Focus problems, me or the Q2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been in this business most of my life, and with most systems, there are hits, and there are misses.  It seems that i am seeing a lot of the misses with my Q2.  Probably me, (I'm in my 70's, eyesight isn't what it used to be!) but in the past, I have had several cameras that needed to be sent in for focus checks and adjustment.  Is this a "thing" with the Q' cameras?

If anyone has sent one in and actually saw an improvement, I'd like to hear about the process.  I know there is an excellent Leica repair service in Chicago, but before I try that route, I'd love to know if I'm on the right track.  Thanks for any input!

I’d be surprised to see responses of someone getting the focus of a Q fixed, but then I may not know what I don’t know.  The camera focuses based on the image on the sensor.  There is no possibility of a difference between a SLR focus mechanism and the sensor/film, nor of a difference between rangefinder patch and film/sensor.  It’s all based on one and the same.

9 hours ago, MikeD70 said:

I've been in this business most of my life, and with most systems, there are hits, and there are misses.  It seems that i am seeing a lot of the misses with my Q2.  Probably me, (I'm in my 70's, eyesight isn't what it used to be!) but in the past, I have had several cameras that needed to be sent in for focus checks and adjustment.  Is this a "thing" with the Q' cameras?

If anyone has sent one in and actually saw an improvement, I'd like to hear about the process.  I know there is an excellent Leica repair service in Chicago, but before I try that route, I'd love to know if I'm on the right track.  Thanks for any input!

What focus setting are you using? Multi-field, Field (what size rectangle?) or spot? All have the potential to focus somewhere other than you expected so it might be a question of trying the other ones to see what works best for you.

I have used the Q since its debut...in the ensuing years I have gotten older and my eyeglass prescription has changed numerous times...I as well have noticed that the focus has been off as of late--  I just came home with a new pair of glasses and another new prescription ..with luck the Q will fix itself.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the replies.  I did find one person that had this done, in fact, here is the items listed on his return paperwork from Leica repair;

-replace EVF

-cleaned sensor

- adjust auto focus

-adjust sensor/out of tolerance

-new sensor sealing

-new back leather covering

-check, adjust, clean

So, with that, mine is heading to a repair depot for some  "fine tuning"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE, I just received my Q2 back from Leica USA in New Jersey.  It was only about a 10 day turn around.  I mentioned that I had a trip coming up, and they rushed it.  Great people to work with, one of the best customer service groups I've encountered.  They said that while finding nothing obvious, they inspected, cleaned, and adjusted the camera,  and also listed a new skin/cover installed, as it needs to come off for the process.  Maybe just me, but it seems to be a bit quicker to focus, and frames look great.  The camera was returned via UPS overnight/next day delivery, before 11 A.M.  Interesting to note, my warrantee had expired, so I pre-authorized any charges that may have applied, there were no charges.  I am impressed with Leica service!  Can't say enough about how easy and pleasant the whole experience was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1