M9-P Sensor Replacement

Daniel H. L

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear friends,

I have an M9-P with a corroded sensor and have been looking to see if there is still a chance to fix or replace the sensor since Leica is no longer offer the service.

I found that Kolari Vision can now repair the Leica M9 sensor and replace it with corrosion resistant glass for $999.

https://kolarivision.com/leica-m9-sensor-corrosion-repair/

I was wondering if it is for only M9 as I have a M9-P.

And I tried to find some reviews about the services but was not able to find so if any info of the reviews of the repair services would be greatly appreciated as I am planning on repairing my M9-P sensor if it is possible.

It would be appreciated if there is any info of replacement or fixing a corroded sensor of M9-P, not an M9.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Kolarivision does a lot of thin cover glass conversions on brands other than Leica, and has an excellent reputation.

I would trust them with the cover glass replacement if I still had my M9-P. The issue of corrosion on the M9 cameras was in a defective cover glass that was used, not in the sensor itself. The M9 and M9-P have the same sensor.

• Like 2

I strongly suspect that the M9-P is identical, as far as sensor cover replacement goes, to the M9. I believe they're friendly and reply quickly to emailed questions of this sort.

I learned about Kolari back when they started modifying Sony A7's to make them more compatible with rangefinder/film lenses; that task seems rather similar to replacing a Leica M9 sensor, perhaps with the added difficulty of removing the thinner Leica cover. Back then, they were already established as a provider of full-, partial-, and IR-spectrum conversions, yet another nearly identical task. I haven't looked into it too closely, but I do not have any impression of recurring problems or poor service. I suspect you'd find reviews of them if you searched for discussions of those services instead of M9 repairs.

My own impression of them is positive. If I were in the market to replace my M9, I'd seriously consider buying an M9 with a corroded sensor and sending it to them or MaxMax, a company providing similar services.

• Like 2

[ Update ]

Thank you very much derleicaman and JonPB for the replies.

I just contacted the Kolari Vision and I was told that they can only repair the cover glass on M9 and M-E, not M9-P.

I thought they can do fix the cover glass as the sensor on both M9 and M9-P is same.

it is sad to hear that and I don't know what to do with my M9-P.

Now the MaxMax is the only option to fix the sensor but I was concerning their services after I read this below.

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174228

Any suggestions or advices for me about my M9-P would be appreciated.

I really want to fix the corrosion issue in order to use it for long.

Thank you again derleicaman and JonPB!

PS.  Is there any ways to reply to each replies? I don't see any buttons to reply to each replies separately.

Edited by Daniel H. L

• 3 weeks later...

The leica m9 and m9p and m-e220 all is same sensor,

This example for my leica m9 kolari vision glass sensor replacement >

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by sultanqtr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

m9 kolrivision + summilux 28mm at f16

Am 2.8.2021 um 18:55 schrieb Daniel H. L:

[ Update ]

Thank you very much derleicaman and JonPB for the replies.

I just contacted the Kolari Vision and I was told that they can only repair the cover glass on M9 and M-E, not M9-P.

I thought they can do fix the cover glass as the sensor on both M9 and M9-P is same.

it is sad to hear that and I don't know what to do with my M9-P.

Now the MaxMax is the only option to fix the sensor but I was concerning their services after I read this below.

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174228

Any suggestions or advices for me about my M9-P would be appreciated.

I really want to fix the corrosion issue in order to use it for long.

Thank you again derleicaman and JonPB!

PS.  Is there any ways to reply to each replies? I don't see any buttons to reply to each replies separately.

I had mine also done by maxmax. I do NOT recommend it. Strange and long term. Strange Man. Strange communication.

When I read the link, it was the same I experienced with this company. It is going in the Scamming (Fraud) direction.

Edited by analog-digital

• 1 year later...