Tethering Issues with Capture one pro

SJB27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello there,

I was hoping that if someone can save me from pulling my eyes out. I recently picked up 2 used SL cameras and I have to say, man oh man the image quality as everyone knows is amazing.

I bought them due to the fact that I wanted Leica to become my headshot camera.

So for the past Year I have been using Capture one with their tethering cables.

Time and time again the camera would just stop connecting to the computer. I was using a  older iMac so I thought it was the iMac, even though it needed to be replaced as  the iMac was running slow, so I was finally able to pick up the new iMac and still I'm unable to shoot confidently  without losing connection and getting a Camera error usually. 

I have been in contact with the capture one and they said they do support Leica even more now with the update, but it sure doesn't feel like it. They told me to plug everything from the back of my iMac, and so I did, I have no card in the camera, even though sometimes the camera says no card in the camera when I am trying to tether. 

Suggestions?

Remove the SD Cards, and turn Power Safe off. Use the original USB-Cable that comes with the Camera. If possible use a tether tools tether boost pro.

Despite all of this, it won't work really reliable. If you start shooting at a faster pace images will get lost. You always have to keep an eye on that. If you shoot slowly it works ok, but you have to keep an eye on it to.. I have been through all of this since 2016. Watched Folder...Image Shuttle... you name it. Lightroom tether plug in doesn't work better either.

I got the SL2-S recently and tethering is stable, super fast and flawless with C1. 

Good Luck

Robert

• Like 2

Thanks to all. Robert Why do you think there are so many issues? I wish Leica would come out with their own tethering like Hasselblad Phocus. I wish I had the funds to trade up to a used SL-2 

Regarding the power save mode, where is this located? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use the IQwire USB-C to USB-C 16.5' 5m cable. and often in studio the 10m version. you can find it on amazon.

You will find that Capture one is the only solution. Phocus has so many problems. Lightroom is a joke in speed. the Leica program has not been updated to work well and you get the same disconnecting problem plus others.

not sure what you are shooting, wireless tethering over wifi is terrible, don't even think about it. if you just have a still-life just use the iPad app. If you are shooting a regular section the only option is the USB-C cable.

in the camera menu turn on power true USB, and the camera to never sleep. To make it easier I set up a studio preset that does all that + manual exposure, DNG only, 100 ISO, AF-s.

• Like 1

No, I have dismantled them. Only being iPhoto, but nothing opens up. What prompted me to finally seek help, was just yesterday during a headshot session, the camera was able to take one image and then loose connection, I had to take out the battery several times for it to get going again. 

Would be nice if Leica developed their own tethering software.

2 hours ago, SJB27 said:

Would be nice if Leica developed their own tethering software.

I am glad leica had decided to move on from creating the program and adopting Capture one. you can still go to there website and use it, it is terrible.LEICA IMAGE SHUTTLE 3.8 - MAC

In any case it is not the camera or capture one, it is the Mac OS the problem, you are better off restating the Mac and not the camera. Shuttle would have the same issues and more. 

the connection timeout easily on the Mac . often from other apps opening or SD card in the camera

• Like 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb SJB27:

Will try restarting next time. I don't have a card in the camera. I wonder if I should shut down all running apps, mail, spotty. 

Do you think SL2 is better fit? Not going to buy but just curious.

SL(601) is a joke for tethering. I always had issues and at least sold it and used a Panasonic S1/R for a while. SL2 now works fine for me. 

• Like 2

There are still issues with tethering via Capture One, even with the SL2. But removing the SD cards (or at least one) normally resolves the issue. Also, if you use the Tether Tools 4.5m cable, the length of the cable may result in dropped connections when using laptop computers (MacBook Pro etc) on account of the USB port not supplying enough power. The solutions are either Tether Tool’s own TetherBoost or pretty much any powered USB hub, such as from OWC, that has a USB PD (power delivery) port.  The combination of the above has so far worked for me, even though the camera/computer sometimes need some persuasion, like restarting Capture One or the camera, unplugging the cable/hub and connecting it to a different USB port on the computer etc.

You can also try to tether with Lightroom via the Leica tether plugin which I think works fine now (did so about a year ago, finally....) unless something else changed in the meantime.

On a separate note, if you encounter issues with Leica Fotos, try switching off your VPN software (and beware that it may insist on switching itself on automatically the moment you turn it off).

Edited by albireo_double
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/3/2021 at 11:52 AM, albireo_double said:

There are still issues with tethering via Capture One, even with the SL2. But removing the SD cards (or at least one) normally resolves the issue. Also, if you use the Tether Tools 4.5m cable, the length of the cable may result in dropped connections when using laptop computers (MacBook Pro etc) on account of the USB port not supplying enough power. The solutions are either Tether Tool’s own TetherBoost or pretty much any powered USB hub, such as from OWC, that has a USB PD (power delivery) port.  The combination of the above has so far worked for me, even though the camera/computer sometimes need some persuasion, like restarting Capture One or the camera, unplugging the cable/hub and connecting it to a different USB port on the computer etc.

You can also try to tether with Lightroom via the Leica tether plugin which I think works fine now (did so about a year ago, finally....) unless something else changed in the meantime.

On a separate note, if you encounter issues with Leica Fotos, try switching off your VPN software (and beware that it may insist on switching itself on automatically the moment you turn it off).

I'm a working photographer and I just made a switch to the SL system. Although I'm very aware it's an "old system", I decided to give a try and maybe grow in the system slowly. I also got the Lumix S 35, 50 and 85. The viewfinder and LCD are a little outdated, and contrast detection AF is far away from perfect, but can say I liked it so far.

The major problem for me right now is the inconsistency with tethering. I use Capture One most of the time for my work, so it is really important for my workflow. Removing the SD cards helped a little, but I still can get through a shooting session entirely without it stop working several times — very unsettling and unprofessional for me I must admit.

My point is: did you get it working properly with the help of TetherBoost?

The situation has been changing, depending on computer and version of software. There were times when tethering worked fine for me, but on a recent shoot it was a different story. The culprit seems to be underpowered USB ports on the Macbook Pro. I've had more success with the various independently powered OWC thunderbolt/USB hubs. 

9 hours ago, albireo_double said:

The situation has been changing, depending on computer and version of software. There were times when tethering worked fine for me, but on a recent shoot it was a different story. The culprit seems to be underpowered USB ports on the Macbook Pro. I've had more success with the various independently powered OWC thunderbolt/USB hubs. 

Thank you for your reply.

That's annoying… I used a bunch of major cameras brands of the years and none of them have had problems during tethering when shooting with Capture One. Such a basic feature if you are planning to use the camera as a working photographer.