Cape Horn Lighthouse

war

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Southernmost headland of the Tierra del Fuego archipelago

Q

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, michali said:

Wonderful! 

Sailed out of Ushuaia & past Cape Horn on the way to Antarctica in 2011, the wildest seas I've ever encountered.....

Thanks.  On an unusually calm day we were able to leave the ship in a Zodiac  and climb the 170 scary wet stairs to the top. We left after about 2 hours when the wind picked up, it started to rain and the sea started churning. It became very dangerous going down the stairs, getting back into the wildly lurching panga and back onto the pitching ship. In my photos, you can see the storm coming, what were we thinking. An experience not to be forgotten.

• Thanks 2

Hi mike and war,

I missed out seeing Cape Horn on my birthday in 2002, after the ship hit an underwater pinnacle in the Antarctica...had to go back to Ushuaia for underwater repairs...ship taking water.

Point is, i was sad to miss this sighting as i was a keen sailor and of course the Horn is legendary.

Have either of you got some more pics?...this and another thread-post, are fantastic.

All best Dave S

Edited by david strachan

On 8/10/2021 at 7:03 PM, david strachan said:

Hi mike and war,

I missed out seeing Cape Horn on my birthday in 2002, after the ship hit an underwater pinnacle in the Antarctica...had to go back to Ushuaia for underwater repairs...ship taking water.

Point is, i was sad to miss this sighting as i was a keen sailor and of course the Horn is legendary.

Have either of you got some more pics?...this and another thread-post, are fantastic.

All best Dave S

Sorry you missed the experience,  but it sounds like you had quite an adventure. Extremely bad place to take on water.  Go back, it's most memorable.

Yes, I have more photos to post. I usually post older ones and film in Landscape and Travel and B&W, and newer ones in Q, Q2 threads. Thanks for lookng.

Regards, Wally

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/11/2021 at 7:47 AM, stuny said:

Quite lovely, and it's clear from this post, and others by you, that you've spent a lot of time in Latin America, a significant amount coastal since your second reference to the Zodiac was "panga."

Thank you. It's true I do spend a very lot of time there, mostly in Ecuador.  You're right,  what we refer to as a Zodiac is called a Panga in some parts of S.A.. Confusing because most would understand a Panga as a fishing boat made from rigid material. 

Regards, Wally