Sigma 150-600 Sport Lens

johntobias

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I see this was announced today...anyone have any experience of the long sigmas??  as now a native L mount, this could be the wildlife lens of choice??  currently using an old Nikon 300 adapted in manual focus mode and didn't think the novoflex autofocus Nikon E to SL adapter was any good.    your thoughts??  I've never used sigma branded glass before in all my years and know little re quality/build etc

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/s014_150_600_5_63/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chris_tribble said:

I wasn't clear that this is designed for L mount...

Corresponding AF Mounts / Barcode No.

• SIGMA SA-Mount
    00-85126-74056-6
  • Nikon F Mount
    00-85126-74055-9
  • Canon EF Mount
    00-85126-74054-2

There was a new version announced today in the DG DN Sports line for E-mount and L-mount.  I'm quite interested in it although it sounds like experiences with the Sigma L-mount 100-400 have been mixed.

I have the Sigma 100-400 DG DN and I was having real trouble getting sharp images. I read some posts on this site and found that it performs best after F8. The picture below was taken with the SL2  handheld about 300mm at F13. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Exciting as it may sound, I’m of an opinion it’s only a Sigma lens. For me, I’m better served with the Leica 90-280 zoom on my SL2 and my CL. And I’d rather buy Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM Lens and the 1.4x and 2x extenders with the Sigma adapter. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Shawn30 said:

I have the Sigma 100-400 DG DN and I was having real trouble getting sharp images. I read some posts on this site and found that it performs best after F8. The picture below was taken with the SL2  handheld about 300mm at F13. 

This is not a problem I'm having with the 100-400. It performs well at any aperture. Sure my 90-280 is better but the Sigma is surprisingly good.

Gordon

• Like 1

As an avid user of an ancient 560 Telyt-R + 1.4 TC and various converters to L mount, I’m intrigued by this lens. That said, call me “old school” but I am concerned by the large element count removing all the “soul” and micro-contrast from the image compared to the M and S glass I usually have mounted on my SL2. That said, I’m open to counter arguments as using the Telyt-R bazooka (with a large helping of CA) has its own drawbacks.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

This is not a problem I'm having with the 100-400. It performs well at any aperture. Sure my 90-280 is better but the Sigma is surprisingly good.

Gordon

+1 I've been pleasantly surprised by this lens. I had read a great deal of negative comments on here about the Sigma 100-400mm L prior to acquiring it.

As long as one works within & accepts this len's limitations, it's very good. The main limitation I've found is that IQ is good up to a subject distance of 15m to 20m max. Also best to use it with the electronic shutter in good light, to reduce shutter slap, but that's true for all of these long lenses on mirrorless cameras.

Agree it's not near the VE90-280mm L, bearing in mind that the Sigma costs 1/8 of the price of the Leica lens it would be absurd to expect it to be as good. However for my use it does have longer reach & versatility in terms of its focal length & weight, my Leica 90-280mm L is seeing less use.  

Based on my experience with the Sigma 100-400mm L I'm looking forward to trying out the Sigma 150-600mm L. 

Sample image:  SL2-S & Sigma 100-400mm L  @400mm Subject distance was approx. 12m (please click on image for better res.) 

Scarlet-chested Sunbird (Chalcomitra senegalensis) Zuka Game Reserve, South Africa.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, meerec said:

For this distance, 90-280 zoom wouldn’t be just perfect even for small birds?

Speaking from my personal experience, I find the VE90-280mm just too short for birding. For general wildlife I've no issue with the 90-280mm. Even with the SL2 & its larger sensor with the VE90-280mm I've had to do some heavy cropping to get anywhere a decent image for small birds. I've done some comparative shots which illustrate this, I'll try & dig these images out.

If only Leica made at least a 1.4x L mount converter........

• Like 3

@Jeff S thanks for the links, especially the Hugh Brownstone review. I've always liked Hugh's delivery, IMO refreshing & thorough. Plenty of food for thought in his review as he delves into cropping with high MP cameras vs using teleconverters (from about 13m20s) & comparisons with other lenses & AF speed. 

• Like 1

well, with all the positive reviews and 'bang for buck'  I've just pre-ordered this lens....for my type of photography it could just be ideal...yes a 90-280 WILL be better but it is 4.5X the price , currently I'm using an adapted Nikon 300 f2.8 which works well but manual focus and not long enough effectively making me crop (thankfully the SL2 has aenough res to get away with that)  so, as soon as I get it, I'll post some real ham-fisted amateur reviews and shots

at £1200 it would be rude not to!   as it is, the longest leica glass I've got is a 135 tele-elmar !

• Like 2

8 hours ago, michali said:

Speaking from my personal experience, I find the VE90-280mm just too short for birding. For general wildlife I've no issue with the 90-280mm. Even with the SL2 & its larger sensor with the VE90-280mm I've had to do some heavy cropping to get anywhere a decent image for small birds. I've done some comparative shots which illustrate this, I'll try & dig these images out.

If only Leica made at least a 1.4x L mount converter........

I find I gravitate towards 300-400mm for medium to large mammals like bears and such. With smaller animals like foxes, especially wild ones that are skittish and not the ones that are habituated by humans, a 600-800mm would be work better. For birds, it all depends on how close you can get to the birds and their size. For a medium sized and relatively approachable bird like a spruce grouse, a 90-280mm would be sufficient but for anything smaller and one that you can’t get close to, then much more reach is needed.

That being said, I’ve also shot wildlife with an iPhone in panorama mode. So it all depends on what you’re after.

And here’s the crop from the same iPhone image straight out of camera:

Edited by beewee
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, michali said:

+1 I've been pleasantly surprised by this lens. I had read a great deal of negative comments on here about the Sigma 100-400mm L prior to acquiring it.

As long as one works within & accepts this len's limitations, it's very good. The main limitation I've found is that IQ is good up to a subject distance of 15m to 20m max. Also best to use it with the electronic shutter in good light, to reduce shutter slap, but that's true for all of these long lenses on mirrorless cameras.

Agree it's not near the VE90-280mm L, bearing in mind that the Sigma costs 1/8 of the price of the Leica lens it would be absurd to expect it to be as good. However for my use it does have longer reach & versatility in terms of its focal length & weight, my Leica 90-280mm L is seeing less use.  

Based on my experience with the Sigma 100-400mm L I'm looking forward to trying out the Sigma 150-600mm L. 

Sample image:  SL2-S & Sigma 100-400mm L  @400mm Subject distance was approx. 12m (please click on image for better res.) 

Scarlet-chested Sunbird (Chalcomitra senegalensis) Zuka Game Reserve, South Africa.

I'm not having issues at any distance.

Gordon