M10 Monochrom shutter failure

radialMelt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welp, never thought it would happen to me... camera purchased in March 2021. Been using it quite frequently over the past few months, and loving it as well. Turned it on this afternoon and every image recorded is black. Live view is also completely black. Tried opening the shutter for the cleaning procedure - nothing. When I press the shutter release I hear a very faint mechanical clicking. Seems the shutter has failed. Worst thing is I have a vacation in 3 weeks that I was really looking forward to using the M10m for. Argh.

Putting this out there as a record should anyone else suffer the same fate. Of course, if you have any suggestions of things to try before bringing it back to the shop, I'm all ears/eyes.

Cheers

35 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Inform Leica of your vacation when sending the camera in by giving them a personal call. They have been known to  provide a loaner occasionally.

This. With the lens removed, and not trying to open the shutter via the sensor cleaning option, does the shutter actuate at all? Like if you were to set the shutter speed to, say, 1/500th and press the shutter release, can you see the shutter moving as weakly as it sounds like it is? Not that that is going to solve your problem, but could be useful info for the Leica store. Perhaps even recording a video and sending to them. Sorry to hear. 

The shutter of my M10-P failed after a year of daily use, a week before leaving on a trip. I contacted Michel at customer service and made an appointment to bring the camera to Wetzlar. Leica replaced the shutter in one day while I waited. If traveling to Wetzlar is feasible for you that’s the fastest way to get it fixed. 

12 hours ago, jaapv said:

Inform Leica of your vacation when sending the camera in by giving them a personal call. They have been known to  provide a loaner occasionally.

Thanks, I'm going to try with my local Leica Boutique first. I intend on playing the vacation sympathy card as best as I can.

11 hours ago, leicameech said:

This. With the lens removed, and not trying to open the shutter via the sensor cleaning option, does the shutter actuate at all? Like if you were to set the shutter speed to, say, 1/500th and press the shutter release, can you see the shutter moving as weakly as it sounds like it is? Not that that is going to solve your problem, but could be useful info for the Leica store. Perhaps even recording a video and sending to them. Sorry to hear. 

Zero movement sadly, regardless of shutter settings. Just a faint click noise like a relay or something. But nothing that comes close to the normally satisfying shutter clunk.

6 hours ago, ELAN said:

The shutter of my M10-P failed after a year of daily use, a week before leaving on a trip. I contacted Michel at customer service and made an appointment to bring the camera to Wetzlar. Leica replaced the shutter in one day while I waited. If traveling to Wetzlar is feasible for you that’s the fastest way to get it fixed. 

Perhaps I should change my holiday plans to go to Germany instead :)

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I will keep the thread updated.

• Haha 1