so I know all too well the value of all that stuff. 

That is very good things that the M262 comes with boxes and accessories.

Meaning that the seller is correct and saving you from chasing those you'll need.

I can add that when you have the kit, just take some pictures around, then have a close look on big screen if the images are correct.

Using the M262 is simple, however you may need to read the user's manual once.

Only then you can see if something goes wrong.