Generic L Bracket for M10

rclompus

Indeed I don't see why it should not work. Anyway as Leica doesn't make one, you  must find in third party solutions.

I 've been convinced long time ago of the usefulness of L-brackets and used to buy the ad hoc one each time I got a new body. Tired of having to sell it separetely or give it with the body when selling it, I opted for a universal one made of two identical arca profiles that can be screwed perpendicular; not so sexy but efficient.

Arca Swiss makes one for more than 200USD ...the one you don't give with the body you sell.

Edited by Gelatino

Thank you for your responses. There are no more camera shops in my area of Northern California. I recently purchased the Arca Swiss L bracket. It’s beautiful engineering but more robust than I needed for an M camera. It’s currently for sale at a very good price at PopFlash.com. 

The 3 Legged Thing universal L bracket looks interesting and is fairly inexpensive. More work to do investigating a generic brackets for an M camera. 

Stay healthy & be well. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Helge said:

May be I‘m not up to the latest and greatest, but I need to ask: what is the actual benefit of that L bracket?

I didn’t miss one yet

Easier to use a camera on a tripod both horizontally or vertically in one movement.  You can switch the camera without realigning the ball head each time. 

Particularly useful in landscape photography. 

• Like 1

And: #1 the gravity center of the combo is in alignment with the head instead of being on the side in portrait mode, which can be risky if the combo is heavy compared to the tripod.                    #2  if the head is not strong enough the vertical position may be hard to achieve and maintain.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/3/2021 at 2:58 PM, rclompus said:

The 3 Legged Thing universal L bracket looks interesting and is fairly inexpensive. More work to do investigating a generic brackets for an M camera. 

So did you try the 3 legged thing bracket and did it work OK on an M10?  Interested to know as I've been looking for an L bracket.

I have the Really Right Stuff L-bracket and Grip for my Leica M-P typ 240 camera, and they make a similar one for the M10 series. It's a perfectly engineered alternative bottom for the Leica M camera, and you can choose versions with or without the grip. It has Arca Swiss bevels along the bottom and the rangefinder side. I've shot night photos with it and it's very, very solid. https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/shop/camera-lens-optics/camera-plates/leica-cameras

I don't use one very much but got a Desmond L Plate DAL-1 on Amazon for $19.95.  It's a universal-type bracket and is actually pretty nice for the price.  It adjusts to most cameras and I've used it with my M and CL.  

https://www.amazon.com/Desmond-DAL-1-Release-Compatible-Camera/dp/B00AR04OI2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Desmond+L+Plate+DAL-1&qid=1636770565&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Edited by Camaro5

Thank you for the recommendations.  I’ve decided to go with a different solution:  the Novoflex Magicball Mini head.  It will hold up to 11 pounds. It easily works in many angles and tightens easily with a twist of the handle.  

https://novoflexus.com/novoflex-magicball-mini-ball-head/

Thank you for everyone’s recommendations.  

Stay heal they & Be well.