M9 maxmax Monochrome conversion??

fishdrummer1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M9 is due for a ccd fix. I also have a Monochrome which I love.

has anyone used maxmax for ccd repair?

https://maxmax.com/maincamerapage/monochrome-cameras/leica-monochrome/leica-m9

I was thinking of converting it to monochrome? dumb idea for the cost? 

Thanks 

We can offer the following conversion options:

1: Replace the defective ICF with a new ICF leaving the camera as a color camera: $1,500

2: Replace the defective ICF with a UV-VIS-IR window making the camera into a full spectrum color camera: $1,500. 

Note that with this conversion, you will generally want to use a filter on your lens.  For visible light pictures, you would use our UV and IR blocking XNiteCC1 filter.  If you wanted to take an IR picture, you could use a variety of IR longpass and bandpass filters.  If you wanted to take a UV picture, you would use a UV shortpass filter.  We have hundreds of filter options in diameters from 25mm to 82mm.

3: Replace the defective ICF with a new ICF and change the sensor to monochrome: $2,500

4: Replace the defective ICF with a UV-VIS-IR windows making the camera into a full spectrum monochrome camera : $2,500. 

UV sensitivity will be about 6x greater than leaving the camera as a color camera.  Again, you would generally be using filters on your lens depending on what type of light you want the camera to see.

I would only convert to monochrome if I could also load the Monochrom firmware. When last I looked, realizing the benefits of a monochrome sensor with firmware/software that expects a Bayer filter requires dumping the raw data manually, e.g. into a 16-bit TIFF, before processing; but then the tools that work specifically with raw data will reject those files as being already interpolated. Nothing prohibitive but a lot of headache, all of which would go away on an M9 with Monochrom firmware. I think they do that? Best to check.

I used to have both a Monochrom and M9. Having color as an option is nice even in an all-B&W workflow: for adjusting luminance by color, correcting lateral chromatic aberrations before B&W conversion, recovering blown highlights, having a lower base sensitivity for wider-aperture shooting, or just being able to share snapshots with folks who expect color. But there is a lot of convenience in having functionally identical cameras, too.