A ridiculous experience from Leica official online store

bigbeeb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would a Noctilux 50mm f/1.2 be considered "surveillance equipment?"

If so, might that - as a part of a €40000 order - have run afoul of this?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/28/eu-to-limit-export-of-sensitive-tech-in-response-to-hong-kong-security-law-384978

Which also includes "dual-use" products (don't forget Leica's - history - as a military optics contractor).

Sorry to touch on a sensitive subject area for the Forum - but sometimes that subject helps explain "mysteries." And sometimes officials can be over-enthusiastic.

1 hour ago, IkarusJohn said:

Absolutely - I have never suggested legal action.  Just instructing a good barrister would swallow the cost of the camera ...

Dear Friend, I don't plan to take legal action. I just feel incredible about the Leica online store.

What's worse, they would not like to talk to me any more, about this case. That make me like a unreasonable- person.

31 minutes ago, adan said:

Would a Noctilux 50mm f/1.2 be considered "surveillance equipment?"

If so, might that - as a part of a €40000 order - have run afoul of this?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/28/eu-to-limit-export-of-sensitive-tech-in-response-to-hong-kong-security-law-384978

Which also includes "dual-use" products (don't forget Leica's - history - as a military optics contractor).

Sorry to touch on a sensitive subject area for the Forum - but sometimes that subject helps explain "mysteries." And sometimes officials can be over-enthusiastic.

I could accept it, if they use this reason. That will be a global news.

Well, you must have triggered something. In my opinion thety owe you the courtesy to give you a reason for the strange decision to pass up a 40.000$ sale. I cannot imagine any shop in its right mind doing that without a valid reason. 

3 minutes ago, bigbeeb said:

I could accept it, if they use this reason. That will be a global news.

That can hardly be the reason. Leica exports to China - happily.

Maas also noted that his country already took a first step by immediately halting exports of military equipment and so-called dual-use goods to Hong Kong as it already does with China.

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Well, you must have triggered something. In my opinion thety owe you the courtesy to give you a reason for the strange decision to pass up a 40.000$ sale. I cannot imagine any shop in its right mind doing that without a valid reason. 

Maybe I’m not clear, so sorry. Before 06-Aug-2021, I spent around EUR 40,000 at their online store for the products as a private customer (To my knowledge, customer can gets some discounts when buying as a company customer).

I bought Noct 50mm 1.2 and MP at their online store, before 06-Aug-2021. So I could understand they may restrict customer repeat order popular products. But if private customer had successfully order and successfully paid, and they accepted the money, I think they should not cancel it use any reasons.

I had sent emails to their manager, explained why I order repeat products. But the manager seems Ignored all of my email, and don't want to discuss wit me, although he had mentioned will find a solution for the problem of exchange rate.

Before I order repeat products, I also asked their anther sale-person, could customer buy the same product at their online store? I got the "Yes" answer. Of course, the product must back-in-stock.

Now I found their online store can not deliver product to Hong Kong , not sure they restrict my account, or restrict deliver product to Hong Kong.

Edited by bigbeeb

16 minutes ago, bigbeeb said:

Maybe I’m not clear, so sorry. Before 06-Aug-2021, I spent around EUR 40,000 at their online store for the products as a private customer (To my knowledge, customer can gets some discounts when buying as a company customer).

I bought Noct 50mm 1.2 and MP at their online store, before 06-Aug-2021. So I could understand they may restrict customer repeat order popular products. But if private customer had successfully order and successfully paid, and they accepted the money, I think they should not cancel it use any reasons. (What I think does not mean what I want)

I had sent emails to their manager, explained why I order repeat products. But the manager seems Ignored all of my email, and don't want to discuss wit me, although he had mentioned will find a solution for the problem of exchange rate.

Before I order repeat products, I also asked their anther sale-person, could customer buy the same product at their online store? I got the "Yes" answer. Of course, the product must back-in-stock.

Now I found their online store can not deliver product to Hong Kong , not sure they restrict my account, or restrict deliver product to Hong Kong.

18 minutes ago, bigbeeb said:

I bought Noct 50mm 1.2 and MP at their online store, before 06-Aug-2021. So I could understand they may restrict customer repeat order popular products. But if private customer had successfully order and successfully paid, and they accepted the money, I think they should not cancel it use any reasons.

I had sent emails to their manager, explained why I order repeat products. But the manager seems ignored all of my email, and don't want to discuss wit me, although he had mentioned will find a solution for the problem of exchange rate.

What I think does not mean what I want, especially Austria always ignored me.

I already requested the credit card centre to waive additional fees for these transactions. Hope my card centre can solute it.

• 2 weeks later...

I read this article essentially out of curiosity and while reading I also learned a few things thanks to the contributions of people with experience.

I do not know the shops involved, I'm a simple  "naive consumer" and can only say the explanation to refuse a sale because "too much" is simply ridicolous, I never heard something similar. Of course there can be valid reasons to do it (like money laundry regulations for example) but in this case thay could simply explain it!

Interesting discussion anyway.

On 8/19/2021 at 7:05 PM, robert blu said:

I read this article essentially out of curiosity and while reading I also learned a few things thanks to the contributions of people with experience.

I do not know the shops involved, I'm a simple  "naive consumer" and can only say the explanation to refuse a sale because "too much" is simply ridicolous, I never heard something similar. Of course there can be valid reasons to do it (like money laundry regulations for example) but in this case thay could simply explain it!

Interesting discussion anyway.

I paid by credit card for every transaction. I don't think there are money laundry.